Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 2002 supercharged automatic frontier and I don't know much about it and cant find really anything on its reliability, it has 132k miles and I just wanted to know how reliable they are and how many miles I can expect to get out of it and what I should look out for that will break. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
All depends on how the truck was maintained and driven. Also if rubber bushings are still original they probably need to be replaced. Also hard to predict what will fail/break and when. Did you buy it new or did you just buy it? You can send an oil sample to Blackstone labs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All depends on how the truck was maintained and driven. Also if rubber bushings are still original they probably need to be replaced. Also hard to predict what will fail/break and when. Did you buy it new or did you just buy it? You can send an oil sample to Blackstone labs.
I just bought it a week ago. If it was well maintained then how many miles will one usually see until a major repair like engine or transmission

·
Registered
None, yet
138 Posts
sc will require someone with sc to answer. if you want to know about the naturally aspirate engine and trans (same engine/trans, I believe, just different induction system), tons of people have over 200k and I personally know a guy who had over 500k on his first frontier and now has 385k on his current 01 model and neither had engine or transmission failure. his is not super charged though.

·
Registered
03 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 MT V6
28 Posts
I just sold my 03 2dr Frontier with 185k on it to my brother and bought a 4dr 03 Frontier with 235k on it because I'm more than happy with their reliability. Like someone else mentioned, the SC model might fair differently.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just picked up an 02 Frontier today (3.3 V6, non SC, 5-speed) with 183K on it. Needs some things done to it but seems to be a solid runner overall. I saw several for sale on Craigslist, FB Marketplace etc. with well over 200K and still plugging along which I take as a good sign.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
They are reliable, on the whole. VG engines are relatively solid in any configuration or displacement. Make sure you replace the timing belt when you're supposed to (every 105K miles and 6-7 years). Maintenance and how it was used are usually the keys. I have 210,000 miles on mine and have had it 4-years, buying it with 184,000 on it. I'm the 9th owner and I did have to take care of a number of leaks. I was going to be losing the shop I had worked in with a lift, so I went through it thoroughly and replaced a bunch of stuff so I wouldn't have to deal with it later: timing belt/tensioner/front seals/water pump/T-stat/drive belts/pulleys/hoses...rear shocks, trans/diff services/filters (installed K&N CAI), cap/rotor/wires/plugs/pcv, replaced fuel injectors with a set of reman injectors plus new regulator, entire power steering line & hose assembly from Nissan, tail light, cabin filter (never had one), air deflector, new front wheel bearings & races, adjusted ride hide to spec and aligned wheels. Still has original rear brake shoes about 2/3 worn. Later, I replaced both headlamps, installed fog lamps, battery, an upper control arm and tires. Still need to replace a lower ball joint and figure out a small, parasitic draw. Sounds like a lot, but my labor is free and I can't leave things on my vehicles alone, even though I only purchased it as a back-up to my Pathfinder and concessional runs to the dump or lumber store. I checked the CARFAX when I got it and seems like all that was done before me was oil changes, a radiator, three control arms and front shocks. I didn't see anything about engine or trans replacement and they appear to be original, since all of the harness clips are intact and not broken and everything seems like the original factory routing.
Worse thing about it is the gas mileage and it drinks premium fuel, but I knew that when I bought it.

·
Registered
None, yet
138 Posts
holy crap!!! 9th owner? dang, that sounds so odd but I wonder if it really is with the age of the trucks? I know I am the third on mine but I feel that is weird because its an 01, I figured there would have been more owners

·
Registered
18 Posts
At 132k miles, the timing belt should've been done already, make sure it was if you can check records. If not I'd prioritize that and do the other maintenance things that are easier to do together with the timing belt as was suggested by others here. Consider the coolant bypass hose as well, not technically part of the timing belt maintenance, but would be easier to take care of while stuff's out (just found a leak on mine recently). An OBD2 reader might also show a knock sensor code that doesn't light up the check engine light, but it impacts engine performance and gas mileage some. I relocated mine (bought new and installed in different place) to take care of the code and it helped. Mine also had cracked exhaust manifolds when I got it, caused some noise and probably some engine performance so I had them changed, but previous owner wasn't bothered by them. Most recent fix I'm in the middle of is replacing bearings on my distributor. I have a 2003 SC with 212+k miles, engine and transmission are still strong and reliable. Most of the other maintenance stuff I try to DIY using youtube, forums, and service manuals but weren't too bad when I had to bring it to the shop.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
holy crap!!! 9th owner? dang, that sounds so odd but I wonder if it really is with the age of the trucks? I know I am the third on mine but I feel that is weird because its an 01, I figured there would have been more owners
Yeah, I thought it was kind of odd when I saw the CARFAX. Prior to me, the longest anyone owned it was 3-years. It was a private sale and I think the guy I bought it from got tired of dumping money into it the short time he had it. He had a Merchant Tire do tires, front shocks, three control arms and alignment and it still pulled to the right. He was asking $7500 for it (four years ago). I looked at it and saw the body and frame were relatively rust free and the engine and trans worked okay and I figured anything else I could fix. He didn't know when the timing belt was done, which was fine because I was going to replace it, anyway. I told him I didn't want to insult him, but with what I had to do with it if I bought it, it didn't make sense for me to spend more than $5000. I told him if he wanted to wait to see if he got any better offers, that was fine. I left and got about 30-minutes down the road and he called me up and said it's mine if I still wanted it. It's good for what I was looking for. I still do 90% of my driving in my 06 Pathfinder. I put 26,000 miles on the Frontier in the 4-years I've owned it.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
three control arms? did you see anything that would cause that? that's odd
Probably had bad ball joints and the shop decided to go with aftermarket control arms, I would suspect. The problem was that when they installed the left-side upper arm, they didn't have the eccentric washers within it's retainer, rather on top of the edge. The wheel bearings also had too much play in them and the lower shock bolt on the right-front shock absorber was three inches too long and a smaller diameter that the original bolt. They had apparently stripped the bolt into the fixed nut when they tried to put it in and that was their fix. I just got a new bolt from Nissan and re-chased the threads in the nut and all was good. Sometimes I just SMH!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts