Nissan Frontier Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
PRG, Nisstec, Alldogs... everyone offers a 'full kit' and installing the lift yourself is not difficult for someone that can easily change oil, belts, change a tire... As long as you aren't fighting lots of rust.
At 2" you might experience coil bucket contact. If yes, then an aftermarket UCA. SPC for a sealed balljoint, PRG or TotalChaos for a Uniball.

Lifting the rear can be done with AAL, blocks or extended shackles OR full leafpack. Price for first 3 is all about the same new. Personally, I'd go for a new pack. OldManEmu has a nice pack, Alcans are Great! and you can tune the lift and intended weight. But for a 1.5 - 2" lift at stock loads, OME is fine and slightly cheaper.
In front, Bil5100s are good, and you can play around with spring preload and top shims to give lift and stiffness. Nisstec MK84s are also great, as are the Fox and Kings. But for budget, Bil 5100s all around and a shackle or AAL is the sweet spot.

Then perform the Melt Mod and you can fit 33" tires. Do you Need 33s? no. This truck on 265/75/16 is plenty capable. Add skids & sliders and you won't worry about any rocky road! 33s just make it more comfortable. Less thwaks, more aired-down (more traction and softer ride) is another bonus from 33s.

TLDR: that shop saw you coming from across town. Buy a DIY kit and do it yourself as long as you have hand tools and an impact gun. (don't NEED it, but it makes it SOOOO much easier)
I had a respectable shop tell me that I could keep the Bilstein 4600's with a 1.5-2" AAL. While I'm sure it would work, it seems to me the shocks wouldn't be long enough at full extension. What are your thoughts?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
I had a respectable shop tell me that I could keep the Bilstein 4600's with a 1.5-2" AAL. While I'm sure it would work, it seems to me the shocks wouldn't be long enough at full extension. What are your thoughts?

Thanks again
If you use a 2" spacer on the 4600, yes you can aal rear. You will have the same ride in the front.
If you like how it dips & rolls, go for it.
If you like a firmer ride, get some 5100s, set the ring to 1 or 1.5 inch lift (3rd or 4th groove) and add spacers to match lift in the rear.
Springrate is important. Too little and it feels like mush or jello. Too much and its a brick.
I like the 5100 because you can get better droop with mild lift. Droop is king offroad. Gives smoother ride, less broken parts, ...
You run lift to fit big tires.

Reactions: exTacomaGuy

·
Registered
229 Posts
Did you pull the trigger yet? I'm leaning towards 5100's and an AAL.
I've talked to a lot of shops and hear different things from all of them so it can get a bit confusing.
The last shop was trying to to convince me to get new upper control arms. Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems overkill on a 2" lift?
My knowledge has all been gathered in the last few months so I'm no professional. I think control arms are recommended at 2 inches of spacer lift to avoid cb contact. I'm not sure how the billsteins effect that. I have not yet pulled the trigger but after tons of debate, reading of reviews, and incredible feedback on this forum I have decided against the billsteins until I am ready to do something more serious lift wise (aka when the truck is paid off in a few years and I have a new motorcycle to do more of my daily driving). I decided on the 1.5 inch spacer set from Greg at PRG. Should effect my ride the least, is the cheapest, and should avoid any cb contact and all that. Should level the truck perfectly... all around seems like a win despite my strong reluctance to do a spacer lift. For 100 bucks I figure I can just take it off and reconsider if I am not satisfied. Spacer is shipping today.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
My knowledge has all been gathered in the last few months so I'm no professional. I think control arms are recommended at 2 inches of spacer lift to avoid cb contact. I'm not sure how the billsteins effect that. I have not yet pulled the trigger but after tons of debate, reading of reviews, and incredible feedback on this forum I have decided against the billsteins until I am ready to do something more serious lift wise (aka when the truck is paid off in a few years and I have a new motorcycle to do more of my daily driving). I decided on the 1.5 inch spacer set from Greg at PRG. Should effect my ride the least, is the cheapest, and should avoid any cb contact and all that. Should level the truck perfectly... all around seems like a win despite my strong reluctance to do a spacer lift. For 100 bucks I figure I can just take it off and reconsider if I am not satisfied. Spacer is shipping today.
1.5 lift is the most you can go and ne sure of no cbc. At 2" there will be some cbc, unless you never drive rough roads.

·
Registered
229 Posts
1.5 lift is the most you can go and ne sure of no cbc. At 2" there will be some cbc, unless you never drive rough roads.
Is this also applicable to the billstein route? this was why i only ended up with the 1.5 inch spacer, no cbc for me! just hoping the 1.5 inch in the front doesn't make it lean... truck has around 1.25 inches of rake at the moment per my constant measuring :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Is this also applicable to the billstein route? this was why i only ended up with the 1.5 inch spacer, no cbc for me! just hoping the 1.5 inch in the front doesn't make it lean... truck has around 1.25 inches of rake at the moment per my constant measuring :rolleyes:
Yes.
Technically you could run 2" on 5100 and not have cbc as it has more travel than 4600, but overall length is shorter than a 4600 with 2" spacer.
A 5100 at 1.5 and a 0.5 spacer might cbc. But not guaranteed. A 4600 with 2" spacer will at full droop

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Yes.
Technically you could run 2" on 5100 and not have cbc as it has more travel than 4600, but overall length is shorter than a 4600 with 2" spacer.
A 5100 at 1.5 and a 0.5 spacer might cbc. But not guaranteed. A 4600 with 2" spacer will at full droop
Yes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Yes.
I'm glad everything worked out the way you wanted but bummed I didnt get to hear how the 5100 setup was treating you. cheers

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Yes.
Thanks, that is great to know. I'm still mulling over options.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
If you use a 2" spacer on the 4600, yes you can aal rear. You will have the same ride in the front.
If you like how it dips & rolls, go for it.
If you like a firmer ride, get some 5100s, set the ring to 1 or 1.5 inch lift (3rd or 4th groove) and add spacers to match lift in the rear.
Springrate is important. Too little and it feels like mush or jello. Too much and its a brick.
I like the 5100 because you can get better droop with mild lift. Droop is king offroad. Gives smoother ride, less broken parts, ...
You run lift to fit big tires.
Sorry, my post might not have been very clear. They were saying to go 5100 in front and keep the 4600's in the back with the 1.5 AAL. I would think the 4600's would be a bit overextended?

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Sorry, my post might not have been very clear. They were saying to go 5100 in front and keep the 4600's in the back with the 1.5 AAL. I would think the 4600's would be a bit overextended?
Ahhh... then no, the 4600 in the rear will top out and limit travel.
But this CAN be a good thing IF you dont wheel or only do stock fire roads. It will keep you from having to unclip your brake and abs lines. But it will result in a rougher ride as the rear shocks are constantly topping out.
Not a Bad choice if you are short on funds, but something to put on the list of needed upgrades, just like the UCAs.
The goal is to have enough lift to fit the tire with some uptravel, and have lots of downtravel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
That sounds like a plan.
Ahhh... then no, the 4600 in the rear will top out and limit travel.
But this CAN be a good thing IF you dont wheel or only do stock fire roads. It will keep you from having to unclip your brake and abs lines. But it will result in a rougher ride as the rear shocks are constantly topping out.
Not a Bad choice if you are short on funds, but something to put on the list of needed upgrades, just like the UCAs.
The goal is to have enough lift to fit the tire with some uptravel, and have lots of downtravel.
Perfect thanks mtyler, thats what I suspected. I really appreciate the input.
Money allowing, I think I'm going to go with: 5100's in front set to 1.5" and a 1.5" AAL with 5100's (or 5125's) in the rear.
Do you see any holes in this setup?
1. Do I have to un-clip lines at 1.5" in the rear?
2. Do I need new UCA's at 1.5" front (I didnt' think so but had one shop try to say otherwise)?
3. Are adjustable cam bolts necessary at this height?

Thanks again for the advice!

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Cam bolts: yes. Even if you run UCAs, the bolts makes it easier on the alignment, especially with SPC.
Unclipping lines: shouldnt need to, but when installing you want as much slack as you can get. Before hooking the lines in the holders, first let the rear droop out with the shocks installed. That will tell definitively if you can clip them back in.
I first secured my brake lines, then zip tied the abs wires to the brake line.
The combo you've chosen will work fine and support future mods/lift too
When you get your alignment, shoot for 0 camber and all the caster.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Cam bolts: yes. Even if you run UCAs, the bolts makes it easier on the alignment, especially with SPC.
Unclipping lines: shouldnt need to, but when installing you want as much slack as you can get. Before hooking the lines in the holders, first let the rear droop out with the shocks installed. That will tell definitively if you can clip them back in.
I first secured my brake lines, then zip tied the abs wires to the brake line.
The combo you've chosen will work fine and support future mods/lift too
When you get your alignment, shoot for 0 camber and all the caster.
Thanks man, I really appreciate all the advice.

So that's a no on the UCA's at 1.5"?

·
Registered
430 Posts

Aftermarket UCAs are not needed with just 1.5" lift. Your stock ones won't come into contact with the coil bucket at that lift.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts

Bilstein designed the length of the 5100 so it prevents cbc at full droop. The reason a stock shock with a 2" spacer has cbc is on the droop it drops further than a 5100 with no spacer. The 5100 provides lift with preload on the coil. This is also why folk find the best ride is with 1 to 1.5 inch of lift on the 5100 because its in the middle of the travel. If you need more lift than the 1.5, add 1.5 spacer. Just keep total lift no greater than 3inch. If 1.5 is too stiff for you, set at 1 and add spacer for desired lift.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Bilstein designed the length of the 5100 so it prevents cbc at full droop. The reason a stock shock with a 2" spacer has cbc is on the droop it drops further than a 5100 with no spacer. The 5100 provides lift with preload on the coil. This is also why folk find the best ride is with 1 to 1.5 inch of lift on the 5100 because its in the middle of the travel. If you need more lift than the 1.5, add 1.5 spacer. Just keep total lift no greater than 3inch. If 1.5 is too stiff for you, set at 1 and add spacer for desired lift.
Thanks man! I've been researching different options at different prices and all the input from Club Frontier members has been invaluable.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Thanks man! I've been researching different options at different prices and all the input from Club Frontier members has been invaluable.
here's some Bilstein literature that talks/shows about why a 5100 alone is good for lift and won't cause CBC.

and here's a vid that shows several shocks side by side

61 - 80 of 92 Posts