Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy guys! This is my second post ever so I apologize if this is in the wrong section. So here we go...sorry if this is sort of long...i'll break it up to make a little easier on the eyes.

I have a 2001 NF V6 2WD that I recently paid a company to put a tow kit with 4Pin installed on. I put a new harness on the trailer myself and when I hooked it all up I discovered that the turn signals were not working:crying: I've got running and brake lights and my trucks lights are all working.

I checked all the wiring and ran electrical testing and my trailer wiring is all hunky dunky. while messing around with the ground wire and testing left blinker I noticed a small spark/arc when i reconnect the ground wire and left blinker would come on. so while left was working i tried moving to the right blinker and it would not work and when swiching back to left it also was not working. same with hazards...if i disconnect ground wire on trailer and reconnect they will come on but as soon as you toggle on/off or between blinker and hazards they would quit. but running and brakes still function normally.

so i start to suspect that maybe there is a problem with the harness on my truck so I returned to the trailer outfitter so they can take a look. they test it with a light rig they have and show me that all of my light functions are working properly.:surprise: ummm....ok they say it's most likely my trailer ground. I know that...I checked it...like a bunch. I didn't say that I just thought it. anyhoo

so i take my truck to my friends trailer and test it with his. same thing no turn or hazards...just running and brake lights. he assures me that his wiring is working properly. so we take his truck and hook up on my trailer and everything works fine...:surprise: hooked it up on my dads truck...it all works.

so now i hook my truck back up...get my tester, alligator clips and long leads of wire. i check for ground from truck ground point to trailer ground point and its good. i grind the paint off the inside of the coupler and sand the ball. i hooked up a jumper from trailer to truck for extra ground. i ran a wire from negative battery lead to trailer. I checked all of my fuses. i used a angle grinder to make sure my ground wires and light lugs had bare metal to ground to. i tested the 4pin connector for voltage at the truck side and its there for each wire...yellow left turn, green right turn, brown running, white ground of coarse. i checked to make sure i have good connection inside of the light and that the wires don't have room to arc to each other.

I can't figure it out and it's driving me bat guano crazy.com

I already lost a cool metal job because of freaking blinkers...I really don't want to get pulled over.

Good people of Club Frontier.Org I beg of you...please save me from this nightmare!!!

If I was vague or confusing on some parts I apologize...I'd be glad to elaborate more if you need:nerd: lol

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
337 Posts
First of all I hate electrical. It sure sound like the harness you had installed, is wrong. Not saying it is the problem, but if their "tester" is wrong, it would test well and still might not work, with a stock system. My point is, you only have them, telling you there is nothing wrong with the harness, but it seems to be the common denominator, with your testing. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bad Ground?

Wondering if the trailer wiring is grounded (White wire) to the bed or the frame? I just added the 4 wire kit to my 04 and found the bed is a HORRIBLE ground and the blinkers don't work. When I ran the ground to frame everything worked great. Worth trying.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Did they install a tail light converter? The harness I bought for my 1998/2004 Frontier included that (Autozone, in stock), because truck has separate brake light and turn signal where 4-pin trailer utilizes same filament for both.

That harness plugged right in to my Frontier's wiring harness, and works fine.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I used Hopkins #43515, complete kit was $37, it fits both my 1998 and 2004 Frontiers too. Picked up mine at Autozone.

NISSAN Vehicle Specific Kit

It's possible that the #43515 has been upgraded to a different part number, call Hopkins or ETrailer, they'd know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ohhhhh....I think I get it now...they didn't install Nissan specific harness. That has to be it. I noticed on my invoice from the trailer installers that the harness is labeled "T-connector Mercury Villager" they must have thought it would be compatible...but then why did it work on their tester? their tester is basically a steel cross on wheels with all of the lights a trailer would have mounted to it. weird. I hope they are not shady...they have lots of good reviews online that's why I went to them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the part at the local Autozone for 18 bucks...installed and it all works now. THANK YOU so much Cusser for the valuable information. I have been chasing this problem around for three weeks now and it has caused me so much grief. I guess that's what I get for going to the "pros" for my installation instead of ordering and installing myself huh? I wonder if they will refund the Mercury wiring harness?...BUT! I'm so glad this thing is solved! Thanks again Cusser!!!! I cannot express how much this means to me. This forum is tha BOMB!!

100 YEARS CLUB FRONTIER.ORG!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I got the part at the local Autozone for 18 bucks...installed and it all works now. THANK YOU so much Cusser for the valuable information. I have been chasing this problem around for three weeks now and it has caused me so much grief. I guess that's what I get for going to the "pros" for my installation instead of ordering and installing myself huh? I wonder if they will refund the Mercury wiring harness?...BUT! I'm so glad this thing is solved! Thanks again Cusser!!!! I cannot express how much this means to me. This forum is tha BOMB!!

100 YEARS CLUB FRONTIER.ORG!!!
Cusser has pulled my *** out of the fire on more than one occasion, that's what this forum is all about, helping people keep these 1st gens on the road. First generation frontiers have gone up in value, since compared to 2015! On a side note, I bet a beer with Cusser, is time well spent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts