Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my 2000 V6 Nissan jump time is it an interference motor and are the valves damaged how or can I just replace the timing belt

·
Registered
626 Posts
You have an interference engine. It's impossible to say whether the valves are damaged or not without testing, but the odds are not in your favor.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It can depend on when it jumped time. If it happened while you were driving down the road at speed, damage is almost assured. However, if it happened while you were starting or turning it off, there is a better chance you might not have damage.

Reactions: smj999smj

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
VG33E's are a little more forgiving than the VG30i/VG30E engines. Remove the front covers and timing belt, line up the timing marks and install the new belt. Install the guide plate back on the crank, the lower cover (only) and the crank pulley. Now, you can start the engine to see if the engine runs okay or if you detect a misfire due to a bent valve. You don't need to install the upper cover nor antifreeze prior to starting because you won't need to run the engine that long to determine if you lucked out or not. If the engine runs good, shut it off and put it back together...or, disassemble and replace the water pump and front engine seals, if you want to do it now (I would).

Reactions: Gdubz
1 - 4 of 4 Posts