Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 2.4 2WD Brake and Battery (symbol) light comes on at times. They come on at the same time, stay on for a while then go off. Checked brakes they are not new but ok, new battery. Wonder if a relay might be causing it?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
It's more likely a bad alternator. When the brake warning light and charging system warning light both come on, it is an indication of a charging system issue. Check your battery cable connections to be sure they are clean and tight. Check your charging system voltage, with loads "off" and loads "on," at idle and at 3000 RPM. Most Nissans will charge around 14.7 volts, but 13.2-15.0 volts is acceptable. It wouldn't hurt to have the battery tested, as well. Make sure you check the white, 10-gauge wire that runs to the "BAT" terminal on back of the alternator; they have a tendency to corrode or burn up due to excessive resistance within it. It provides the battery voltage to the alternator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, lights are on full time now and battery only showing 12.19 volts at idle. I'll check the wire from battery to alternator. Thank you very much.

I've only had the truck for about a month and have had a lot of problems. Has 126,000 miles and everything I read before buying said they are great trucks, having doubts now. But I reckon an alternator is not going to last form ever, just tired of working on the dang thing. Looks like its going to be a bear to get the alternator off.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
If you have to replace the alternator, I highly recommend a genuine Nissan reman unit. Aftermarket alternator remans are always a gamble on Nissans.

·
Registered
169 Posts
At any of the online Nissan parts stores, like this one. The four cylinder alternator is pretty easy to R&R. You could save a hundred bucks by getting a free lifetime replacement aftermarket like this one but as SMJ says they're a gamble. Expect to swap it out under warranty at some point.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
One aftermarket option I would consider is Hitachi, as they are the OE alternator supplier to Nissan. You can get a Hitachi reman @ Rockauto.com for around $160, but you'll have to send them back the core. They do offer discounted shipping labels for this, however.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
picked up reman alternator at local Parts City parts store for $121 (after returning core) and it had NISSAN stamped in the housing. Lights went out and showing 14 plus volts at idle. Looks like I good for now, time will tell. Thanks for your replies.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Having "Nissan" stamped on the housing doesn't make it a genuine Nissan reman. It just means that it was originally a Nissan alternator, as most aftermarket remanufactured Nissan alternators are, that has been remanufactured by "someone." A genuine Nissan reman would come in a Nissan parts box and sold through a Nissan dealer. At least it fixed your problem and hopefully will last a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts