Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 XE, automatic, 125k miles. The shift handle (column shifter) is up behind the steering wheel on my model. As I pulled into a parking lot, my shift handle "failed." I came to a stop and shifted into "Park" and was surprised to find that with my foot off the brake my truck moved forward. I "shifted" back into Drive and then into Park again. That's when I realized that there wasn't any resistance on the shift handle, it was simply free sliding, and is stuck in drive, regardless as to the handle position. I set the E brake and shut off the motor. Then I attempted to start the engine again, but of course the truck won't start in drive. So, until I tow it or can somehow get it out of drive, start the engine, and get it back in drive, it's stuck in the parking lot.

Has anyone seen this? Any ideas? There's some information in a few other threads but that seems to apply to the more typical shift knobs on the center floor vs what I have, behind the steering wheel. I'm assuming a shift linkage issue but hoping there might be an easier fix closer to the steering wheel / column shift handle.

Any help very greatly appreciated! Thanks. :frown:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts