Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I am kind of new here in posting but have found a ton of tips reading the forums. I have a problem with my 2001 nissan frontier 4 cylinder 2.4L. My check engine light came on so I had it tested and the guy at pep boys told me to check my coolant or it could be the heat sensor that went bad (I don't know the code sorry). I added some coolant mix and every thing has been going fine, until I noticed a coolant on the ground under the car. I checked and the levels have not gone down that much. There are no leaks around hoses or radiator. I got under may care and removed the skid plate. There is coolant leaking from the bottom of my engine. It appeares to be comming from a the bottom out of a gasket that is is screwed in. It is retangular in shape. I do not know what this is so I hope the description is good. My truck is running fine at normal temps even with the light on and there is no white smoke or anything like that. Any help on how to fix this would be great.

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
Something tells me there is no water jacket at the bottom of the engine. My guess is the coolant is percolating down from something above and dripping at the bottom. If you have a leak you may be able to find the source by an area stained with dry coolant.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you could post a picture that would help us help you figure this out...

Heath

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
it is possably your thermostat gooseneck leaking or your waterpump, both are really easy to fix with basic hand tools

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. It was the waterpump leaking. Had to shine a light to see where it was comming from. Fixed this weekend and no more coolant puddles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Funny, I just the same problem on our '01 2.4L and was going to tell you to check the water pump. Good luck on the change, it's pretty easy to do. some belts and the shroud and 9 bolts, I think. (I also did our timing belt)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts