Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the A/C is out on my Frontier. Mechanic said around $1,300 to replace. What parts do I need to completely replace? Condenser, dryer, and?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Usually you only replace what's needed and maybe the liquid tank (a.k.a. receiver/drier). It all depends what happened. If the system is leaking, then the part that is leaking is repaired and the system is evacuated and recharged. If the compressor seized and put debris in the system, then the compressor assembly and liquid tank would need to be replaced and possibly the expansion valve and the entire system would need to be flushed to remove any debris. If you are of the mindset of "it's 20-years old and I'm just going to replace it all," then you have the compressor assembly, liquid tank, condenser, expansion valve and evaporator, PAG oil and refrigerant...plus low and high pressure hoses, if you want. If the latter is the case, you may want to check out Rockauto.com's A/C component kits.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I'd also like to see what "mechanic" says is bad and needs replacing.

Last summer I removed a shim from my '98 Frontier AC clutch to fix a slipping clutch situation, didn't need to remove compressor or even the AC belt !!! I'd bet most mechanics simply would've quote for a new compressor, new condenser, and new drier.

My the compressor seized on my 2004 Frontier, I replaced the compressor, condenser, and drier, and backflushed the high pressure lines.

When I was pulling 1986-1993 Mazda truck parts at "the yard", 5 of the 6 dashboard AC on-off push-in switches later tested bad and I had to refurbish those. I wonder how many of those trucks were junked because owners were told or figured they needed an expensive compressor replacement....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, I'll check with him on the parts he recommends.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
When I was pulling 1986-1993 Mazda truck parts at "the yard", 5 of the 6 dashboard AC on-off push-in switches later tested bad and I had to refurbish those. I wonder how many of those trucks were junked because owners were told or figured they needed an expensive compressor replacement....
I was just about to say, sometimes it's cheaper to replace the whole vehicle.

When I was a kid in the early 60's, Sears Catalog used to sell aftermarket air conditioning systems, everything- including underdash vents/evaporator, for those cars which didn't have factory a/c - which was a very rare, expensive option back then. Why can't they sell those again?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
RedDwarf, did your mechanic actually test anything, or just throw that quote out there? You may need nothing more than a recharge or some o-rings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The mechanic is on I've used for a while. I trust them. They let buy parts to save money from their mark up and charge me labor. I know he said compressor and maybe evaporater. My thought was why not replace more parts while I'm at it. The $ value of the truck is not worth it but I am fixing it up slowly and want to keep it going.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
When I was a kid in the early 60's, Sears Catalog used to sell aftermarket air conditioning systems, everything- including underdash vents/evaporator, for those cars which didn't have factory a/c - which was a very rare, expensive option back then. Why can't they sell those again?
1. Very tiny market for those, AC is essentially standard these days in USA, don't know about other parts of the world.

2. Sears didn't always make smart decisions....

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I was just about to say, sometimes it's cheaper to replace the whole vehicle.

Most vehicles made in the last 40-years came with air conditioning, so there really isn't a market. I remember dealer-installing A/C kits from Nissan back in the late 80s and even up to the mid-90s on Hardbody trucks and WD21 Pathfinders. After 1995, it became pretty rare to have to do that. So, there isn't much of a market, especially when it comes to Nissan Frontiers which were not made in the numbers like domestic trucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally got around to taking the Truck in for something. Windshield wipers transmission broke. Anyway, he said I need a complete A/C kit. Said the compressor seized. Since it is brutally hot in Texas I'm shopping for the parts.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I doubt very seriously the Evaporator Coil needs to be changed. Those rarely go out and I HIghly Doubt you need a Complete System.

Having said that. I"ve seen new complete systems on ebay for less than $400 Brand New

RockAuto.Com is a great place with great prices

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I finally got around to taking the Truck in for something. Anyway, he said I need a complete A/C kit. Said the compressor seized. Since it is brutally hot in Texas I'm shopping for the parts.
It's hot in Texas, but not as hot as where I am, Arizona desert !!

I doubt very seriously the Evaporator Coil needs to be changed. Those rarely go out and I Highly Doubt you need a Complete System.
Agree with TxDayTrader's statement.

Oct. 2018 my the compressor seized on my 2004 Frontier, I replaced the compressor, condenser, and drier, and backflushed the high pressure lines. I bought my brand-new AC compressor, condenser, and drier from RockAuto. Add in the can of aerosol flush, new refrigeration O-rings, refrigeration oil containing UV dye, and R134a, figure it cost me about $300. I already have my own vacuum pump and service gauge set. See 2004 Frontier King Cab thread especially Post #28.

With engine off, take your 10mm socket and and try to turn the AC compressor drive plate bolt, see if that turns clockwise at all, and report back. If your compressor is seized, you should not be able to turn the drive plate.

Since I'm not in Texas, that is first step. If it turns out that the compressor is not seized, we'll approach that after.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts