Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Frontier 3.3l SC 4x4 crew cab with the P0031 code still showing after I replaced the whole exhaust system and all the O2 sensors. This truck has some major rust from being in snow a lot. I am really puzzled. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Download the factory service manual for your model year Frontier.

If you replaced all your O2 sensors, did you use stock Nissan OEM O2 sensors or did you use aftermarket. Were those aftermarket O2 Sensors Bosch or Denso?? PO031 code refers to a faulty Heater Control Circuit on you O2 sensor.

You either have a short in the wiring harness leading to the Oxygen Sensor or your have a bad Oxygen Sensor....

Hope this helps....Good Luck....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2003 Frontier 3.3l SC 4x4 crew cab with the P0031 code still showing after I replaced the whole exhaust system and all the O2 sensors. This truck has some major rust from being in snow a lot. I am really puzzled. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
I used aftermarket Denso sensors. I replaced the same sensor a year ago and took it to a decent mechanic after it was showing this same code and they told me I needed to replace the post catalytic converter. I realized that the bolts were so bad they had fused to the metal so I decided to replace everything. After everything had been replaced except that one sensor a year ago the code was still showing up. I decided to replace it thinking it was a bad sensor from the start, and it is still showing the same code.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Do you have an OBD II Code Reader that you can connect to your Frontier to see if you can monitor the voltage / signal coming out of your Oxygen Sensor?? If you do, what kind of readings are you getting?? Are those readings matching up with what's listed in your model year Factory Service Manual for your Oxygen Sensor?? If you are NOT getting any readings coming out of your Oxygen sensor to the Engine Control Unit, or if the reading are not within specifications, your ECU is going to trigger the PO031 Code. You are going to have to trace the wires inside your wiring harness & the ground wire from the ECU to the actual Oxygen sensor You'll need a volt meter & continuity tester to check the wiring harness, connector & ground wire for voltage & shorts in the wiring. If any of those wires are bad, you kick out the PO031 code. You'll also need one of those non-contact heat thermometer, (you can pick one up a Home Depot or Amazon), to see if the heater circuit on your Oxygen sensor is getting voltage & heating up like it's supposed to be doing during startup / warmup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts