Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier SE 2wd v6 Non-supercharged. Last weekend my dad was driving it towing our boat to the lake. While on the highway he says it made a "pow" sound. He pulled over. Cranked it and it started. He went To go take off and about 50 feet he says it started to spit and sputter and then cut off.

The timing belt is fine (according to our friend mechanic). The distributor rotor is turning and we have sparks.
We changed the fuel pump and also the fuel sending unit as a piece of it broke as we took the fuel tank down 3 days ago. We then put gas in it and it still wouldn't start.

About 2 months ago we had a code for the crankshaft position sensor. So the mechanic we know said to change that. 2 days ago as my dad was putting the screw back in, the screw broke and about 1/8 of an inch of the threads are sticking out. Despite the screw being broke we tried to fire it up and with no avail. It still cranks but will not start.
Every now and then when we will try to crank it, when we let off the ignition we'll get a "pfff" (you know kinda as in a cylinder maybe firing. I can't think of a way to type it lol)

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
If mine, I'd start investigating the coil/distributor make sure that it's sparking, and sparking at the correct ignition time.

·
Super Moderator
11,254 Posts
The distributor may move but doesn't mean it didn't jump any teeth. The belt may still be in play in this. How many miles on it?

Clint

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
about 240k miles.

How would I check to see if it's sparking at the correct time?

I read another thread yesterday and near the end of it, they were talking about the timing belt and the thread maker posted pics of the timing belt and one man said it didn't look right.
Should I try to get pics and post them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any help is very appreciated :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed

The problem was fixed back a little after I made this thread. The guy we bought it from was the friend mechanic mentioned above and so we had it towed to his house so he can do a thorough look of he truck. After searching for a while he found a wire that was exposed and grounding out to the frame. Can't remember what the wire was, but he had the whole front grill and everything removed. My grandfather passed away May of 2017 and he wanted me to have his truck so when I started driving in October 2017 that is what I've been driving since. We sold the frontier early 2018.

I appreciate all the help and I'll let ya'll know if I remember what that wire went to ::laugh::.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts