Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, got a question for anyone that can help. I am getting ready to get some new tires and was wanting to crank the t-bars so i could put 30's on it. I bought the truck from an old guy who bought it from some one younger when it had 30000 miles on it. So i pulled onto flat level surface and was just looking, taking measurements-- from the ground to the bottom of fender on front is 31 1/2 inches, but from ground to bottom of fender on back is 30 1/2 inches. It is to my understanding that most trucks are lower on the front than the back ( i could be wrong haha) I checked the air in tires and they all have same pressure

so my questions are
1) do you think the first owner already cranked the t-bar?
2) if so how would i be able to tell how much was done?
3) what else would be the cause of height difference?
4) if anyone knows the height on their 99 2wd stock, could ya let me know?

thanks guys, really appreciate the help with this one

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
your leaf springs have sagged typical issue with an older truck

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Welcome man. I dont have a whole lot of knowledge about the 1st gens since I have a second gen, but I know someone will be able to help you out. To me it sounds like they might be cranked already. Maybe you could just look at the angle of the torsion bar or something. As for taking heights in measurents Im pretty sure that your truck compared to others, the heights can vary a lot so Im not sure how good its gonna help you, but its good to know. Cause there is differences in tire size, pressure, and the amount the suspension has settled in or weakend, etc. Im sure someone can help you so heres a free bump.

Again welcome to the club!!!

your leaf springs have sagged typical issue with an older truck
good point

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks to both of you- now another question haha- what kind of issues could that cause in the future? and are they worth replacing? i only drive a mile to work and back every day, and use it around the house for hauling things- hardly ever drive it further than 30 miles- its just a little beater that i am showing a little loe too- dont want to sink a lot of money in it if it wont be worth it or wont cause any trouble- again thanks for the replies and so quickly too

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
easy fix, drop the front to level it out and run a smaller tire.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
problem is i am 6'4" and was hoping to get a little lift and bigger tires- any other suggestions, cause i really dont want a smaller tire

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
never mind, i did some searching and found my answer to my last post- thanks irongrave and 5 speed, i appreciate it

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
so just to clarify. Your rear springs are probably pretty worn out and saggy. That tends to happen a lot on little trucks like this. But to check, how do your rear springs look from a quick visual are the still curved up or are they almost flat?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i havent checked it from that angle, i just happen to have a couple of minutes on my hands and tape measure, i will look at them tom and let yall know- my daughter broke my camera, but its supposed to be in tom. i will take some pics so yall can help me be sure that is what the problem is- i am lost when it comes to suspension and tires- i am hoping that the t-bars are already cranked so i can get the 31s with no rub issues. i thought about making this truck my play toy, but i think i am gonna find me an old 4x4 fronty for that, if i can find one fairly cheap

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
well i havent checked it from that angle, i just happen to have a couple of minutes on my hands and tape measure, i will look at them tom and let yall know- my daughter broke my camera, but its supposed to be in tom. i will take some pics so yall can help me be sure that is what the problem is- i am lost when it comes to suspension and tires- i am hoping that the t-bars are already cranked so i can get the 31s with no rub issues. i thought about making this truck my play toy, but i think i am gonna find me an old 4x4 fronty for that, if i can find one fairly cheap
yah you should be able to visually tell if the springs are flat or not. If the have a real good arch in them still then you might have the torsion bars cranked already. Other than that Im not too sure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
your situation sounds like mine. My rear is slightly lower than the front, about an inch, like yours. I thought it was my bushings, so I changed them with polyurathane bushings. It helped, but not there yet. From the looks of my truck, I doubt the Tbars were messed with. My next mod/addition will be Add A Leaf. Anyone have a good/cheap website to order from? Or, can I just add another leaf from a junkyard frontier leaf pack?

·
Registered
111 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts