Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I just noticed that with my 4wd disengaged, the 4wd light on the dash stays faintly lit, this also occurs when the parking and headlights are off. I tried engaging 4H and 4L multiple times, but have had no success in shutting it off. Mechanically, there seems to be nothing wrong with the 4wd, but the faintly illuminated 4wd light started today, and I don't know why. Any input, or similar stories?

· Registered
475 Posts
well as long as you are sure that 4wd is completely disengaged and the light actually dims then id say it the switch for that particular light. i dont know where it is but that seems like it would be a solid bet that its worn out if you use 4wd frequently

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is, I don't frequently use it, that's why I'm a little confused, as well as, if there was a problem with it, why would it even light up? When the 4wd is engaged, the light comes on bright, when disengaged, it is faintly lit, I'm perplexed.

· Registered
556 Posts
One of two things has happened. Either the switch has started to fail (cheap and easy to replace) or the plug/harness has been compromised with water/salt (more likely).

The 4wd switch is the rear switch on the transfer case, close to the speed sensor. I would try unplugging it, cleaning the plugs and plugging it back in.

· Premium Member
1,976 Posts
One of two things has happened. Either the switch has started to fail (cheap and easy to replace) or the plug/harness has been compromised with water/salt (more likely).

The 4wd switch is the rear switch on the transfer case, close to the speed sensor. I would try unplugging it, cleaning the plugs and plugging it back in.
x2

· Registered
556 Posts
Oops, forgot one more. There are a couple metal clamps on the transfer case and transmission that secure the harness. Some people have reported that over time the wire jackets can get chaffed and will short the wires. Check the harness around the clamps too.

· Registered
214 Posts
also

after putting back into 2wd try reversing 3-4ft and see if it goes off. i believe the manual states this as normal procedure when shifting from 4wd to 2wd. this ensures ervything is disengaged.

my other thought is that your instrument panel is warped alittle bit and your getting "bleed thru" lite from another location so it "appears" that your 4wd lite is lit faintly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.