Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i Have a 2000 XE 2.4L and I'm getting a Mystery Coolant Leak Center of engine.

It only leaks sometimes, not all the time after a long drive there is puddle under the center of the engine oil pan.

Nothing near the front under of the pump, thermostat, radiator or hoses.

I'm thinking it may be the intake manifold or a coolant hose? I know the intake has small coolant lines in them.

I have attached images of a 2.4L Intake as reference.

Thank you for your time. ::smile::

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar situation this week on my 2000 Frontier 4 cylinder. The leak was near and under the front of the intake manifold. Let me say what helped a lot was ordering a MIGHTY VAC COOLANT PRESSURE TESTER from Amazon for like 36 bucks !!! It turns out there are 4 coolant hoses under the intake manifold. The most common one to leak is a U-shaped hose that Auto Zone calls a "bypass hose". Visibility and access are achieved by unbolting the power steering pump (and laying it back without disconnecting the hoses), the cast iron pump bracket to the head, the battery, and the upper hose. There is another straighter or "dog-leg" hose that is helpful to remove (and replace) at the same time). With those removed, there is JUST enough room to access that U-shaped hose without removing the intake manifold). The Auto Zone part number for the Dayco hose (which they stock) is B88354. The beauty of having the pressure tester is that you can simulate hot driving pressures without heating up the engine AND you can quality check that the leak was fixed BEFORE finishing all the reassembly. You can also borrow pressure testers from Autozone and Oreilly, but the deposit is pretty hefty (of course, you get it back if returned in 48 hours). Hope this helps someone !!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar situation this week on my 2000 Frontier 4 cylinder. The leak was near and under the front of the intake manifold. Let me say what helped a lot was ordering a MIGHTY VAC COOLANT PRESSURE TESTER from Amazon for like 36 bucks !!! It turns out there are 4 coolant hoses under the intake manifold. The most common one to leak is a U-shaped hose that Auto Zone calls a "bypass hose". Visibility and access are achieved by unbolting the power steering pump (and laying it back without disconnecting the hoses), the cast iron pump bracket to the head, the battery, and the upper hose. There is another straighter or "dog-leg" hose that is helpful to remove (and replace) at the same time). With those removed, there is JUST enough room to access that U-shaped hose without removing the intake manifold). The Auto Zone part number for the Dayco hose (which they stock) is B88354. The beauty of having the pressure tester is that you can simulate hot driving pressures without heating up the engine AND you can quality check that the leak was fixed BEFORE finishing all the reassembly. You can also borrow pressure testers from Autozone and Oreilly, but the deposit is pretty hefty (of course, you get it back if returned in 48 hours). Hope this helps someone !!!!
Thank I have the same problem and wondering where it was coming from? Also it only does this during the cold seasons. Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,949 Posts
Thank I have the same problem and wondering where it was coming from? Also it only does this during the cold seasons. Thank you for the info.
These are the bypass hose part #'s along with some other of the hoses I replaced while i was at it on my KA24DE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts