Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Credit definitely needs to be given for the creative title, the double entendre was well placed. All jokes aside, I'm hoping to get some advice on some new noises coming from my engine compartment. Each time I start my vehicle I get a guttural groaning noise while the engine warms up. After a certain point it goes away and the truck runs normally. The noise has been starting to stay longer and become more pronounced so I'm really not sure if this is something serious. The truck has just under 90 k miles and has been running smoothly since I've purchased it in 2010. Last repairs were a fan and compressor belt changes and a new ball bearing for one of the pulleys. Additionally, I recharged the AC a few months ago. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Hopefully I'm not stuck with a major repair...

*update*

So this morning when I fired up my truck I didn't get any groaning noises at all. I am very perplexed...

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Wow, low miles on your rig for sure. Does the groan change pitch with RPM changes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The groaning usually goes away when the rpm goes up and returns for a short period of time when the rpm is at idling levels. I'm really baffled because sometimes when I fire up my truck the groaning isn't there at all. Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Trouble shooting: does anything impact the sound at all?
IFF manual trans: having the clutch pushed in as opposed to being out of gear w/ the clutch out?
AC or Defrost: on/off?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sound usually happens when first fired up and usually gets better when I rev the engine. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all when my truck starts. I don't think pushing the clutch in makes a difference, same with the putting the car in gear as the sound usually goes away after. My AC and defrost are off when the noise happens.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
I'm stumped, though hearing it would/could be useful for anyone more in the know than I. Soundclip? Has anyone else listened to it?

I do recall a brief episode in my '00 XE when there was some kind of unusual sound (groaning?) that I think I was able to isolate to the clutch/tranny. Can't recall if it was at initial startup while not moving, but it was at lower speeds for a few blocks after a cold startup. Then, it just went away for good...never to return. Was thinking it might have been clutch/throw-out bearing related since it was around 140K miles IIRC. But, I sold this truck at 185K and she was going strong as ever.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
My 1998 4-cylinder (purchased at 100K, now has 211K) had a phantom such noise, couldn't figure it out. But when the water pump went out and I went to change that, I found that the fan clutch was bad, and the source of my sound vibration. So check the fan clutch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts