Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a 2001 not a 2002. Ok out of the blue I was driving and taking off from a stop light, my truck wouldn't shift from 1st to 2nd. I could fluctuate the pedal a little and it shifted. I had to repeat this from 2nd to 3rd and I drove it almost 100 miles home.

I used to have the standard hard 1st to 2nd shift and normal behavior from there. This is just out of the blue. I had it aligned about 2 weeks ago but that's the only work lately. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help. Help!

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Check tranny fluid level? Worth replacing IFF it's due...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a drain and fill about four quarts. Didn't have a lot of debris on the magnet. Smelled kinda burned but deep cherry red. I refilled and drove it a couple miles and it pretty much does the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
Download a factory service manual and perform the self-diagnostic test for the automatic transmission.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been looking around for the manual with no luck. Is there a particular source for these? I found a procedure about using the OD button and moving the shifter in one of the threads but it didn't work on mine or another guy with the 4cyl.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
Try Nico Club's site. They have free, downloadable factory service manuals.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I found an on board diagnostic procedure in the AT manual at page 188. I started this but can not get passed the first step of warming engine, turn off, wait 5 seconds, then turn to on (do not start). Does the O/D Off light come on for 2 seconds? NO mine does not. At this point it shows go to 349. there is a test to Check voltage between TCM harness connectors (M77, M78) terminals (10, 19, 28) and ground. I wonder where is this TCM harness connector located/ Just for general information. I have an interlock installed and had I aligned recently I am wondering if they bypassed it and maybe that is in that TCM harness, thoughts on that and where is that TCM connector?

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
TCM is under the driver's side of the dash, to the left of the steering column. If I remember correctly, it has two harness connectors and is up high under the dash.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could not locate the TCM about or behind the fuse box. I don't see it. I did note that my truck is a 2001 model. so.... I download the correct PDF and it has a totally different setup from what I see. So does this one not have a TCM?

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
It might not. I looked up a 2001 Frontier TCM at NissanPartsDeal.com and while it shows one for the V6, it doesn't show one for the 2.4L.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have the manual for the service diagnostic but I don't see a TCM. I took it a Nissan dealer McGavok Nissan and they kept it 4 days. When I called I told them what it has, high shift points from 1 to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Its all the way across town. 13 miles. I can fluctuate the pedal and it will shift got in 3rd good to go. stop and got smokes and headed last 2 miles home, actually shifted without my influence but the points didn't seem right. The quick on at 1st to 2nd was at the right speed as usual but not near as HARD as it was before I took that trip.

I wonder if I should drain and refill all the fluid? Does it have a filter? like a replaceable screen or just remove and inspect the screen? How much fluid do I need to drain and refill it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any help on this is appreciated. I want to drain and fill but need some help. This is a 2001 4cl with AT. Does it have a replacable filter? How do I drain the whole tranny and what is the capacity? THanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Need help with this

SO, I found in another location that the filter is just a metal pan with the screen. I got one at O'riellys and it does not fit. I just rinsed out the old one. I also see in another forum that it is recommended only use NIssan D or full synthetic. I will be swapping more fluid today but I really would like some input from the community. LIke, where is the VSS sensor on this tranny? anyone with any input on this problem?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just dropped the pan and did another 4 quart swap. Only got 3.5 out of the pan. worried about refilling, this dipstick is an odd looking one. I think it shows full hot even cold. I swapped the water pump while I was at it. No leaks on either fingers crossed. It does not shift properly when first started, after it warmed up. seemed to be totally normal so I think there is hope but if any one has any ideas I would love to hear them. Maybe I am still a little low and cant get an accurate read on the stick? Maybe after warming up something else works right? Help me out if you have any ideas, I am open to try anything at this point.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
I usually use Valvoline Maxlife full-synthetic ATF in my Nissan auto trannys. It's fully compatible with NissanMatic "D," "J" and "S." In my experience, what an auto trans is not shifting right cold but does after it's warmed-up, often it is due to the seals inside the trans. As they age, they can harden and are not as pliable as they were when new, which causes them to not seal as well as they should. As the fluid gets hot, it warms the seals and makes them more pliable, so sealing as well as shifting improves. Some use a quart of TransX with their transmission fluid to help condition the seals.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I ended up getting a drain and refill did it twice. first time was cheap oriellys brand, then digging in the forums I found someone recommend full Castrol full synthetic multi import. I got a filter (SCARY - orielly filter did not fit, bolted up but didn't seat up in the way the OEM one did, I couldn't bolt up the pan the filter was too thick) I did the rinse of the filter. There was some fine metal on the magnet. Got it all back together. Drive it across town and back to work a couple days,drain 4 more put back more synthetic.

Still does exactly the same, runs perfect after about 3 blocks. If the seals you think are bad is there any chance it something else or rebuilt what the valve body?? Do I need the WHOLE THING rebuilt? I could do swap, I think, if I found another good tranny.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
The problem with used transmissions is that often the ones you find are as old as the one that came in your truck, so it's always a gamble to go that route. If the seals are getting hard, you can try using a conditioner called "Trans X," which you can get at most auto part stores. It's no guarantee, but sometimes it works out; the only way to really fix hardened seals it to overhaul the transmission.
I can't tell you that seals are definitely your problem because the only way to find the cause is to go through the proper diagnostics, meaning line pressure and stall tests, which are described in the FSM and require a transmission oil pressure test gauge to do so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well I kept driving it just letting it warm up. About 300 miles later its in the garage and revers actually clanked. NEver did that before. Had to shift to neutral. NO NEUTRAL! doesn't roll back revving it seems like its in forward and revers at the same time its weird. I didn't push it. I checked the linkage manually moved the selector on the tranny, its in neutral but wont roll. seems to stall motor something is using the torgue but no go. SCARY!!. I dropped the drive shaft and pushed it into the street. I hooked up the drive shaft again and drove it around the block. it was like stuck in like second. I left enough room to get it back out. Guess IM pulling it!!! ARG!!!:crying:. I guess its scrap. I hoped someone would have some idea. I cant see 3 grand for a rebuilt tranny. whats the best options available.? I'm in Kansas so I was looking for low mileage salvage tranny central US ,. or who is good at rebuilding it?

OK I also don't know what model that tranny is it RE4R01A? can I get it from other vehicles like infiniti pathfinder etc? Please help me out with that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did you ever get your tranny issue sorted out? I had a torque converter issue recently and couldn't find a recon TC to fit. It is a RL by the way if it is a 4cyl or a RE if a 6.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts