Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done it? Can or should it be done? Would it be worth it?

How would one go about heading on such an endeavor? Go to a local shop and ask for pricing on a custom setup?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I built this for mine, a little to aggressive for me, but none the less it works great and with some more dollars I could have gone out the back and it would have been tits.

It cost me a little over 350 to get to this point, and in the end I am trying to sell it, but only because it was a little to loud exiting under the bed for me.
Have fun.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. I saw your thread when I tried to search for 1st gen dual exhaust on here. Thanks anyways though.

I guess I'll just go talk to an exhaust shop and see what they can do for me.

IF it would be worth it... Would it be?

What are the kind of gains vs. just getting an ordinary aftermarket cat back system? I assume it's mainly just another way to let it all breath easier, thus creating more horses.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah. I saw your thread when I tried to search for 1st gen dual exhaust on here. Thanks anyways though.

I guess I'll just go talk to an exhaust shop and see what they can do for me.

IF it would be worth it... Would it be?

What are the kind of gains vs. just getting an ordinary aftermarket cat back system? I assume it's mainly just another way to let it all breath easier, thus creating more horses.
A dual exhaust that utilizes an x pipe has an advantage scavaging - now whether or not that power is realized by your *** dyno is anyones guess. The question is really - do you want a dual exhaust or not? It seems that there are plenty of single exhausts on the market for reasonble prices.... In my lengthy experience as a high performance fabricator and owner/operator, I always utilize an x pipe and a pipe per cylinder bank. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A dual exhaust that utilizes an x pipe has an advantage scavaging - now whether or not that power is realized by your *** dyno is anyones guess. The question is really - do you want a dual exhaust or not? It seems that there are plenty of single exhausts on the market for reasonble prices.... In my lengthy experience as a high performance fabricator and owner/operator, I always utilize an x pipe and a pipe per cylinder bank. Good luck with your choice.
What's scavaging?

I think that the dual exhaust looks cool, but I would be doing it for performance gains. If the gains are minimal at best, then I'll probably just go with a single exhaust.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Spare tire is in the way to go straight out the back, Gas tank and and spare cause tight bends trying to take a pipe out the right side. So that leaves you running two pipes side out the left side. You can reach the same gains with a larger diameter single pipe

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm planning on putting my spare tire in the back anyways. I don't think the oversized one I just got will fit in the stock spot...

I'm going to be talking to a muffler shop about it soon.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
When I first got my truck, I wanted true duals, but there wasn't enough room between the spare and the frame or the gas tank I don't remember which now. Next time I have it in the air I will have to look. I have 265x55x17 stock tires and rims on it during the summer and that is the stock size, so the spare is that size. The interesting part is that it is a 26" diameter tire, so if anything I should have more room. I will have to get under there and look.

·
Registered
475 Posts
dude try one of those dynaflow x mufflers or whatever. i was looking into one. its like an x-pipe in the muffler. pretty good idea. probably flows some good performance too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Searched for Dynaflow X Muffler, couldn't find it...

I'd really rather go with tried and true anyways.

Anyone know anything about Borla vs. Magnaflow? Which would give the most HP in the end?

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Borla was making exhausts for European sports cars 40 years ago :) Don't ask how I know :( They make a good exhaust.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Guess I set myself up for that one, I was installing Borla on my Healey Bug eye back then, and later on my Alpine Tiger. Then they were the best around, great sound and quality built. But I haven't used them since the late 60's early 70's.

god that makes me old.

·
Registered
475 Posts
so you're talkin 2 separate mufflers. sorry i got the name confused. its dynomax ultra flo x. but anyway are you gonna put in an x-pipe? i just figures this one would same some time, money, and give you the same hp. borla has been in it longer and they are more qualified for race power imo but you will probably pay more.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
borla is a better exhaust, after 3 years of use my magnaflow has surface rust like crazy, my dad has borla on his f150 and his pipes look almost brand new, after being on for 3 years as well, however you will pay for the borla, magnaflow is cheaper, i have no complaints with my magnaflow, i do however just have a single exit exhaust...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Alright. Sounds like I'm probably going to go with the Borla. I don't mind paying extra for quality. If I do, I'll have to go custom all the way.

So, what type/size of pipe do I need to ask for? Should I nix the secondary cats altogether, or should I get the high-flow cats? (Where I live, there is no concern of emissions testing.)

Alright. Sounds like I'm probably going to go with the Borla. I don't mind paying extra for quality. If I do, I'll have to go custom all the way.

So, what type/size of pipe do I need to ask for? Should I nix the secondary cats altogether, or should I get the high-flow cats? (Where I live, there is no concern of emissions testing.)

·
Registered
170 Posts

A good exhaust shop will recommend what size pipes to use. I vote knock out the secondary cats. put in high flow ones instead of the primaries. headers =D. should't even throw a CEL.

if I was building it i would run 2in pipes off each bank, y pipe into a 3in muffler and dump before the wheel out the drivers side. But thats just my personal opinion haha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts