Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I bought a 98 Frontier with the airbag light on and thought I could run the codes and see what it is. Long story short the truck has been hit in the front with the previous owner. The airbag has been replaced on the steering wheel. I tried to run the checker and it would not turn on... Any ideas on that for starters? My big question is: does anyone have a wiring diagram for the airbag system? I found a two wire connector up front with nothing connected to it: Blue/Black and Blue/yellow I think off hand and was wondering if the PO didn't connect a sensor back. I wanted to get it inspected, but I'm sure I need the airbag light taken care of before I even bother to take it in. Any help would be great. THANKS!

Oh, I tried the reset trick, but mine doesn't start blinking at all and think it's a bigger issue.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello all,

I bought a 98 Frontier with the airbag light on and thought I could run the codes and see what it is. Long story short the truck has been hit in the front with the previous owner. The airbag has been replaced on the steering wheel. I tried to run the checker and it would not turn on... Any ideas on that for starters? My big question is: does anyone have a wiring diagram for the airbag system? I found a two wire connector up front with nothing connected to it: Blue/Black and Blue/yellow I think off hand and was wondering if the PO didn't connect a sensor back. I wanted to get it inspected, but I'm sure I need the airbag light taken care of before I even bother to take it in. Any help would be great. THANKS!

Oh, I tried the reset trick, but mine doesn't start blinking at all and think it's a bigger issue.
I found in my Durango, there is a part they called "a clock spring". When these start to go bad, the light will stay on. It is basically an impact sensor. They are not cheap. Hope it is not that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so I called the dealership and asked about a front airbag sensor and was told that there isn't one, that if I replace the airbag and need to reset the airbag light in diagnostic mode for years up to 98; 99 is when the sensors were used. I then found a 98 frontier at a local junk yard and took a look to see for myself. Sure enough the plug I was thought was a reservoir and it didn't have any other wiring up to the bumper. Could it be anywhere else? I went to hook up the odbII tool and it wouldn't turn on. Any ideas why it wouldn't? I hooked it up to another vehicle and it turned on right away so I don't think it's the tool.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update. I found a blown fuse, replaced it and found 4 errors, but nothing related to airbag. I cleared them and they haven't come back. maybe the airbag that was replaced is the issue?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Update. I found a blown fuse, replaced it and found 4 errors, but nothing related to airbag. I cleared them and they haven't come back. maybe the airbag that was replaced is the issue?
That is weird. I was hoping the Fronty is a lot like my Durango, but I guess not. Sometimes it is a good idea to take it to another mechanic for help. Between the 2 or more an answer might be found.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, next update. I found that not all scanners will show you airbag issues. Mine does not. I rented one at autozone, but found that theirs did ABS, but not airbag. I'm going to look around for one. I'll up date once I do.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I would pull the steering wheel cover off and see if there is even an airbag in there, as sometimes people dont replace them due to their high cost.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
The steering wheel cover is part of the air bag module, so don't peel it off! All ABS systems have one or more crash sensors, so I don't know why the dealer said there isn't one? There may not be a front crash sensor, but there will be one inside of the control unit, which is actually called the "air bag diagnostic sensor and control unit assembly." If the vehicle was in a crash, it'll set a permanent code in the control unit and will have to be replaced...or...reset by a company such as SafetyRestore.com. FYI, air bag harnesses will be yellow. As you found out, the OBD II code checkers used by most part stores typically only read "P-codes," for powertrain trouble codes; there are also "C-codes," for the chassis trouble codes, "B-codes" for the body control module codes and "U-codes" for CAN system codes. A more sophisticated code reader or scan tool is needed to read those codes in most cases. Also, the "clock spring," sometimes called a "spiral cable," is not an impact sensor. It is a module that contains a subharness of multiple circuits that connects all of those switches, the horn and audio controls, etc., between the steering wheel and the column harness.

Reactions: Cozz

·
Registered
156 Posts
Try the airbag light re-set procedure. It Works !

·
Registered
98 Posts
I believe that once that when an airbag deployment occurs, the airbag control module records the crash data in it's eprom chip in what is called a "hard code." A hard code means it's you can't clear the error with a scanner. It is designed not to be easy to reset. I don't even think dealers can reset the airbag module hard code.

You can buy a new air bag module (400.00 and up) and have a dealer program it for your vehicle - or send the module out to be reset. If you got a good one from a junk yard, it would still have to be programmed by a dealer. You might have trouble getting a dealer to do that with a used module.

Resetting an airbag module usually involves connecting specialized chip programming equipment to erase the eprom chip on the airbag module electronics board.

I think your most cost effective solution would be to remove the module and send it out to be reset. There are several companies that do it. Check out this video from youtube.

and check out this link
$49 SRS Airbag Module Reset Service After Accident

You can google "airbag module reset" also.

If you disconnect anything related to the airbag system, disconnect the battery first, then wait 10 minutes or more before working on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts