Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the search already , didn't come up with any answers....I got a used 2001 Frontier CC V6 with 43k on it....

It feels under powered.....is it me...I hit the gas and it just does not have the get up and go like other V6s I have driven....My wifes' Toy 4 banger is better and perkier.....So the question is....is that normal?

Can it be re-geared and if so in the trans or in the axle and what gears size did you use?

I don't want to race , but I don't like being the last one standing at red lights...

I got to tell you though...I F$%^ING love the truck and I intend on keeping it forever even if I move overseas and have to spend 5g to ship it...I don't care...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
It's got torque off from a stop. But you will never spin a tire (unless wet). On the highway you will have to punch it to get it to go.

I have the LB and it's dog slow on the highway. However, I have made some improvements. One being a CAI and a E-FAN. Next I want to do the CAT-BACK.

You are correct you have a fun truck.

Some things you will need to fix.

1. Cracked headers (2003 - 2004) it was fixed when nissan redesigned them and gave the truck 1mpg and 10HP more.
2. Knock Sensor. I would not be surprised if you went to Auto Zone and had the codes pulled that your KS would be bad. All KS fail on the v6 around your mileage. I personally think the truck runs better with a good KS.
3. Thermal Amplifier. Behind the glove box. When you AC feels like it's not cooling good enough it's probably this Amplifier. Cost about 30$. Your Frontier should freeze you out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's got torque off from a stop. But you will never spin a tire (unless wet). On the highway you will have to punch it to get it to go.

I have the LB and it's dog slow on the highway. However, I have made some improvements. One being a CAI and a E-FAN. Next I want to do the CAT-BACK.

You are correct you have a fun truck.

Some things you will need to fix.

1. Cracked headers (2003 - 2004) it was fixed when nissan redesigned them and gave the truck 1mpg and 10HP more.
2. Knock Sensor. I would not be surprised if you went to Auto Zone and had the codes pulled that your KS would be bad. All KS fail on the v6 around your mileage. I personally think the truck runs better with a good KS.
3. Thermal Amplifier. Behind the glove box. When you AC feels like it's not cooling good enough it's probably this Amplifier. Cost about 30$. Your Frontier should freeze you out.

Good luck.
Didnt know about the A/C thing...I literally just an hour ago went and had the A/C fixed , vacuumed and recharged for 101 bucks...it went warm 2 days ago.....I will do the KS as well...Im a do it yourselfer....so I will run to the zone and check it out.......Thanks

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
do the knock sensor relocation.. way to much work to get into it just to replace it 40k later

IIRC, youll need to remove the intake manifold and all the crap attached to it to get to it

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do the knock sensor relocation.. way to much work to get into it just to replace it 40k later

IIRC, youll need to remove the intake manifold and all the crap attached to it to get to it

Thats funny...as your typed this , I was downloading the instructions and pics from the sticky to do just that mod.....Thanks...this forum rocks.....keeps a unemployed man rich in a sense.....

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Didnt know about the A/C thing...I literally just an hour ago went and had the A/C fixed , vacuumed and recharged for 101 bucks...it went warm 2 days ago.....I will do the KS as well...Im a do it yourselfer....so I will run to the zone and check it out.......Thanks
Does your AC feel any better? These Thermo Amplifiers fail a lot. If you do not think it's cold enough then it's probably the amplifier.

I do not hear a lot of AC failures on the the Frontier. Yeah there are one off issues but for the most part the AC just works. I ran mine today and it's froze me. So I know it's working real good.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I used the search already , didn't come up with any answers....I got a used 2001 Frontier CC V6 with 43k on it....

It feels under powered.....is it me...I hit the gas and it just does not have the get up and go like other V6s I have driven....My wifes' Toy 4 banger is better and perkier.....So the question is....is that normal?

Can it be re-geared and if so in the trans or in the axle and what gears size did you use?

I don't want to race , but I don't like being the last one standing at red lights...

I got to tell you though...I F$%^ING love the truck and I intend on keeping it forever even if I move overseas and have to spend 5g to ship it...I don't care...
With only 43k it should last you a long time ,but yes the 1st gen Frontiers are slow.
Its not a alot of power ,but the trucks are relatively heavy as well.
My dad is less than 2k from the 200k mark on his 01 supercharged crew and it still runs great.

·
Registered
170 Posts
thats amazing to hear about the mileage, i have a 01 cc with 124xxx, runs like new, never had one prob with it...gonna do a e-fan set up and some other little goodies to keep me happy for a little while haha

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does your AC feel any better? These Thermo Amplifiers fail a lot. If you do not think it's cold enough then it's probably the amplifier.

I do not hear a lot of AC failures on the the Frontier. Yeah there are one off issues but for the most part the AC just works. I ran mine today and it's froze me. So I know it's working real good.
After the vacuum and recharge A/C feels great , wife says its too cold...
shop seemed honest , guy said he searched for leaks and found none and wanted to know if A/C had ever been recharged and I said it had not...."guy I got it from kept records"......so on day 3 or 4 it feels great...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts