Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm a proud owner of my first Nissan vehicle, and a new member to this forum.

I've been looking at this truck for days now and I've started looking around for forums to get some quick info about the frontier. I found the nissanforums.com site a couple days ago, but I haven't found this one till today, whoops! Anyway, I'm here to learn more about my truck, make a few friends (possibly some in my area? Western New York), and possibly buy and sell some stuff to make my truck, well, more as my own truck.

A little about myself I suppose: I just turned 22, and I've been thru 6 Ford Rangers in the past 6 years of my driving life, and I'm tired of them so I came to try out a Nissan. I'm a drafter at a company in the small city I live in. I like turning wrenches on my spare time and taking up some trail riding with my trucks, nothing abusive however.

I have a 1999 Nissan Frontier with the off-road package. Its got the 3.3 V6 with a 5 speed. There are a few things I want to look into with this truck. 1 is the leaf springs in the back, I have 4 on the passenger side and 3 leaf springs in the driver side. The truck still sits level though. And the good ole knock sensor is setting off a code, so I want to replace that in the near future.

And THIS is what I used to drive, this is after the accident of course. I did this back in December, before it snowed. The snow started falling the night after the accident and covered the car of course:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welcome to the forum...but this is kind of freaky.

I'm moving to Olean, NY next summer as my wife has a contract in place to begin working for Olean General once she finishes her training.

I have an off road package Frontier and I'm a drafter.

Well, I'm an unemployed drafter at the moment thanks to layoffs in Feb.

Who do you work for...and do you think you could get me a job there? ;)

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Good looking truck and great choice with the nissan. I don't think you will be dissapointed. I think I have read a few places that the knock sensor will not throw a code but if something else throws one, it will show up when you get it scanned. Someone correct me if this isn't true, but you may have something else that is throwing that code.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome to the club, might I ask what you use to drive that was wrecked?
Thank you! I like these forums so far. There seems to be more members here then other Nissan forums.

That used to be a 2007 Cobalt SS, now its a pile of junk. I rolled that car 4 or 5 times and luckily I was wearing my seat belt, I walked away from that accident with a couple minor bruises.

Welcome to the forum...but this is kind of freaky.

I'm moving to Olean, NY next summer as my wife has a contract in place to begin working for Olean General once she finishes her training.

I have an off road package Frontier and I'm a drafter.

Well, I'm an unemployed drafter at the moment thanks to layoffs in Feb.

Who do you work for...and do you think you could get me a job there? ;)
Hello Type_RS, thanks for the welcome!

That's cool that I have fellow drafter friends on a truck forum :)

Congrats to your wife on her new job. Sorry to hear you got laid off, that's no fun for anyone. Where did you work previously? I work for Dresser-Rand right here in Olean. We aren't hiring right now, the slowing economy has finally caught up to us, and they just cut off all OT thru-out the whole campus :( But they are expecting it to start getting busy again. There is a tile factory here in Olean, they have a lot of College students going back to college soon. I know one of the guys there and he said they are busy and worried about keeping up with the work. If no drafting positions open, there is alwaysan opening there I guess. If there is a "friend" list thru the forum I'll add you so I don't lose track of who you are. I can always keep in touch once I know there is an opening for a drafter here.

Good looking truck and great choice with the nissan. I don't think you will be dissapointed. I think I have read a few places that the knock sensor will not throw a code but if something else throws one, it will show up when you get it scanned. Someone correct me if this isn't true, but you may have something else that is throwing that code.

As a matter of fact you are correct. Somethign else thru the check engine light on, and when we scanned it we saw the knock sensor code. So I planned on replacing it anyway.

A few months ago I hooked my brother up with a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder, same 3.3 V-6 and he has loved it. I came across thsi truck and figured I'd pick it up since his pathfinder has run so well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hello Type_RS, thanks for the welcome!

That's cool that I have fellow drafter friends on a truck forum :)

Congrats to your wife on her new job. Sorry to hear you got laid off, that's no fun for anyone. Where did you work previously? I work for Dresser-Rand right here in Olean. We aren't hiring right now, the slowing economy has finally caught up to us, and they just cut off all OT thru-out the whole campus :( But they are expecting it to start getting busy again. There is a tile factory here in Olean, they have a lot of College students going back to college soon. I know one of the guys there and he said they are busy and worried about keeping up with the work. If no drafting positions open, there is alwaysan opening there I guess. If there is a "friend" list thru the forum I'll add you so I don't lose track of who you are. I can always keep in touch once I know there is an opening for a drafter here.
Thanks, man.

Actually, the manager of the office my wife is going to work for is friends with somebody in HR at Dresser-Rand, so they already have my resume! I know they are under a hiring freeze right now but they expected it to be lifted within a year which would be good timing.

I'm not sure about the friend list thing but I'll look into it.

Now, it's your job to find any local off road parks or trails so you can show me when I get there! Haha.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
As a matter of fact you are correct. Somethign else thru the check engine light on, and when we scanned it we saw the knock sensor code. So I planned on replacing it anyway.
Ahh, I gotcha. Good luck with the fronty. You will find plenty of ways here to make it "your own". Just make sure your wallet is ready before you start modding. If you catch the mod bug, you will be stuck with it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's good to see you survived that crash, the Frontier is probably a little bit of a set back in comfort though.
Its a slight set back that I'm willing to make. Its not as bad as my girl friends Mercury Cougar, that thing kills my back after sitting in it for more then half an hour.

Thanks, man.

Actually, the manager of the office my wife is going to work for is friends with somebody in HR at Dresser-Rand, so they already have my resume! I know they are under a hiring freeze right now but they expected it to be lifted within a year which would be good timing.

I'm not sure about the friend list thing but I'll look into it.

Now, it's your job to find any local off road parks or trails so you can show me when I get there! Haha.
Well that's cool, and if you ened a reference I'll be available if that helps you get in when the freeze is lifted.

I know of a small trail right here in Olean that will bring a little mud after a good rain. There is a place about 2 hours from Olean that has an awesome piece of landed molded and shaped for off-roading fans. I'm working on finding more stuff. I'll PM you a link to the one place I'm talking about.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well that's cool, and if you ened a reference I'll be available if that helps you get in when the freeze is lifted.

I know of a small trail right here in Olean that will bring a little mud after a good rain. There is a place about 2 hours from Olean that has an awesome piece of landed molded and shaped for off-roading fans. I'm working on finding more stuff. I'll PM you a link to the one place I'm talking about.
Cool, thanks! I got your PM and I'm about to go check it out.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

i live like close to you

im in binghamton...

check out the site NEXterra.org

its a bunch of guys from new york and the north east.. its mostly xterra but frontiers are welcome too

·
Registered
354 Posts
dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

i live like close to you

im in binghamton...
Dude, that's like, 2 and a half hours from Olean!!!

Not too bad though. My best friend lives there and my in-laws are in Elmira so we'll probably be doing some back and forth.

Thanks, I'll check out that link too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am also a drafter (Land Surveyor). What type of drafting do you guys do?
I've done mechanical, civil/surveying, and architectural/structural throughout the course of my career.

I've worked in small offices, big offices, cubicals (Office Space is so true!!!), from home and in the field.

I'd prefer doing mech. drafting from home, but I'd be willing to take what I can get in this economy.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
ouch glad you made it out of that cobalt ok and welcome to the club! them ss cobalts are pretty nice cars, i drove the new turbo ss cobalt when i worked at our local chevy dealer and dang them little things are quick! i bet the speed and "fun to drive" factor is out the window with the frontier but they are nice little trucks and while the 3.3 isn't a power house or the most fuel efficent engine they last forever, and yes i do have fun driving mine.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
These don't compare in speed to a cobalt, but that's a good thing I suppose. I wouldn't mind the power of a 5.7 Liter Hemi, but I'm happy with the the power the frontier makes, its much better then my old ranger. I just want something that will last me as long as possible, and so far this seems to be the truck.

As of right now the check engine light came on and we had a P0440 and a P0325 code 2 days ago, when I bought it from the dealership. He needed more miles on it so he let me drive it so the computer would reset. It was missing a gas cap so we replaced that, thinking the P0440 came from that missing. The knock sensor wouldn't throw a check engine light, so here we go back to the dealer again to see what it is now. Maybe the exhaust did it... Seems my exhaust is broke.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts