Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'17 CC 4x4 SV LB V.T. Pkg.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Southwestern PA (Westmoreland County) and would like to get the 2 degree timing advance on my '17 Frontier. I asked a service manager to ask a service tech at a local Nissan dealership about doing it but they kind of blew me off. There are other Nisan dealerships around but it's difficult to speak to a service tech directly. Can anyone help me out that may know a service tech at a dealership, any automotive garage, or individual who can do this for me in the area? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you looked into getting a tuner? Since everything is run by a computer on your truck it would probably be a better option.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you looked into getting a tuner? Since everything is run by a computer on your truck it would probably be a better option.
I did read a little about the Hypertech and Bully Dog but neither seemed to receive a top rating. I also looked into Superchips, which was rated well, but is not available for a 2017 Frontier.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
www.uprev.com You will need to run premium gasoline.
I appreciate the suggestion. I'm not interested in running premium gas. I'm really just looking at the 2 degree advance and XTP IMS. I think these two things would make a big improvement in increasing engine response and torque.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I appreciate the suggestion. I'm not interested in running premium gas. I'm really just looking at the 2 degree advance and XTP IMS. I think these two things would make a big improvement in increasing engine response and torque.
If you adjust the timing you will need to run premium gasoline. If you run regular the computer will self adjust and change the timing there will be no benefit. Your best bet is to get a dyno tune using uprev, but don’t expect big numbers.

·
Registered
2017 SV, black with steel grey interior, towing pkg., tonneau cover, Flex Fuel
32 Posts
I did read a little about the Hypertech and Bully Dog but neither seemed to receive a top rating. I also looked into Superchips, which was rated well, but is not available for a 2017 Frontier.
I emailed Bully Dog about the 2017 and up compatibility. They don't support '17 and up due to Nissan changed the ECM programming and they can't alter it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you adjust the timing you will need to run premium gasoline. If you run regular the computer will self adjust and change the timing there will be no benefit. Your best bet is to get a dyno tune using uprev, but don’t expect big numbers.
Oh I didn't realize premium gas had to be used for the 2 degree advance. I didn't remember reading that in other posts. It seemed that many Frontier owners were running 87 and still getting the advance timing benefits.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I emailed Bully Dog about the 2017 and up compatibility. They don't support '17 and up due to Nissan changed the ECM programming and they can't alter it.
Thanks for taking the time to email Bully Dog and inquire. I wonder what Nissan changed in the ECM programming for '17 and up? Will the XTP IMS work as well or will the ECM not respond?

·
Registered
2017 SV, black with steel grey interior, towing pkg., tonneau cover, Flex Fuel
32 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to email Bully Dog and inquire. I wonder what Nissan changed in the ECM programming for '17 and up? Will the XTP IMS work as well or will the ECM not respond?
No idea. Here's the email:

Thank you for reaching out to us today. You are correct. There was a ECU change for the 2017 model year and up vehicles that prevents us from programming them. We do not have support for that vehicle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You might contact the developers of Nissan Data scan or Z1 Motorsports , and see if it will allow it on the 2017 up.
It works really well to alter timing and idle on prior years.
Just know that the ims will lean out your engine quite a bit in the midrange, roughly half a point.
You should get away with it just fine with the bump providing you have good fuel in your area.
I've done a lot of experimenting with different fuels and timing on mine.
Crappy fuel it will spark knock under load, pull timing and actually increase fuel trims so mileage will suffer.
87 non ethanol, magnaflow exhaust and kn with the spacer, 2*bump it runs really well and geta little better mileage so long as you don't drive aggressive 😁

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I've called about six Nissan dealerships within a 100 mile radius and no one will do the 2 degree timing advance. Most said they do not have the means, technology-wise to do it...really? The dealer that seemed a possibility said there would be adverse consequences down the road with the motor, so there advice was not for me to do it. Oh well...

·
Super Moderator
3,772 Posts
I normally use my Superchips tuner to bump the ignition timing on my 06, but I can also do it with my Autel MX808 diagnostic tool, which should work the same on a 2017 model. The dealer can do it with their Consult III diagnostic tool...if they want to...but may not want the liability if the engine gets damaged by doing so. My Autel cost me $365 about two years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts