Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2.4L oil filter

18K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  1fstmax 
#1 ·
The guy that decided that was the best place to put it, should be kicked in the balls, then lit on fire.

Sorry just bought mine 3 months ago and it was time to change it. I'm sure everyone with a 2.4L knows all about the hassle. I'm used to my easy to work on Suzuki Samurai which takes 10 minutes tops.

Oh and I saw that filter relocater, anyone installed one? How much of a pain in the *** is that to install?

*** is censored? What kind of ****ing bullshit is that?

#14 ·
Strap wrench, 12" socket extension, and a 1/2" drive ratchet. Works every time. Newports and dog food not required :lol:
What do you mean!! The Mediums are absoulty essential, espically after squeezing your hand in that tiny hole ... espicallty if you dont remove the skid plate...

FFS fat hands ... Thank god for mediums... :laugh:

#7 ·
I broke down and bought the proper oil filter cap wrench for my first oil change after struggling with it for over an hour. The Nissan tech. that did the previous oil change before I bought the truck must have put it on with an impact wrench. I was so ready to drive to NC and hunt his a$$ down!

Heath

#9 ·
an oil filter relocator is as simple as installing an oil filter- but its just the last time you have to do it in that location.
they are available through 4x4parts.com.

#13 ·
It's not that I have huge hands or anything. It's just stupid that I have to remove parts to just get to the thing. If I go through the wheel well I have to take the tire off. If I go under I have to take the skid plate off. From the top I got too much crap digging into my arm and wrist. It's just a stupid place to put it. Why not on the other side of the engine that has very little above it?

Lucky for me the guy before me didn't over tighten it. I was able to get it off by hand, and put it back on for the same way for just that reason.

Oh and does anyone actual have the relocation kit?

#16 ·
When I bought my 98 in 06, the previous owner had gone to the fast/quick lube places and they had pulled the splash guard back just as pictured to get to the filter. Wasn't long before it was flapping in the breeze, hitting the tire. Yea, it's a pain the a-- to get to and yes I have to pull the skid plate. But no more often than I have to change oil, it's worth it. I use the K&N filter with the nut on the end. Makes it a helluva lot easyier to get the damn thing off!

Attachments

#18 ·
take a look at my engine bay pics... the new air intake makes plenty of room to reach the oil filter. just use the right arm to pull the lower cooling hose aside a bit, and use the left arm/hand to reach the filter. easy as pie. just as the "other dude" said, "dont tighten too hard, just by hand and it comes off the same way".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.