Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. i am in need of help.

I was having random one click issues with starting so i did an online search and it seemed the starter switch may be the problem. Well i got the replacement and got excited to swap it out. In my haste i did not disconnect the battery as it seemed like an easy job. i connected the switch and then when i went to insert the cyclinder into the ignition i touched the metal housing and it made a shorting spark sound. Now i have NO POWER to anything. I checked the inline fuse in the engine compartment fuse box and it looked fine. I pulled all fuses and they look good. I eventually got tired of scratching my head so i went and bought/installed a new fuseable link for the main under the hood fusebox and that changed nothing.

Does anyone know what i may have caused to fail??? There is no power to anything!

on a side note. there was a splice in the old switch harness for an aftermarket? alarm. i dont see how that could cause the no power issue but??

thanks a bunch frontier owners. this is my primary mode of transportation and i thought i could handle a simple job. now i killed my truck....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for helping me out. i really need and appreciate it!

this is a brand new battery. just checked the headlights and they work. i will check the horn in the morning lol.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
4,802 Posts
Hi, thanks for helping me out. i really need and appreciate it!

this is a brand new battery. just checked the headlights and they work. i will check the horn in the morning lol.
No need to check the horn because we at least now know that the "no power to anything" is incorrect since your headlights work.

I think it's a blown fuse or fusible link because of your visible fuse inspection testing method.
Test fuse continuity with a DMM for accuracy. Fuses look good should never be the method for fuse continuity testing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what other fusible links are there? i replaced the 80amp in engine area fuse box. is there another?

is there a fuse i should be targeting? i tried shuffling/swapping lots of the fuses to see if any related to ignition/power ect fuses may gave appeared good but were not. nothing i tried made a difference. are there other fuses/fusible links im not seeing?

thank you butterman

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nothing happens. There are no lights on the dash and there is no power it seems to anything other than the headlights? I haven’t tried the horn yet. And the radio has never worked since I got it so I planned on replacing it at some point. Everything used to work fine I put the key in turn it and it would start and sometimes it would click and not start so I looked it up and it appear to be the ignition switch. I accidentally hit some of those hot contacts against the metal steering wheel casing And it made a sparking sound and then nothing has worked cents. I put a new fusible 80 amp link in and that did nothing and I’ve tried swapping out fuses but nothing has made the dash come back on is there Another fusible link between the inside cab fuse box somewhere?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It had two mounting hex heads. 8 mm and 10 mm.

When I put the old ignition switch back in it’s still does not power the dash up or change anything about the no power situation. It’s like I shorted something or popped something when I touch the ignition switch exposed soldering points to the metal steering wheel housing.

Is there more than one fusible link for the 1998 Nissan frontier king cab xe 4cyl manual trans?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Welcome to Club Frontier....Sorry to hear about your Ignition / Start problems....

Is this the Ignition / Start switch you replaced?? This white electrical "switch" is connected on the opposite side to where you insert the key into the ignition switch on the steering column. This electrical part is what actually starts and runs your Frontier.

Tool Font Cable Bicycle handlebar Fashion accessory

Check the fuses located INSIDE you truck's passenger compartment. You should see a little plastic door below your dashboard to the left of your steering column. There are a bunch of fuses located behind that door. Is your truck manual transmission or automatic?? You'll have to check the Safety switch on the Clutch pedal for manual transmission & the Steering Column Shift / Transmission Safety Lock on the automatic. Also check your relays to make sure they are getting power to start your truck.

You might want to download a copy of the Nissan Factory Service Manual from any one of the attached weblinks to check the Ignition / Starting Circuit...

Anyhow, hope this helps.... Good Luck!!

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
In my haste i did not disconnect the battery as it seemed like an easy job.
Tough way to learn.....

Get a wiring diagram (online service manual) and check with digital voltmeter where the positive voltage is not present, but should be.

For the record: my own 1998 needed a new electrical part of ignition switch about a dozen years ago due to intermittent battery draining, and that fix went smoothly and still working.

Reactions: Lifted1

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Is there more than one fusible link for the 1998 Nissan frontier king cab xe 4cyl manual trans?
Yes.
Your underhood fuse box cover is labeled.
This pic is from my 04.
All fusible links are circled in red.
The one circled in green is for the ignition switch. This is my 04 cover. Your 98 might be different.
Font Electronic device Gadget Machine Audio equipment

The attached pdf is the Electrical System section of the 1998 FSM.
Start at pg 21.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you everyone

idlafie, yes, that is the switch i replaced. i had connected the plug and then when going to slide the cylinder into the ignition tumbler i accidentally touched a metal contact on the rotating switch end causing a short to happen. thank you for the manual links. i'm going to need them!

butterman, thank you sooooo much for this help. i have replaced the fuse that you circled in green. I do not have lights on the dash yet but i do hear a clicking noise now in the first 2 key positions when you turn the ignition. i can feel it while holding the inside cab fuse box also. Still no lights on the dash.

Do you know what fuse operates the dash lights? i have been swapping out all fuses in the cab fuse box and so far nothing has corrected the no dash light problem.

The starter also does not get power from the final turn of the ignition key. I have tried clutch switch and it doesnt make a difference either. it worked fine prior and makes no difference when clutch is al the way depressed and switch activated there is still nothing.

What fuse/fusible link operates the dash?

also, i have noticed the light for the passenger air bag now comes on with the first turn of the key. one step closer??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE / SOLVED!

butterman, you are the butterMAN!!

i think the fusible link you posted 2nd with the green circle did it!!

I made another dumbsheat mistake. When then 80amp fusible link did not fix the problem i pulled out the cab fuse box to examine the relays on the back. in doing so i did not notice that there is a wiring harness connection on the far left side(when facing) that connects the fusebox to the harness. When i pulled the fuse box out a bit to inspect it pulled that connection loose from the harness. Once i noticed it was not fully in/engaged, i reconnected it and.... Walah!!! it now works perfect again. everything seems to be functioning AND the one click problem is also solved.

THANK YOU BUTTERMAN!!!! and thank you to others for comments of encouragment and sharing of info and manuals

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
UPDATE / SOLVED!

butterman, you are the butterMAN!!

i think the fusible link you posted 2nd with the green circle did it!!

I made another dumbsheat mistake. When then 80amp fusible link did not fix the problem i pulled out the cab fuse box to examine the relays on the back. in doing so i did not notice that there is a wiring harness connection on the far left side(when facing) that connects the fusebox to the harness. When i pulled the fuse box out a bit to inspect it pulled that connection loose from the harness. Once i noticed it was not fully in/engaged, i reconnected it and.... Walah!!! it now works perfect again. everything seems to be functioning AND the one click problem is also solved.

THANK YOU BUTTERMAN!!!! and thank you to others for comments of encouragment and sharing of info and manuals
Glad you're up and running again.👍🤘
For future reference, if you're instrument cluster lighting ever fails to illuminate, it usually means your tail lamp fuse has blown.

The tail lamp fuse is in the underhood fuse box.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I highly recommend getting a DMM that has the continuity beep feature.
The red arrow in the attached pic is pointing to the "sound" symbol which means it has the continuity beep.
Really cheap DMM's don't have the beep.
By no means does it have to be a Fluke 115 like mine. It's rather expensive if you need a DMM to just check fuses.

But you'll be able to check fuses without taking your eyes off the probes and listening for the beep.

You'll fly through a fuse block checking each and every fuse in no time flat.
Measuring instrument Gas Electronic device Machine Technology

1 - 20 of 24 Posts