Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at adding a two inch lift to a Pro 4x for light to moderate off road if I can stomach the price.

The guys at my local shop recommended a setup using ABR leaf springs and Bilstein 6112's. Is anyone else using this setup and do you like it? How close is the ride quality to the factory Bilsteins? Although I am mechanically inclined I don't trust myself to do the install. $2780 sound like a fair price?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Uhhhhh no. that is a rip off. It is not difficult to do yourself.

Honestly you'd be better off adding some protection to the truck before lifting or modifying the suspension.

Go read the following.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That does seem expensive. There are several ways to lift your truck and something along the lines of the billstein 5100s or a coil spring/shock combo that will run you alot cheaper. For comparison, I'm getting estimates right now for billstein 5100s (up to 2 inches of lift but recommended a little less) that cost 380 or so for the pair, 800 to have installed. Search around on this site and do your research there is a ton here, and you wont regret into hopping into anything sudden. There is SO much info, if you havent overwhelmed yourself you'll be disappointed by the time it's done.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That does seem expensive. There are several ways to lift your truck and something along the lines of the billstein 5100s or a coil spring/shock combo that will run you alot cheaper. For comparison, I'm getting estimates right now for billstein 5100s (up to 2 inches of lift but recommended a little less) that cost 380 or so for the pair, 800 to have installed. Search around on this site and do your research there is a ton here, and you wont regret into hopping into anything sudden. There is SO much info, if you havent overwhelmed yourself you'll be disappointed by the time it's done.
Thanks for the input, lots to think about.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uhhhhh no. that is a rip off. It is not difficult to do yourself.

Honestly you'd be better off adding some protection to the truck before lifting or modifying the suspension.

Go read the following.

Thanks for the input, it seemed really steep to me too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the Pro 4x comes with 5100's. I had read on another post that there was a way to get 2 inches using new coil springs with the existing 5100's and adding leafs (All Dogs Off-road for example). I was hoping to get some expert advice about this option. The shop wasn't hearing it... (working the up-sale)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the input, lots to think about.
Also the size of tire you're wanting to run, how much trimming you want to do, etc. It all comes into play and is dependent on that lift. I'm not very mechanical myself and have lost myself in information over the last 6 months of owning my truck. Dont let a shop tell you what you want, that's my best advice

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think the Pro 4x comes with 5100's. I had read on another post that there was a way to get 2 inches using new coil springs with the existing 5100's and adding leafs (All Dogs Off-road for example). I was hoping to get some expert advice about this option. The shop wasn't hearing it... (working the up-sale)
If I'm not mistaken the pro4x comes with the 4600s which are non adjustable, hence no lift option out of them. But my truck isnt an x and I'm not 100 percent certain. I know the older nismos ran 4600s because my buddy has one :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I'm not mistaken the pro4x comes with the 4600s which are non adjustable, hence no lift option out of them. But my truck isnt an x and I'm not 100 percent certain. I know the older nismos ran 4600s because my buddy has one :)
I think your right on the 4600's, my bad. : )

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you just leveling or do you plan on doing something to the back too?

·
Premium Member
5,969 Posts
OP, you need to itemize everything that shop is intending to install + cost of labor. If they're calling for new lower control arms as well as new leaf springs + shocks all around AND an alignment, then that price is looking a lot more reality based.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
OP, you need to itemize everything that shop is intending to install + cost of labor. If they're calling for new lower control arms as well as new leaf springs + shocks all around AND an alignment, then that price is looking a lot more reality based.
And still high.. but like shift is saying.. for that price it should all be new!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Are you just leveling or do you plan on doing something to the back too?
I only went with 265/75/16 ko2s to save a little mpg so I'm just going to level for now. I think I might think about adding lift coils or a small spacer up front and a shackle in the back if I decide to up my tire size to 285/75/16 on my next set of tires. I already have the tires on but the rims I'm waiting on backorder for will push my wheel out and require I do the level. Then I'm going to start considering armor (primarily sliders) just to get a little protection since I wont be gaining that much clearance

·
Rogue Admin
13,272 Posts
If I only wanted 2" of lift, I would recommend the Fox Coils up front. I have had stock suspension with a spacer, Radlfo 2.5" coils, and now Fox coils. The Fox coils ride incredibly smooth on road and off-road and have been taking the beating that I lay on them now for 4 years or more. For mild off roading, you can shim the rear leaf pack, though the rear leaf pack is weak and they do flatten out in short order.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Just to give you an idea of what you could get for a lot less and then labor on top or do it yourself and save.
I bought new.. lower A arms $150, struts $150, 4 camber bolts $50, 2.5” lift spacers $50, rear tapered leaf spring blocks $50.

You may not need LCAs and you probably don’t need struts.. I purchased this for my older frontier but sold it. I’m not sure what year yours is but if the a arm bolts are froze/rusted you will probably have to get new LCAs. I have since milled my spacers down for a 2” lift so hopefully I do not need to purchase UCAs for even more camber adjustments “reason” for milling spacers. Camber bolts should take care of alignment.

I’ve been toying around with this for a while and have decided to purchase OEM camber bolts to make sure everything stays in spec and no rattles..I hope! not to say others would but don’t want to chance it with new tires. 4 of them run $130.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you order a kit like this with the coilovers preassembled it's pretty much a bolt-in deal if you have tools, a warm space to work, and some means to get the truck off the ground (jack & stands or a 2post lift). The coilovers swap in and out pretty easy and the AAL or leaf packs are straight forward to install. Budget a day's worth of time and an alignment and you'd be good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
PRG, Nisstec, Alldogs... everyone offers a 'full kit' and installing the lift yourself is not difficult for someone that can easily change oil, belts, change a tire... As long as you aren't fighting lots of rust.
At 2" you might experience coil bucket contact. If yes, then an aftermarket UCA. SPC for a sealed balljoint, PRG or TotalChaos for a Uniball.

Lifting the rear can be done with AAL, blocks or extended shackles OR full leafpack. Price for first 3 is all about the same new. Personally, I'd go for a new pack. OldManEmu has a nice pack, Alcans are Great! and you can tune the lift and intended weight. But for a 1.5 - 2" lift at stock loads, OME is fine and slightly cheaper.
In front, Bil5100s are good, and you can play around with spring preload and top shims to give lift and stiffness. Nisstec MK84s are also great, as are the Fox and Kings. But for budget, Bil 5100s all around and a shackle or AAL is the sweet spot.

Then perform the Melt Mod and you can fit 33" tires. Do you Need 33s? no. This truck on 265/75/16 is plenty capable. Add skids & sliders and you won't worry about any rocky road! 33s just make it more comfortable. Less thwaks, more aired-down (more traction and softer ride) is another bonus from 33s.

TLDR: that shop saw you coming from across town. Buy a DIY kit and do it yourself as long as you have hand tools and an impact gun. (don't NEED it, but it makes it SOOOO much easier)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I only wanted 2" of lift, I would recommend the Fox Coils up front. I have had stock suspension with a spacer, Radlfo 2.5" coils, and now Fox coils. The Fox coils ride incredibly smooth on road and off-road and have been taking the beating that I lay on them now for 4 years or more. For mild off roading, you can shim the rear leaf pack, though the rear leaf pack is weak and they do flatten out in short order.
Thanks for the input, i'm still looking around and its helpfull.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts