Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I'm replacing the exhaust manifold and have run into a lack of information.
Referencing the manual and its section on installing the manifold it only lists the torque specs for the manifold to head nuts.

Turning to the catalytic converter section it says to take the vehicle to a mechanic, so I need the torque specs for the Cat. to the manifold nuts.

My second issue is the crush seal that goes between the manifold and the Cat.
Upon disassembly I found there was no crush seal so I don't know which side of the seal goes up or down..or even if this application requires a crush seal.. (Attached is a picture of this seal)

Can anyone help?

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fishguy, I have that factory manual and couldn't find the 2.4 Cat.
That Cat. is not featured in the page you pasted, or anywhere else in the manual I could find.

I had to dig thru my old tax receipts this afternoon to find the Cat. invoice, called the manufacturer and found out only the steel mesh ring goes in there.
Torque should be around 25-32ft.lbs according to the tech rep, which sounds about right.

Was going to update my question but you got here before me, and for that I thank you!

·
Registered
56 Posts
No worries. If you look at the top of the page I referenced it does say KA24DE Models. That is the 4 cylinder 2.4L model. The following page (FE-10) is for the VG33E Models, which are the 6 cylinder 3.3L models. Prior to 2001 they kept the manuals for the 4 cyl and 6 cyl seperate and it made things a little easier. That said, I would go with the ring manufacturers torque spec on the crush ring since it overlaps with the specs listed in the manual and it may not be made from the same material as the original factory gasket. The ring manufacturer knows the specs for their parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys
I'm replacing the exhaust manifold and have run into a lack of information.
Referencing the manual and its section on installing the manifold it only lists the torque specs for the manifold to head nuts.

Turning to the catalytic converter section it says to take the vehicle to a mechanic, so I need the torque specs for the Cat. to the manifold nuts.

My second issue is the crush seal that goes between the manifold and the Cat.
Upon disassembly I found there was no crush seal so I don't know which side of the seal goes up or down..or even if this application requires a crush seal.. (Attached is a picture of this seal)

Can anyone help?

Hello can you tell me where you purchased the crush gasket for your converter to manifold for I went to local part stores and all they have is a small crush gasket that's two small I seen your post with gasket and that is the one I am needing but not able to locate anywhere?

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello can you tell me where you purchased the crush gasket for your converter to manifold for I went to local part stores and all they have is a small crush gasket that's two small I seen your post with gasket and that is the one I am needing but not able to locate anywhere?
That gasket came with the converter. Only thing I can think of is to contact a converter manufacturer, I had to do that on another vehicle but it was quite a search finding the actual manufacturer - all I could find were the distributors and most of them were no darn help.. I don't think Nissan carries the gasket but you'll have to try them first.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Rockauto lists a bunch of gaskets with pics, maybe that'll help you match up what you need. There are a couple of brands of crush gaskets listed, too.

HTH...........ed

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
You can usually re-use the old crush gasket if you don't mangle the retainer too bad. The gasket goes onto the top of the converter and then the retainer goes on top of the gasket so that the gasket will fit inside the recess of the retainer. The retainer should push down into the groove at the top of the converter.

Reactions: 808tier
1 - 9 of 9 Posts