Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings -

I've been thinking about adding two regular speakers (not subs, etc) in the inside back wall of my king cab (just bought from the orig owner).

I've not yet ventured behind the carpeting to see what space or mounting surfaces might be in place already. Can anyone guide me as to what I might find back there, or post some notes as to how they did something similar?

I do have a black speaker box looking thing in the middle of the wall, but it makes no sound (messing with the fade has the same effect as volume).

One option might be to ditch the jump seats and put some kind of cabinet in their spaces, but I'd prefer something less invasive.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I saw this in the gallery a couple of months ago. A guy had put speakers just below the window in the coat hanger looking things. Quite cool looking

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - it makes sense to mount them up there, thus clearing the jumpseats as they fold out and retract.

I surfed for the pics to no avail.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I'm sorry I do not know where the pic's of it are at. But I know the concept; removing the plastic and he had leather running across where the plastic use to be. The speakers were on either side of the center glass. The wires were probably ran down the ends of the cab and so on. Hope that helps some

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

While looking at other used trucks, I came across one (pre-Frontier, I think) that had speakers mounted in the rear bulkhead itself. It was no a model installation the jumpseats scraped them when pulled open.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Thanks.

While looking at other used trucks, I came across one (pre-Frontier, I think) that had speakers mounted in the rear bulkhead itself. It was no a model installation the jumpseats scraped them when pulled open.
correct. the frontier's predecessor, the hardbody, came with rear wall mounted 6.5s. the factory speakers cleared the jumpseats, but very few aftermarket speakers would fit and clear without the grill touching the seat.

the hardbody and the frontier are very similar. you could probably snag a set of the brackets from a junkyard and adapt them to fit quite easily. the mounting holes might even be there if nissan is as cheap as i think they are.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
How much work would be involved with putting extra speakers back there? I have a regular cab and plan on getting a sub this summer but right now I have an extra set of speakers that I could throw in there. If I just built some boxes to mount them in would they work? I am slowly learning more and more about car stereo stuff so please bear with me.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why not? Will it not sound any better or what? I know you know your stuff I am just curious.
your not going to gain that much if anything at all from adding speakers in a RC. if you mount them up high your going to have to fade almost all the way to the front to make it sound right(get the sound stage to be correct). if you mount them low, there just going to be muffled because of the seat. a good set of comps with a matching amp with a small sub is all you need. you dont need 100w comps either for the RC. 40-50w with a 200-250w sub would be fine.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I actually switched my bench seat to two buckets so I was thinking to put them in between the seats and against the back wall, so they wouldn't be muffled. The way Nissan has their speaker location just gets on my nerves. If there is a passenger, their legs block that speaker and also if there is anything in the floorboard it does the same. I hate having just two speakers.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
in the middle of the cab would be even worse then putting them behind your head in the corners. you never would get the sound stage set correctly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts