Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.) a light rattling noise near glove compartment when the truck is moving (and radio is turned down and

2.) a "clicking" sound at the engine after I've stopped. Almost sounds like pings and knocks.

Does anyone else have this? My Frontier is only a 2months old, but these are some noises I wasn't expecting. I wonder if this is just part of the reak-in period. Any suggestions are SO completely welcome. I don't want to bug the crap out of my dealership's service department...

·
Registered
333 Posts
The clicking knocking sound after you turn off the engine, could it be coming from your exhaust system??? Resonator???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife's pathfinder has done it as well, but it's a 1999.

On the inside, I know there's an in-cabin filter on some models. Anything else might be loose and making a rattling noise...Just thinking of what I can check on.

Thanks again for the help...

·
Registered
733 Posts
the one inside, it could be the passenger seatbelt. I have noticed a rattling noise and thought it was something, but later realized it was just the metal part of the seatbelt hitting the plastic s of the door

·
SHIFT_Otaku(Assist - Adm)
1,482 Posts
the ping knocking sound is just the hot exhaust contracting think of it like small earthquakes as the metal is passing where it overlaps and bolts together... completely normal on a new vehicle, as it wears in it will quiet down..

inside... dont know what to tell you... I have no rattles.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The after shutdown noise is just things contracting as they cool.

There is a thread about a noise that comes from the dash area but is actually from under the hood, I believe it was an AC line that was tapping the firewall?

Do a search on dash noise and you might find it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bummer

I have an 06 SE KC and i have no pings or rattles, you need to let the dealer look at that and hopefully they'll be helpful.

·
Registered
345 Posts
noahinBR said:
1.) a light rattling noise near glove compartment when the truck is moving (and radio is turned down and

2.) a "clicking" sound at the engine after I've stopped. Almost sounds like pings and knocks.
1. You can take the glove off, take a look at this by 05_NISMO_4x4
http://www.clubfrontier.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=794
Maybe you can see what's making the noise...

2. That's normal...not sure what it is though, but I know all my cars in the past have done it...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
i had a rattling noise. it was actually the cover to the dash speaker on the passenger side. i shimmed it with some plastic and now no rattle.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
1. Interior noise - the silly little tray on top of the radio area in my fronty was rattling - try and hold that down and see if that makes a difference. Also, there was a squeak in the passenger seat...
2. Similar exterior noise - sounds like contracting metal, or maybe ac condensation dripping onto pan/underbody.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine has a little creak/rattle when the dash is cold from just behind the tray on top -- in the flat area in the center of the dash between the defroster slots. Has stopped doing it since the weather has turned warmer.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't have the in cabin rattle but the "pinging" noise you hear is coming from the catalytic converters. As TC3 stated, the noise is due to our cats contracting.

As for the interior noise, it could be due to a variety of things. Check the seatbelt buckle; microfilter element/cover; and fuse box cover. Interior noise is one of the hardest things to track down. My suggestion is getting some 3M blue painters tape and securing items one at a time.

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you can't find it, grab a friend and a short length of garden hose. One end goes to your ear, the other end hunts for the rattle, just like a stethascope. YOu'd be surprised at how well this works.

·
Registered
55 Posts
NISMO_R6 said:
the one inside, it could be the passenger seatbelt. I have noticed a rattling noise and thought it was something, but later realized it was just the metal part of the seatbelt hitting the plastic s of the door
haha I thought I was the only nut that had that problem. The funny thing about that is I keep forgetting and I'll look around to figure what the noise is.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the right side of the glove box area- but really turned out to be a pair of sunglasses up inside the holder in the roof console. Its weird the way the sound moved. I gotta put some flocking up in the glass holder!

I also have the seat belt rattle against the side panel... that is driving me nuts too, but I just buckle it.

Chris

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yup, same damn thing happened to me for about 10 minutes, drove me nuts, it sounded like my lunch box on the passenger floor board, just below the glove box:damn:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts