Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am new to this forum, and new to frontiers. I have an 04 s/c frontier. Several of my friends with 03/04 cobras do intake, exhaust, pulley, and a tune and have great results. I figure the frontier should respond fairly well to these basics being as though it is the same style blower setup, but can not find anyone who sells a handheld, or piggyback tuner for these trucks. Everything seems to be for the 2nd gen. Any advice on what pulley and where to get a tune? I was looking around, and tried to use the search function, but didn't have much luck. I have read that I can go with a 2.3" pulley, and do not need a tune, but would like more info to back that up before I jump in. Thanks in advance everyone,

Lenny

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
You may want to contact JWT, JET and possibly SLR about tuning. If they don't do it, they may be able to direct you towards someone who will. As of today thou, there are no standard handhelds nor any end-user based cpu programs that will tune the 1st gen.

Others have used the 2.3" but just beware, it may over rev the blower and burn the needle bearings. This is why others have gone with the 2.4" instead.

I have to ask, how much are you willing to throw at your truck for these mods since it won't be cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You may want to contact JWT, JET and possibly SLR about tuning. If they don't do it, they may be able to direct you towards someone who will. As of today thou, there are no standard handhelds nor any end-user based cpu programs that will tune the 1st gen.

Others have used the 2.3" but just beware, it may over rev the blower and burn the needle bearings. This is why others have gone with the 2.4" instead.

I have to ask, how much are you willing to throw at your truck for these mods since it won't be cheap.
Want to keep it under 1000 for the pulley tune and intake which i think is feasable, otherwise I would go with a halteck system, but they are 1500 for just the EM alone. So the 2.4 pulley is a better way to go then? do 1st gen guys run these pulleys without a tune?

and just to make sure, JWT ( Jim wolfe Technologies), correct?

What is SLR?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I am not saying the 2.4 is better then the 2.3, but it is safer then the 2.3.

jwt is jim wolf tech.

You may want to see if there is a way to adapt an ecu from another vehicle (300zx) to work on your truck since I believe they have better tuning options.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not saying the 2.4 is better then the 2.3, but it is safer then the 2.3.

jwt is jim wolf tech.

You may want to see if there is a way to adapt an ecu from another vehicle (300zx) to work on your truck since I believe they have better tuning options.

I understand. I did some more research and it seems that rpm limit for the m62 is 14000rpm, and the 2.4" is as small as one can go without over-spinning the blower.

I want something that is close to plug and play. It's my DD. If it's something that I have to engineer, or rig, I don't want to do it.

I read an interesting article here:
Nissan Frontier Forums: S/C Pullies

And he mentions this:
Next Level Performance

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
It sounds as if a new SC is the way to go. The "G-box" sounds like a resistor in a box which is a SCAM.

How many miles are on your truck now? It may be time for a rebuild so it may be time to track down a 3rd gen or to see if a M90 can work instead of the oem M62.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've been looking into tuning these trucks for a while now and the best and most cost effective solution i have come up with is to run a megasquirt in parallel with the factory ecu

there is no easy of bolt on way to tune these trucks. even burning new proms isnt really an option seeing as nobody has even taken the code to find where the fuel tables and ingition maps are. I was going to work on doing that but a megasquirt in parallel is a far smaller headache.

·
Registered
170 Posts
megasquirt in paralell would give you COMPLETE control over everything drive train related, and the stock ecu would still give you obd2 and all the stock gauges and such.

·
Registered
170 Posts
there are a bunch of xterra and frontier guys running the 2.3 and 2.4.
2.3 will definitely shorten the blowers life if you dont have a way of cooling it as the extra heat will kill the bearings much faster that just the overrevving of the blower

1 - 11 of 11 Posts