Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I have a 2002 frontier, supercharged 3.3, auto trans....the motor is hurt and knocking.

I want to do an engine swap but cannot find any good milage s.c. engines local.
Wondering what engines I can swap in. Id love to do an upgrade to maybe a v8? What about the stronger infinity lineups? But I want something that will bolt up to my existing auto trans.

A nice simple bolt-in swap....maybe just a re-flash or whatever.

Thanx in advance for any help!

Located in the Denver area

·
Registered
89 Posts
Best advice would be to rebuild your engine or keep looking for a used SC engine. Maybe expand your search radius and pay a little to get it shipped if you can find a good lower mileage used engine a little further out.

I can't remember seeing any threads on this forum from anyone doing engine swaps on a first gen. I wouldn't expect any aspect of this idea to be a "A nice simple bolt-in swap....maybe just a re-flash or whatever". A lot of custom work to physically fit a different engine and then the electrical/ECU side of getting everything working would be even more difficult. Economically it would never make sense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best advice would be to rebuild your engine or keep looking for a used SC engine. Maybe expand your search radius and pay a little to get it shipped if you can find a good lower mileage used engine a little further out.

I can't remember seeing any threads on this forum from anyone doing engine swaps on a first gen. I wouldn't expect any aspect of this idea to be a "A nice simple bolt-in swap....maybe just a re-flash or whatever". A lot of custom work to physically fit a different engine and then the electrical/ECU side of getting everything working would be even more difficult. Economically it would never make sense.
That's not what I wanted to hear!! 🤣🤣

You ARE the 2nd person to tell me that though....

·
Registered
899 Posts
READ THIS:
2000 Frontier 3.3L - need new engine | Nissan Frontier Forum (clubfrontier.org)

You Can SuperCharge a regular NA VG33E only difference is the crank and pistons are forged and it has a Cast Iron block. The compression ratio difference between the 2 is pretty much negligible at 8.5:1 vs 9.1:1. The NA engine has lower compression than the SC engine and you'll get a horsepower boost of like 5-7 Horse. There's more than enough threads on the web where people have supercharged a the NA VG33E

The VG35 from a Pathfinder on the R50 Frame is supposed to drop right in and its my understanding that the VG33 Trans mates right up to the VQ35. Pathfinders from like 01-04 are on the R50 Frame and use the VQ35. From 96-00 The Pathfinder was on the R50 Frame as well but used the VG33. So basically, the Pathfinder got the upgraded engine on the same frame and the Frontier didn't. Not to confuse, the 1st Gen Frontier sits on the D22 Frame. You need the complete harness from the Pathfinder and the ECU as well. The VQ35 gets like 235HP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
READ THIS:
2000 Frontier 3.3L - need new engine | Nissan Frontier Forum (clubfrontier.org)

You Can SuperCharge a regular NA VG33E only difference is the crank and pistons are forged. The compression ratio difference between the 2 is pretty much negligible at 8.5:1 vs 9.1:1. The NA engine has lower compression than the SC engine and you'll get a horsepower boost of like 5-7 Horse. There's more than enough threads on the web where people have supercharged a the NA VG33E
Great info.
Thank you.

But at 5-7 horses I may just elect to run it NA. will my current ECM run a NA or would it need a flash?

Thanx again

·
Registered
899 Posts
Great info.
Thank you.

But at 5-7 horses I may just elect to run it NA. will my current ECM run a NA or would it need a flash?

Thanx again
I edited my above post.

The SC gets 210 horse. The NA gets 170-180 depending on what year. in 03 the Frontier and Xterra got the updated Exhuast manifolds which adds an extra 10HP.
So if you SC an NA engine you get 215-225HP

If you want to totally swap to NA you'll need the Computer. Don't think you can flash these. OR they're not easily and readily flashable

·
Super Moderator
3,333 Posts
Just to make a correction on the earlier post, the VG33ER has "lower" compression than the NA motor, not higher. The lower compression pistons facilitate more air to be forced into the cylinder by the supercharger. You can install a long block VG33E engine and use the intake, supercharger, injectors from the VG33ER; as mentioned, the compression will be slightly higher, but it will run fine. You may need to go one step colder (heat range "7" on NGK plugs). If you want to add more power, you can go to a smaller supercharger pulley, like a 2.4", which will give you more boost, resulting in more hp and torque. Blocks are cast iron on both the NA and supercharged engine. If you haven't tried it already, try Car-part.com when looking for a used, VG33ER engine. Ebay might also be an option, as well.

Reactions: TxDayTrader

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to make a correction on the earlier post, the VG33ER has "lower" compression than the NA motor, not higher. The lower compression pistons facilitate more air to be forced into the cylinder by the supercharger. You can install a long block VG33E engine and use the intake, supercharger, injectors from the VG33ER; as mentioned, the compression will be slightly higher, but it will run fine. You may need to go one step colder (heat range "7" on NGK plugs). If you want to add more power, you can go to a smaller supercharger pulley, like a 2.4", which will give you more boost, resulting in more hp and torque. Blocks are cast iron on both the NA and supercharged engine. If you haven't tried it already, try Car-part.com when looking for a used, VG33ER engine. Ebay might also be an option, as well.
Thank you for the information!! I may just go this route

1 - 8 of 8 Posts