Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I have a 2001 Frontier with the 3.3L SC Engine. I recently completed the knock sensor replacement; everything went smoothly coming off and going back on, but when I was finished and everything was back together it would not start (running fine before I started). The first time I tried to turn it over it started to go then quickly died as if there was no fuel, sounded rough like when the truck died when I pulled the fuel pump fuse. After that it just turns over with no combustion what so ever, get a bit of a jolt at the start but I think that's just the starter Bendix engaging with the transmission. There is a ticking sound that occasionally comes from my transmission when my key is in the on position sometimes, but I heard it once before I did this replacement so I believe it is unrelated. I'm at a loss and not sure what to do at this point, after my troubleshooting I still feel like it is an fuel issue but I have not worked with fuel injection before so I'm not sure how to go about testing them without the truck running. I'm hoping one of you folks might have an idea or something to point me in the right direction, otherwise I'm probably going to have to pay someone to figure it out.

Below is a detailed list of what I did during the replacement and what I have done to troubleshoot the issue.

Replacement process from the start to finish:
  1. Pulled the fuel pump fuse, waited for truck to die and cranked it over 2 more times to drain the fuel lines.
  2. Drained coolent
  3. Proceeded with the disassembly, air intake -> SC -> collector -> injectors ->intake -> knock sensor (Did not take injectors out of fuel rail)
  4. Replaced the driver side valve cover gasket while I had everything apart.
  5. Replaced the spark plugs and spark plug leads while access was easy.
  6. Cleaned Parts and reassembled in reverse order of 3.
  7. Filled rad
  8. Put in fuel pump fuse, turned ignition to on so fuel pump would prime (heard it), and tried to start it

Troubleshooting Process:
  1. Tried turning the engine over for awhile hoping the fuel lines had to prime more. Tried with throttle open and closed
  2. Pulled spark plug from cylinder 5 to check for spark -> had a good spark so I moved on. Put a little bit of fuel directly in the cylinder before putting spark plug back on in the hopes that it would in a sense jump start the engine. Turned the engine over and nothing happened, not sure what that means.
  3. When keys are in the on position I can hear the fuel pump so I checked fuel at the engine by pulled apart the two fuel lines and found that some fuel came out, but not a lot. I put lines back together and left keys in on position so the fuel pump was on and found the threaded fuel line leaking indicating the presence of fuel.
  4. At this point my battery was low from testings so I left the charger on for the night. Came back the next morning to try putting a gas soaked rag in the intake to see if there was fuel getting into the cylinder but when I turned it over it still sounded dead, check the battery and it was ~13V. Tried jump starting and it had no effect so I figured I burnt out my starter testing.
  5. Removed my starter, found the signal wired barely connected. Took apart the starter and solenoid, cleaned them and reassembled. Tested the starter and solenoid and they worked fine. Reinstalled starter and the truck turns over just fine now. Not entirely sure what the issue was there but its resolved.
  6. Tried turning over truck with fuel soaked rag just before the throttle body, but nothing happened, also tried some starting fluid, also did not work. Not sure if either method even works this far back from the cylinders.
  7. Followed the vacuum lines to ensure they were all connected -> they are; and I cannot see any disconnected electrical connections. Been through all the pictures I took and can't find a plug or hose that I missed.
  8. Checked fuses related to ignition, injectors, fuel pump, have not found one blown (have not checked every single fuse though).

·
Registered
2017 Pro-4X w/Luxury Package
953 Posts
Plug wires replaced in the correct order?

Most people use the NGK, which have number tags. If you used another brand, maybe the wires are either unnumbered or numbered incorrectly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like it would fit the symptoms but I'm pretty sure I put them in the correct order. I followed this diagram from my manual and the cap of the distributor is labeled:

And the orientation of my leads from my distributor match before and after. I used NGK plugs and leads but I think they messed up the numbering on them because they all say 6 on the lead so I ignored that and followed my manual and distributor cap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
did you ever get it started? I'm in much the same predicament. I also changed the distributor so I'm not sure about timing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did you ever get it started? I'm in much the same predicament. I also changed the distributor so I'm not sure about timing
It's running as of yesterday. The problem was simple and embarrassing, turns out I left some shop towel in the intake and it was blocking air flow.

What are you getting when you turn it over?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's running as of yesterday. The problem was simple and embarrassing, turns out I left some shop towel in the intake and it was blocking air flow.

What are you getting when you turn it over?
mine turns over and occasionally seems like it wants to catch but doesn't...checked plug wire connections. I'm guessing I'm a half cycle off on the ignition timing, it's sparking on the exhaust stroke....will test that tonight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts