Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 2001 Frontier extended cab SC. I'd like to install running boards/nerf bars/whatever you want to call them. A little research indicated that there are mounting bolts on some Frontiers already on the frame for attaching them However, I didn't see them in a cursory look on mine. Does anyone know if they should be there and I somehow missed them? Or perhaps I can't or shouldn't add running boards?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently got a 2001 Frontier extended cab SC. I'd like to install running boards/nerf bars/whatever you want to call them. A little research indicated that there are mounting bolts on some Frontiers already on the frame for attaching them However, I didn't see them in a cursory look on mine. Does anyone know if they should be there and I somehow missed them? Or perhaps I can't or shouldn't add running boards?

Thanks.
Not sure on the older models on my 17 the mounting bolts were not on the frame. They were right below the door on the inside...basically were the jack points are look under there.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I don't ever recall seeing mounting bolts installed on the frame of a 1st gen Frontier from the factory. Usually, all of the hardware, including the bolts, nuts and washers, came with the running boards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. There aren't any mounts under the doors. There are three sets of threaded holes on the frame which may be the intended spot for them. It looks like it might be hard to get a nut behind there holes and since they appear to be threaded, I assume one would just screw the bolt into them but that seems to me like it might be prone to come loose. Any thoughts on that? Obviously, my knowledge of truck maintenance is limited, to say the least. No one ever mistook me for a mechanic.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
If the holes are threaded, that's a good thing. I remember back when I worked for Nissan years ago that sometimes the dealer kit had a wire with a loop at the end that you would attach to the nut so you could fish it through the frame to the appropriate hole. What a pain!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the responses. I got side-tracked a bit on this topic, so I hadn't replied. But I'm thinking about it again. Does anyone have experience installing nerf bars in this generation Frontier? Or where you had to drill holes for it? I've looked online a lot but no matter what search terms I seem to use, I can't come up with any specific information. Just lots of places to buy the bars or running boards, most of which are not designed for a 2001.

I have a line on a pair of used ones which are both a great price and a look I like better than anything I can new but I'm hesitant to buy them without a real idea how difficult the install will be.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is that how it works if I have to drill holes?

If the holes are threaded, that's a good thing. I remember back when I worked for Nissan years ago that sometimes the dealer kit had a wire with a loop at the end that you would attach to the nut so you could fish it through the frame to the appropriate hole. What a pain!
I picked up the running bars I found used but haven't figured out how to attach them properly. The brackets line up underneath the rocker panel but there are no holes or bolts already there. I suppose I would have to drill them but can't see anyway to get the nut lined up on the other side for the bolt. I don't even think there's a way to get the bolt behind it even if I had a wire to fish it around with.

Obviously, I have no idea what I'm really doing here but the nerf bars cost me almost nothing so failure is not a big deal. I'm just a little surprised that I have had so little luck finding out details on how to install them online. Normally a google search will come up with something useful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts