Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I frickin' love my truck, and it has a family history. My uncle drove it, my brother drove it, and now it's mine, 142,000 miles later. If all goes according to plan, I intend on having this truck till the body rusts over, and when that happens, I'll restore it. Lol I have lots of memories in this truck, and I've been pondering real hard whether I want to take the time and effort into building it.

First thing's first---I need to know all about what goes into making this 1st gen a 4x4. Money is no concern. However.....if the amount of money is more than 6,000 I might give the truck back to my uncle and just buy a new Frontier.

I appreciate all the help I can get guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
a 4x4 tranny and tcase should run around $600. check ebay.
if an '00 is anything like the 01-04's, you are just going to need the tcase crossmember as well.
if you are staying ifs, i'm not sure if 98-00 front diffs are the same as the 01-04 diffs. if you are going through the pain in the first place, you might as well go sas.

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'm guessing your truck is paid for? If it is then keep it and just buy a 4X4 for everyday use and SAS the truck you have now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is SAS? And looks like all signs point to an 05-06 Nismo. Lol but I have a question on those---I absolutely need the Crew Cab, but besides that I've noticed 5 speed and six speed manuals. What would be best if I intend on mainly using the truck for mudding and driving it through water, torque wise?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
this 2000 frontier... is it a crew cab?? is it a desert runner?

crewcabs and desert runners came with 4wd suspensions up front and have the bolt holes for the t-case crossmember already in the frame

if you were one of those, all you would need is the 4wd spindle, front diff, transfer case and tranny

its kinda easy if you were one of those... just find a donor truck in as junk yard and swap everything

but like others have said... just put a solid axle underneath it

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
It's a crew cab =) and would it be wise to supercharge it as well? I want torque lol
one thing at a time young grasshopper ;)

you would need to swap out to the supercharged motor and ecu... the NA versions use different pistons with a higher compression ratio and the SC ecu has its own fuel maps n such

id say convert it

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I have to put this out there, a swap like you are talking about isn't exactly easy. It does require some mechanical skill and tools.

If you are comfortable with this and have the knowledge, then the swap shouldn't be too horrible. The supercharger is a bit harder to take on thou. There is a member here that is starting this swap but I am not up to speed on what his total plan is.

I am just hoping that you are not getting your hopes up for something that is not cost effective due to parts or due to labor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have absolutely no knowledge in this field. My brother does, he's a diesel tech and loves to rip apart engines and all kinds of crazy shenanigans. But he's moving far out, about 45 minutes away, and it's quite aways for him to be able to work on my truck little by little. I may just get a newer truck.

And BTW, what is SAS? I'm a total noob.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Okay, since you are really a newb, I would suggest that you just keep this as a possible project truck and buy a new one.

SAS: Solid Axle Swap (this is changing the front a-arm suspension over to a solid axle)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
A SAS is where you cut off your entire IFS and replace it with a solid axle, like in your rear, and you can put coils or shocks.You put new steering and everything up there. There are a few people on here that have done this, Roastbeef being one of them. I don't know a lot about it so if Roastbeef can answer the more technical questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the project truck idea sounds best. I think I'm just gonna get another Frontier. Lol I've much to learn. Time to go to howstuffworks for cars 101.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've done the sas on toyota's but never a Nissan. Probably pretty much the same. It took me and one friend about 8-9 hours to do it, but we had 2 parts trucks, plasma torch, forklift, and an open bay with a pit. Also as far as the SC goes, you could probably buy a kid from Stillen or something for the engine/ecu that you already have. SC/Turbo'd engines from the factory are actually de-tuned for the forced induction. (IE: if you take a 4g63 and a 420a remove the turbo from the 4g63 then the 420a will out preform it.)
4g63/420a- 2.0 litre Mitsubishi I4's found in the Eclipse/Talon....4g63 factory turbo'd, 420a N/A

·
Registered
404 Posts
Speaking from experience here decide what you want to build the truck for IE rock crawling/ mudding / Overland then build it. you can waste a lot of time and money if you dont think it threw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts