·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just won a auction
2002 Frontier S/C V6 110,000 miles.

RE: Timing Belt-- Recommended change interval 105,000 miles / 84 months

I am presuming the timing belt has not been changed.
After reading the sticky on the subject (all 25 pages) last night,

I can't remember seeing if the condition of the belt is easily inspected.
Would someone tell me if the condition of the belt can be inspected on a pre-purchase ? THANKS

I live about 700 miles from PA and don't want to risk the trip if the belt is sketchy.

Also, Is there any other suggested areas that are problematic on the S/C supercharged 3.3L motors
that should pay special attention to?

Obviously, I will check for rust, engine codes, blow-by, compression but not being a mechanic myself,
I hope any suggestions that I can pass along to a shop that I am going to hire to a pre buy would help.

Thanks in advance to all.

Bob

·
Registered
2017 Pro-4X w/Luxury Package
953 Posts
Pretty positive you cannot inspect it without some disassembly. Unless there's documentation that it's been changed, assume it hasn't and use that as a bargaining chip in your negotiations. A dealer will be around $1000 for the entire job (belt, water pump, seals, etc.) so use that info to see what you can knock off the price.

Other than that, not sure about S/C specific things to look at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Pretty positive you cannot inspect it without some disassembly. Unless there's documentation that it's been changed, assume it hasn't and use that as a bargaining chip in your negotiations. A dealer will be around $1000 for the entire job (belt, water pump, seals, etc.) so use that info to see what you can knock off the price.

Other than that, not sure about S/C specific things to look at.
Red, Doctor

OK, thanks…

I'll do some 'you tube' lurking, maybe I'll find it.
Leave at 3:30am to catch my flight to Philly.

much appreciated

·
Registered
2017 Pro-4X w/Luxury Package
953 Posts
Red, Doctor

OK, thanks…

I'll do some 'you tube' lurking, maybe I'll find it.
Leave at 3:30am to catch my flight to Philly.

much appreciated
LOL Desert Runner, not doctor.

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
Cracked exhaust manifolds, hydraulic lifter tapping, bad knock sensors, bad distributors or distributor bearings, leaking rear oil pan seals and rear main seals, leaking valve cover gaskets are things to look for on any VG engine. Timing belt is best to replace if you don't know the history...and while you are in there: front cam and crank seals, water pump, tensioner pulley...drive belts and idler pulleys as needed. Leaking power steering pumps and power steering hoses. As far as specific to the supercharged, keep in mind there are two supercharged models. The SC trim is the better of the two and typically has leather seats, 17" wheels, etc. The SVE (Supercharged Value Edition) has the supercharged engine and badges, but is closer to an XE model, otherwise. It'll have cloth seats, more basic radio than the SC, 16" alloys. As far as specific problems to these models, the biggest concern would be a rattling noise coming from the supercharger, which would indicate it needs to be replaced or rebuilt. Make sure the boost actuator and boost solenoid are working properly. Check your vacuum hoses and replace as needed; I replaced mine with blue silicone vacuum hose, which match the NGK wires I installed. Get used to lousy gas mileage (12 mpg is not uncommon) and use premium fuel, 91 octane or better. If it still has the factory air cleaner and resonators, you'll get better response (as well as more noise) if you replace it with an less-restrictive, aftermarket CAI system. Changing to a smaller supercharger pulley will also get you more power; most go with a 2.4 pulley. Check out Pulley Boys or South Florida Pulley Headquarters on the web.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts