Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
PRG, Nisstec, Alldogs... everyone offers a 'full kit' and installing the lift yourself is not difficult for someone that can easily change oil, belts, change a tire... As long as you aren't fighting lots of rust.
At 2" you might experience coil bucket contact. If yes, then an aftermarket UCA. SPC for a sealed balljoint, PRG or TotalChaos for a Uniball.

Lifting the rear can be done with AAL, blocks or extended shackles OR full leafpack. Price for first 3 is all about the same new. Personally, I'd go for a new pack. OldManEmu has a nice pack, Alcans are Great! and you can tune the lift and intended weight. But for a 1.5 - 2" lift at stock loads, OME is fine and slightly cheaper.
In front, Bil5100s are good, and you can play around with spring preload and top shims to give lift and stiffness. Nisstec MK84s are also great, as are the Fox and Kings. But for budget, Bil 5100s all around and a shackle or AAL is the sweet spot.

Then perform the Melt Mod and you can fit 33" tires. Do you Need 33s? no. This truck on 265/75/16 is plenty capable. Add skids & sliders and you won't worry about any rocky road! 33s just make it more comfortable. Less thwaks, more aired-down (more traction and softer ride) is another bonus from 33s.

TLDR: that shop saw you coming from across town. Buy a DIY kit and do it yourself as long as you have hand tools and an impact gun. (don't NEED it, but it makes it SOOOO much easier)
Thanks, super helpful input. Yea, I could tell they had marked me for a sucker, LOL. It's a lot of information to sort through if you don't want to do it twice... : )

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks everyone for all the input, it's been really helpful. One more question if anyone is up for it.

The Pro 4x rides about 1.5 to 2" higher than a regular Frontier. Would adding a 2" lift actually gain two inches over what the Pro 4x clearance is?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the input, it's been really helpful. One more question if anyone is up for it.

The Pro 4x rides about 1.5 to 2" higher than a regular Frontier. Would adding a 2" lift actually gain two inches over what the Pro 4x clearance is?

Thanks again,
I think that info is wrong.. pro4x is about 1/2” higher due to the larger tires. So depending on what tires you put on, it will be 2” plus tire height difference. Probably about 2 5/8” over stock pro4x if you use 285/75/16

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put the Rough Country 2" lift on my truck. It worked.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I put the Rough Country 2" lift on my truck. It worked.

So this is the 2.5” or 2”? In your post back then it said 2.5”
Got any pics with the new tires on it?

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts

Thanks again,
You can look tje numbers up in the FSM. P4X increase is only due to 32" tire over the 31" for S/SV/SL... all same suspension components save the Bils4600. There is also some argument if the front springrate is slightly greater, but I don't believe so. And no matter because its still not enough to deal with a bumper or winch, so you have to go aftermarket anyway.
The tallest you can go with No CBC is 1.5"
2" will be some contact at full extension. You will hear them popping over speedbumps or winging down fire roads.
Max height without relocating front diff is 3". You Can fit 33s with 2" & meltmod, may see slight rub. 3" will do 33s and some 34s, especially if you find narrow rubber, like TSLs...
Raine has an improved method of the meltmod in his build thread. In addition to remolding the liner, he also trims the lower corner of the fender and tucks the liner back a smidge too.

Reactions: exTacomaGuy

·
Registered
430 Posts
This pic is showing the Alldogs spring lift (no spacers) installed on a Pro-4X (not mine). No UCA-coil bucket contact at full droop. Still has 1/2" clearance.

ADO kit full droop .5" clearance 2.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
This pic is showing the Alldogs spring lift (no spacers) installed on a Pro-4X (not mine). No UCA-coil bucket contact at full droop. Still has 1/2" clearance.

View attachment 311469
Looks similar to the ome 2" IIRC they limit downtravel to prevent cbc. If you 2" spacer or 5100s you'll have more droop and cbc. Looks like nice kit though

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You can look tje numbers up in the FSM. P4X increase is only due to 32" tire over the 31" for S/SV/SL... all same suspension components save the Bils4600. There is also some argument if the front springrate is slightly greater, but I don't believe so. And no matter because its still not enough to deal with a bumper or winch, so you have to go aftermarket anyway.
The tallest you can go with No CBC is 1.5"
2" will be some contact at full extension. You will hear them popping over speedbumps or winging down fire roads.
Max height without relocating front diff is 3". You Can fit 33s with 2" & meltmod, may see slight rub. 3" will do 33s and some 34s, especially if you find narrow rubber, like TSLs...
Raine has an improved method of the meltmod in his build thread. In addition to remolding the liner, he also trims the lower corner of the fender and tucks the liner back a smidge too.
Super helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

View attachment 311469
Thanks, Iv'e been looking at this kit. I have limited knowledge about lifts so forgive me if this sounds dumb. How can you have a longer coil on the stock Bilstein?

Do you know who's rig that is or is it a picture from All Dogs?

Thanks again,

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
The Alldogs front struts is new spring and shock.
But either way, a longer coil would mean more preload.
This is the principal the Bils5100s use. It gives adjustable lift with adjustable preload

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks, Iv'e been looking at this kit. I have limited knowledge about lifts so forgive me if this sounds dumb. How can you have a longer coil on the stock Bilstein?

Do you know who's rig that is or is it a picture from All Dogs?

Thanks again,
Alldogs Offroad (ADO) sent me that photo after I asked them about clearance at full droop. I believe it's Daywalker's truck. By putting a coil that's a little longer and a little stiffer it extends the stock Bilstein shock giving you lift. The adjustable 5100s are a bit longer, have a bit more travel, and are designed for lifted trucks, but ADO recommends NOT using anything but the lowest setting on them with their coils. The ride would suck if you preloaded the stiffer, longer springs.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Putting a longer coil on a stock shock (black body or Bil4600) would give a horrible ride and constantly top out the shock, lilely damaging it.
Just as running these coils or OME coils on a Bil5100 at any groove above the bottom would be not great.

The Bil5100 is longer, and longer travel, than a stock 4600. They are Shorter than a stock shock With a 2" tophat lift spacer.
People have been using the Bils5100 for a decade oe more with a longer coil(like the OME) or with 1.5" lift setting And 1.5" lift tophat spacer for a total of 3" lift.
With 2" or more you need an aftermarket UCA.
The 'negative' for the OME or Alldogs shock&spring is the reduced droop to prevent cbc. If you don't wheel, its not an issue. But if you wheel, droop is as important if not more than the lift. You need droop for a good ride and traction. If theres no droop, then youll always be hanging a tire or depending on the rear axle flex.
Does this mean theyre junk? Not at all. For the average driver they're a tuned kit allowing for bolt-in and go.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Putting a longer coil on a stock shock (black body or Bil4600) would give a horrible ride and constantly top out the shock, lilely damaging it.
Just as running these coils or OME coils on a Bil5100 at any groove above the bottom would be not great.

The Bil5100 is longer, and longer travel, than a stock 4600. They are Shorter than a stock shock With a 2" tophat lift spacer.
People have been using the Bils5100 for a decade oe more with a longer coil(like the OME) or with 1.5" lift setting And 1.5" lift tophat spacer for a total of 3" lift.
The 'negative' for the OME or Alldogs shock&spring is the reduced droop to prevent cbc. If you don't wheel, its not an issue. But if you wheel, droop is as important if not more than the lift. You need droop for a good ride and traction. If theres no droop, then youll always be hanging a tire or depending on the rear axle flex.
Does this mean theyre junk? Not at all. For the average driver they're a tuned kit allowing for bolt-in and go.
I agree -- these are a tuned bolt-on kit for the average driver (like me). But with any lift-- other than a drop bracket or body lift -- you will lose some droop. I may or may not add a 1/4" thick top plate spacer to my ADO kit when it's installed.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
I agree -- these are a tuned bolt-on kit for the average driver (like me). But with any lift-- other than a drop bracket or body lift -- you will lose some droop. I may or may not add a 1/4" thick top plate spacer to my ADO kit when it's installed.
Your droop will only be reduced if you add more lift than your free hang. How to tell if you can get more lift without compromising droop? Jack up the front end and remove the lower shock eye bolt. The lca,knuckle,uca assy should drop. If not, and you have stock uca, replace and youll get more available drop. If aftermarket uca, look at steering shaft, balljoints, cv, ... binding points.

Reactions: rdp91356

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Alldogs Offroad (ADO) sent me that photo after I asked them about clearance at full droop. I believe it's Daywalker's truck. By putting a coil that's a little longer and a little stiffer it extends the stock Bilstein shock giving you lift. The adjustable 5100s are a bit longer, have a bit more travel, and are designed for lifted trucks, but ADO recommends NOT using anything but the lowest setting on them with their coils. The ride would suck if you preloaded the stiffer, longer springs.
Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

Very helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

What do you think about running the Bil 5100's at 2", with the stock coil off a pro 4x? (sorry if this is redundant but it was suggested by a local shop).

21 - 40 of 92 Posts