Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 frontier XE 2.4l manual king cab(not the full for door) i just got it and im only getting around 18mpg city. not driving it hard just driving.I think i should be getting like 20-22 in the city.everything is stock for now.If anybody has any input then please let me know. thanks

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Search through the 4 banger thread. You will have to dig a little probably but there have been a couple discussions over there about your engines gas mileage.
X2, the 4 cylinder owners might know more then us v6 guys. but to answer your question has your truck ever been maintained? if not it might need a good tune up.

·
Registered
890 Posts
ive got a friend with one and thats about what she gets, sometimes 19, but never over like even 25 or somethin on the freeway, i was actually suprised when i heard i thoughts be a loot better

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have an 02 frontier XE 2.4l manual king cab(not the full for door) i just got it and im only getting around 18mpg city. not driving it hard just driving.I think i should be getting like 20-22 in the city.everything is stock for now.If anybody has any input then please let me know. thanks

What is "city driving"?

I don't think I've ever run a tank strictly city. I lean towards highway, probably 60%, and my "city" driving is really "small town" driving; that is, not a lot of stop & go or sitting at lights. With that, i get 25 MPG regularly, but if I had true city driving, I think under 20 MPG would be likely.

How many miles do you have on the truck? If you are not sure of the maintenance history, you may want to take care of any that would normally be due.

but never over like even 25 or somethin on the freeway
With my very conservative driving and on flat roads, I expect (and have seen) 28-30 MPG on highway trips.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Well with all my mods and my 31's according to my GPS's trip computer i constantly get around 19mpg ALL highway (i routinely make 6 hour trips up to my parents house) with you being stock, you should see better MPG then i do...

·
Registered
904 Posts
In mostly city driving, I get 22-23 MPG virtually every tank. I lean into it modestly, not excessively. I have never calculated anything less than 22 MPG, but have topped 25 very occasionally.

My old '94 tops 25 regularly, but it's a much lighter truck.

You must be driving like a grandpa, jerryp58. :)

EDIT: I should have noted I use my Frontier as a work truck and it is loaded down with lots of tools, supplies, and two big fiberglass extension ladders. 25 MPG would be much more likely running naked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is "city driving"?

I don't think I've ever run a tank strictly city. I lean towards highway, probably 60%, and my "city" driving is really "small town" driving; that is, not a lot of stop & go or sitting at lights. With that, i get 25 MPG regularly, but if I had true city driving, I think under 20 MPG would be likely.

How many miles do you have on the truck? If you are not sure of the maintenance history, you may want to take care of any that would normally be due.

With my very conservative driving and on flat roads, I expect (and have seen) 28-30 MPG on highway trips.
it was strictly city alot of stop and go ima go all highway this weekend and i will calculate what im getting highway.there is 100k miles on the truck ad im not sure of the maintenance history. i did do an oil change when i got it. but its probably due for plugs.
thanks again for everyone's input

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You must be driving like a grandpa, jerryp58. :)
I do, but wait, I AM A GRANDPA!

Typically no more than 2500 RPM shifts and no more than 60 MPH on the highway.

there is 100k miles on the truck ad im not sure of the maintenance history. i did do an oil change when i got it. but its probably due for plugs.
thanks again for everyone's input
I'm a little overly zealous when it comes to maintenance, but I'd take a look at the plug wires, distributor cap & rotor, air cleaner, PCV filter element (in the air cleaner housing) too and I would change the fuel filter and run a fuel injector cleaner (or Seafoam) through it. It's been a little while, but I think the 4-cyl 2wd's call for a trans oil change around 100k. FWIW, here's some of my thoughts on Amsoil... LINK.

·
Registered
890 Posts
jerry= ocd ;) but very thurough and informed, he gets the kinda mileage that people wish they could but dont have the patience to get lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts