Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 xe crewcab and I really dont care for the grey plastic front bumper and the headlights a whole lot. I was wondering if anyone has atempted replacing the front with another kind, maybe one from a pathfinder or xterra of the same years? i did search the exterior section but i didnt see much from 1st gen owners at all.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
770 Posts
if you find one be sure to post some pics and info, I dont mind the head lights, but would agree the plastic front bumper takes a beating

·
Registered
297 Posts
You can do a 1998-2000 Front end swap, they're pretty popularly done with minitrucks.

Here is a 2004 frontier with the swap almost complete. Only thing left to do is the headlights and grill.

And here is an actual 99' frontier, but if you did the swap correctly yours could look like this.

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
I heard there was a guy that did an Xterra swap and called his truck a fronterra. It was pretty bithcen.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I heard there was a guy that did an Xterra swap and called his truck a fronterra. It was pretty bithcen.
That does look pretty *****in', Frijolero.

Funny.. You "heard there was a guy"...

I've considered doing it as well, but I think I like the top half of the front of my truck.. However, I can hardly wait to get a bada$$ pre-runner-ish bumper on my lower half!!!! And, a rear bumper....

·
Registered
297 Posts
Frijolero, not trying to be rude or anything, but that looks like it fits really bad. Especially in the fenders. Is it because of the fiberglass fenders or was it not fully on or what? :confused:

If it fit better that would look bada$$ though.

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
The X bumper valance was put on there to give a guy an idea of what his X would look like with a bumper similar to that and keeping the bumper valance. He was going for this look:

That bumper valance was on there for about an hour and I cut my front bumper off too and I am redoing it with 1.75" DOM as opposed 1.50 mild. That picture is about a year old.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the replys. I didnt really want to go for the earlier frontier look. from the looks of it, ill have to replace fenders, hood and everything forward of that for any conversion. I was thinking more pathfinder. is the pathfinder and xtera on the same platform? would the pathfinder fenders and hood line up too?

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
thanks for all the replys. I didnt really want to go for the earlier frontier look. from the looks of it, ill have to replace fenders, hood and everything forward of that for any conversion. I was thinking more pathfinder. is the pathfinder and xtera on the same platform? would the pathfinder fenders and hood line up too?
1st generation Frontier and Xterra is on the same platform, the Pathfinder is not and the body lines are also very different. A pathfinder swap is definitely possible if your willing to invest enough time and money as it will involve some extensive body work. Also for the Xterra or earlier frontier conversion, yes you will have to do everything from the doors forward but it is mostly a remove and install job.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think i saw an early frontier in minitruckin mag once that had xterra headlights and hood(maybe the grill?) with the chrome frontier bumper. will the exterra cornerlights line up with early frontier fenders?

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
I remember seen it too, that one was a 99 I believe and he cut his hood to fit the headlights and did just headlight and grille swap. Any 1st gen Xterra headlights line up with early 1st gen Frontier fenders with no issues. For the 02-04 X headlights you will need the 02-04 Xterra hoood. Also the early frontier and xterra bumper is direct fit on your truck but when combining the Xterra grille with early frontier fenders you will need to do a very small amount of trimming on the grille or front bottom edge of the fender. Also, there are no X or early frontier front end parts that combine with 01-04 frontier front end body parts.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
you know what... i think someone else did an xterra front grill swap as well

idk what his name is tho, anyone know?

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
You mean the bumper that's hardly a bumper and mostly a skid plate? I made that. It was kind of hacked so I cut it off and made a new one when I got my new bender. I'll be posting CAD drawings of it on here: http://www.HOGFAB.com/ when my buddy is done building the site for me.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
your options are stick with frontier or xterra parts. both of which fit fine, but take a little work to fit properly if you are swapping.

pathfinder and qx4 are wider, so they wont work without some sectioning and major modding in general.

you might want to consider a painted bumper or some aftermarket armor if you dislike the grey plastic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
your options are stick with frontier or xterra parts. both of which fit fine, but take a little work to fit properly if you are swapping.

pathfinder and qx4 are wider, so they wont work without some sectioning and major modding in general.

you might want to consider a painted bumper or some aftermarket armor if you dislike the grey plastic.
how much wider are we talking? I have seen people cut about 7in or so off of a ford explorer and section it to a ranger. I was hoping that may be the case for pathfinder or qx4. i really like the later qx4 front end. I may just do an xterra front. if its a huge project.

thank you all for all of your input. it has given me alot to think about. i just may have to measure a pathfinder to see.

have any of you swapped in leather seats. or will that also require cutting brackets and all that fun fab work?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts