Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a loss. I have a '07 LE Crew Cab 4.0 with 208,000 miles. In September the ECM fried with typical symptom: had plenty of juice, but just wouldn't start after I had parked it and turned it off 5 minutes before. This was replaced with a new OEM ECM.

Two weeks ago, the same thing occurred, this time while I was driving down the road...just sudden death of the engine. Since the repair and part had a warranty, I went back to same location. They said it's the same problem (though luckily under warranty this time). They said they've checked common causes for such failure but see nothing wrong. I was told they see this quite regularly on Frontier and other similar Nissans.

The only thing I did before this began was to replace the negative battery cable (which should be properly grounded) and put in a different head unit/stereo. I hated it, so I took it out and put everything back as it should be in October.

I can't imagine either of those two things could've caused an issue, but stranger things have happened. I've heard a bad ignition coil could possibly do this? But engine runs smoothly.

Any ideas as to what could cause this twice in such a short time frame? I hate to get rid of my truck...I love the thing, but I also can't have it just dying on me and needing a $1000 repair every 6 months.

·
Registered
992 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No corrosion. However, I will double check the connection on the positive terminal after reading all that. The actual connector on the positive terminal was pretty weak when I got it, so I replaced it. Last time I checked it (December) it was solidly connected, but you never know. Thanks!

Also, guess I used the wrong terminology. ECU/ECM...guess that's what I didn't find that one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts