Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
I had a 1998 Toyota Tacoma that had the frame rot problem.

Sucked because it just turned 60,xxx miles and there wasn't one (other) damn thing wrong with it.

Toyota was super about it though, I must say that.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Sounds like quite an issue that keeps popping up for them. Wouldn't you think they'd put a better protective on their frames??

·
Registered
862 Posts
This Tundra issue is crazy.

Tundra owner complaints:

2001 TOYOTA TUNDRA. SEVERE AMOUNT OF FRAME RUST. LOCAL OIL CHANGE SHOPS REFUSE TO DO AN OIL CHANGE BECAUSE OF FEAR OF GETTING VEHICLE ON LIFT AND HAVING IT FALL DUE TO FRAME BEING SO RUSTED. TOYOTA NEEDS TO FIX THESE PROBLEMS ON ALL OF THEIR TRUCKS. THIS IS A MAJOR SAFETY CONCERN. *TR

THE FRAME ON MY 2001 TOYOTA TUNDRA IS RUSTED AND CRACKED; DESPITE THE FACT THAT I STILL OWE 2 YEARS ON THE LOAN. *TR

I HAVE CONTACTED TOYOTA SEVERAL TIMES. I HAVE A 2001 TUNDRA ACCESS CAB WITH ONLY 61K. THE FRAME IS RUSTING OFF THE TRUCK AND IS GOING TO BE WORTHLESS IN A YEARS TIME. I TOOK THE TRUCK TO A LOCAL TOYOTA DEALERSHIP AND THEY PUT THE TRUCK UP ON THE LIFT. THE GUY LOOKED IT OVER AND SAID THAT I SHOULD HAVE A COUPLE OF YEARS LEFT BEFORE IT WOULDN'T PASS INSPECTION AND IT WOULD BE UNSAFE. THIS IS A PROBLEM SINCE I WON'T HAVE MANY MORE THAN 75K ON THE TRUCK. I BOUGHT A TOYOTA FOR THE LONG HAUL NOT JUST 75K. THEY DID REGISTER MY COMPLAINT BUT SAID THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO. MANY OTHER OWNERS ARE STARTING TO SEE THE SAME PROBLEM. *TR

2001 TUNDRA MY BRAKES LET GO DUE TO RUSTY LINE. WHEN REPLACING THE LINE THE MECHANIC POINTED OUT EXCESSIVE RUST TO CROSS MEMBERS OF FRAME. WHEN THE BODY WAS LIFTED OFF TO REPLACE THESE CROSS MEMBERS A CRACK WAS FOUND IN THE FRAME. THE TRUCK IS NO LONGER SAFE TO DRIVE AND HAS A VALUE OF $0 COMPARED TO THE $9000 VALUE BEFORE THE DISCOVERY. TOYOTA WILL NOT BACK THEIR PRODUCT. *TR

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in the comments on that page someone mentions frontiers had the smae problem - is that true?
i read that and searched for frame rust issues with our nissans and found nothing...maybe 1 or 2 trucks out of millions and thats probably due to the lack of car care. regardless of what vehicle you own you MUST MUST MUST keep the frame or subframe of of your vehicle clean during the winter months for states that get snow. i thought this was just an issue on the 95-00 tacoma never knew about the tundra, a buddy of mine's dad has an 02 tundra i will have to let him know about this problem. toyota needs to get their act together and make a better frame. who knows in a few more years the new tacomas or new tundras frame might do the same.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
Sounds like BS to me.
I think we (CF) would know about an issue like that.
Frontier and Titan don't, though D21/WD21 have rather severe frame rusting issues. back wheel wells especially.

Thats why I live out west, no salt :)

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Luck you IYF, can't avoid salt here in the North East.
It sucks balls.
yeah man you aint kidding, i hate driving my truck when it snows due to the fact of salt. i looked at my frame yesterday and though there are small signs of surface rust my frame is in real good shape, as for the surface rust i sanded them down as good as i could and just repainted them with tough rust proof paint, whether i got it all or not i don't know but i am trying not to let my frame get like these toyota's frames.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I've got some small rust problems, but I constantly paint my frame after really good washes. But todd, that is some really bad rust. I would be scared to be hit in that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts