Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2001 SC King Cab....rear speaker/subwoofer...

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Builder99 
#1 ·
I assume the black box on the rear wall, below the window is a subwoofer.. it sounds like it is broken, with bad vibrations, when songs have higher base...I’m wondering, if anyone knows, if the black, plastic grill “pops off”, or the carpeted cover has to be removed, to access screws, that may secure it to the rear metal panel..thanks for responding..just looking for some good vibrations...

#4 ·
If it's the original speaker then the outer surround (foam/paper) has probably turned to dust.

The grill cover should either pop off or screws to remove it and then you'll remove the speaker.. which from what I've read is a simple 6.5" woofer. Note that you will want a "woofer" not a normal speaker for replacement. A normal speaker would also play higher notes and won't sound correct and words would sound muffled coming from it.

If you do take it out, keep note of what terminal goes to what side of the speaker. Your replacement speaker will have a positive and negative connection. if the one you take out doesn't show which is which you can take a couple of wires and a 9v battery and find out.

To do this... (old car audio installer trick) connect the wires to each terminal on the old speaker and then touch them to the battery quickly. If the speaker pops "outward" then you have the positive to positive wire hooked up. If it draws "inward" then you have the polarity reversed.

#5 ·
If it's the original speaker then the outer surround (foam/paper) has probably turned to dust.
I still got the 17y/o original sub in my truck. I still sound descent. Not amazing but better than when I turn it down. Big heat is not that commun here we may have 1 or 2 weeks in the 100f (40c) per year. Otherwise it is more like 77f (25c). We got winter at -15f (-25c) for about 4 months. That may be why the subwoofer is not dry yet.

#9 ·
Thank you all for responding and offering advice... turns out the “carpeting” on the rear wall has to be taken up to access the mounting screws , to remove it. Surprisingly, I was able to find a “new” one on eBay...will follow up and let you know how it goes !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.