Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2011 Suzuki equator but I want to put a leveling kit on.

Should I go with it too or the three in which is the proper one?
It's the same as the frontier other than the front end right so I'm adding this to the struts. Should I change the struts as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
If you have anything but the 2wd 4 cylinder, a 3" lift is going to give you a terrible ride. Not enough drop travel.

Technically you have a shock with the coil spring over it. A strut does not have an upper control arm. The term however is used interchangeably.

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I commented on one of your other posts, but here's the link for the SPC upper control arm that fits your truck.

Here's a good article on All Dogs website about upper control arms.

Thank you! I think I'm going to get a 2in and replace it I thought I could get by with two and a half but there's just not enough travel and I'm certainly not willing to spend $600 for those control arms. The ride with the two and a half is really not bad at all it's just the lack of clearance from the upper control arms hitting the shock with coil spring housing

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thank you! I think I'm going to get a 2in and replace it I thought I could get by with two and a half but there's just not enough travel and I'm certainly not willing to spend $600 for those control arms. The ride with the two and a half is really not bad at all it's just the lack of clearance from the upper control arms hitting the shock with coil spring housing
That will be a good budget solution! Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Technically you have a shock with the coil spring over it. A strut does not have an upper control arm. The term however is used interchangeably.
It’s funny. You’re absolutely correct but I’ve always referred to any coil-spring/shock assembly as a strut. A macpherson strut is obviously a different set up entirely but I’d never seen this (slightly pedantic) misnomer pointed to before and I have
1 - A year long, 40 hr/week tech school
2 - A six month, 40 hr/week BMW Master school
3 - eleven years of experience as an ASE Master/BMW Master tech

We always just called them struts. Sorry to derail the thread.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
It’s funny. You’re absolutely correct but I’ve always referred to any coil-spring/shock assembly as a strut. A macpherson strut is obviously a different set up entirely but I’d never seen this (slightly pedantic) misnomer pointed to before and I have

I win the INTERNET!! Person with your "cred" agrees with me. I am going to quote your post FOREVER!!

The difference is very apparent when work on a McP strut and see that the shaft is 3/4" + in diameter for a little car and our trucks shock's shaft are sub 1/2.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So with all of that knowledge, what is your thoughts on the 2 inch spacer giving me the extra clearance?

·
Registered
40 Posts
So with all of that knowledge, what is your thoughts on the 2 inch spacer giving me the extra clearance?
I like the 2” idea. That’s about two fewer inches of down travel before the upper control arm makes contact though - which is why the aftermarket UCAs were suggested. I’ve got nothing against conservative spacer lifts for fitting more tire. Anything over 2” is pushing it though. Go cheap, get it done, and start saving for something more substantial (and upper control arms!).

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you're just trying to clear larger tires, have you considered just doing a body lift? It would leave your suspension travel/geometry alone and you could get it done for less than a spacer lift. Food for thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts