Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 things I was wondering about. First, only when I have the heater on I can smell exhaust. Before last week I thought this was because of the catalitic converter breaking in half above the 02 sensor, it has been leaking since I bought the truck and finally broke last week. Well I fixed that and it does not leak anymore. I cant hear any exhaust leaks now.
The second thing is my temp gauge, some times it works and some times it doesn't. For example, I drove around for a couple hours today running errands and the needle did not move all day. But when I drove to work tonight(I work nights) 10 miles away from home, half way there my thermostat is right in the middle where it should be. Just doesnt make since to me.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Tommy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No body has any ideas?

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
lose wire, weak ground.

and does it still smell like exhaust? try only inside air. but the air is coming from outside, but the exhaust should come out the back, you might still have a leak somewhere.

and does heat work good when the needle on the thermostat is all the way cold?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I can still smell the exhaust, I will try using inside air and see if that helps.

Heat still works when thermostat is all the way cold. The truck warms up like it should, even when it was below freezing. Heat works really well. Maybe the gauge is just broke.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
yeah im guessing a weak connection.

and as far as the exhaust. that might be a little more difficult. it could be your air filter to your cabin that has so much exhaust fumes built up from when the exhaust leaked. so unless you change the filter it will stay that way.

just my guess though

·
Registered
770 Posts
Not sure about the the smell stuff, but recently with my wifes car the temp guage was not rising, the car would warm up and did give heat but we did a flush and replaced the t-stat and the temp guage came back alive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The weak connection could be very difficult to find. I think Ill just live with it for now. May try to change the thermostat and flush the system, if a can get around to it.

I did try the inside air only, and it seemed to help. I had no idea there was a cabin filter, is this something I can get at like autozone or another parts store? And where is it located, somewhere on the firewall?

Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
60 Posts
my gauge does the same thing on the temp. My fuel gauge is starting to act up a little also. I'm thinking the gauges are going bad. The fuel will sometimes be lower than it really is. Last time I gave the dash a hard slap and it jumped to the correct fuel. Maybe loose. But, the temp won't budge regardless of what I do. Then, it will work again on its own. I'm almost certain the gauge is bad.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'd change the microfilter (remove the glovebox and look) to see if that eliminates the smell, as Andy said.
As for the temp. guage, 1st I'd check the connection at the sending unit. Unplug and plug it in a few times, add a little white lithium for the final plug. Then I'd remove, clean, and grease ALL my grounding points, not forgetting the 2 under the side kick plates inside the cabin. Might as well do the battery terminals and main ground while you're at it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. They are greatly appreciated.

Tommy

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yeah i'm guessing its most likely an exhaust leak in and around your engine which is why your getting it sucked up into your cabin air intake

1 - 11 of 11 Posts