Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I did alright for my first time towing with the truck. I was ready for some crappy gas mileage, but didn't think it was going to be as low as it was.... but I guess it should be expected after driving through the missouri hills on 44.

I drove w/ the A/C off the whole way because the hills slowed me down and I didn't want to lose all that power. So it was a hot drive. Got between 11 and 15 mpg. The 11 is from me giving up near the end and just trying to get home.

I'll post pics of the truck hooked up later when they're uploaded :) If ya'll want to see them.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
How heavy was the load? I am interested in the pics to see the shape of the trailer and how its lack of aerodynamics affected your towing.

Its hard to believe that there are lawn guys out there towing a trailer daily getting that mpg. But for an occasional tow, its not bad.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This past weekend, I rented a uhaul car dolly and towed 2 different cars. The first car was a 95' Mustang V6. I towed it about 70 miles, got 14.8 mpg driving the speed limit at 55mph.

The second car, was a 93 240sx convertible. I towed it 240miles, and got 15.6 mph. I was going about 60 in a 70 mph zone. A bit fast for the trailer, but pulled without any issues or overheating.

My car is a 02' Frontier CC LB 4x4 SC.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
how much weight were you pulling, and how hot was it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I averaged about 11-12mpg doing 75mph to Columbia, MO and back from St. Louis area. Had a full 8x12 U-haul trailer while moving a friend. I didn't notice a huge difference between full and empty (the way back), so the aerodynamics play a huge part.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was pulling a 3000lb mustang plus a 500lb trailer. then used the same trailer to pull my 240sx which weighs around 2400lbs. It was about 95 degrees out.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The wind was pounding me the entire way, so towing the brick of a u-haul trailer is what sucked the gas down prolly. I didn't have any problems overheating and it drove like an arrow (didn't sway around). I towed the biggest single axle trailer they had, and it was loaded to the max. uphill I had to go about 60-65, but on flats I was 70-75

Oh, and it was hot beef. 90's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I pull a 21ft triton tr-21 bass boat with no problem. IN and out of the ramp Awesome with the LSD. Then Towing doing about 60 65 with the a/c on I usually get about 15mpg. I have an 01 sb cc v6. Now dont get me wrong unless im already hauling *** to pass someone from 40 sucks real bad and makes me wish i had a more powerful truck. But besides that no issues.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I know I can't complain either. It did haul like a champ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts