Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
NICO Club has been legitimately publishing Nissan FSMs for free for several years, at least until Nissan issued a Cease and Desist the other year because random sites like the two referenced above scrub other sites for PDFs and blatantly post them as their own.

We're lucky that Nissan and NICO cleared up the situation and continue to provide all Nissan owners an incredibly valuable resource in the FSMs. Support a site that's actually dedicated to helping Nissan owners: https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yeah! Nissan fixed that problem all right, they totally quit making service manuals for the public. 2016 is the last MY that has a publicly viewable FSM. They don't want YOU fixing your own vehicle and are not going to help you in any way. They are trying to force you to use a professional mechanic. Thanks Nissan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hold up.

First, Nissan has never made their service manuals publicly available. No automotive manufacturer publishes their service manuals, at least not for free (some allow pay-for-access). NICO bought them and worked with Nissan to provide them freely to the public, even implementing copyright protection features in the PDFs to track down scrubbing sites and other infringers. NICO provides them for practically every Nissan model and year for the last three decades, for free, and you're whining because FSMs aren't available for 2017+ models? Dude, get real. That’s one hell of an offering at any level, especially since I paid $200 for a paperback FSM and another $100 for a parts microfiche catalog in 2000 for my 98 Frontier because that information didn't even exist online. Maybe part of Nico's arrangement is to not offer FSMs from the last 5 years, so maybe one day they'll get published. Until then, you could be just like every other useful Nissan DIYer and find a suitable MY FSM to get the job done, since the Frontier hasn't change in...15 years. If you can't or won't turn a wrench, with or without a service manual, you're a prime candidate for taking it to the dealer.

Second, Nissan wants you take your car to their dealers just like every other manufacturer. That's nothing new; I don’t understand your gripe for a moment. You haven’t noticed that cars have gotten more complicated to work on over the last few decades? You think it’s on accident? It's either completely deliberate, or automotive engineers are idiots. If Nissan wanted you to put a suspension lift on their truck, they wouldn't have made it easier to cut UCA bolts off than to remove them normally like every other alignment bolt in the history of the world. It's also the reason lousy aftermarket companies want to sell you a $15 bolt kit for $50-$80...because enough owners seem to think it's a bargain, and a fair price to DIY it.

If you really think Nissan's the enemy here, you need to work on other makes. Like a 2006 VW Touareg with an intake valve spring that grenaded and allowed a valve to strike a piston and stick open. A $10 part that requires removing the entire engine and transaxle from the bottom of the car because the engine has a rear timing chain...a $4K+ repair job! The same vehicle has the battery installed under driver's seat...a dead battery fully obstructed by a power seat that also blocks access to uncommon 12-pt ("triple square") internal star bolts. The car needs a jumper battery to move the seat to access the bolts, at which point the seat can be tilted back because there are literally hinges on the rear seat mounts to access the battery. Ever spent an hour changing a car battery? Yeah, me neither, until that day.

Or a 2011 Honda Accord with broken front wheel studs that, instead of costing $1.50 per stud and a few minutes punching them out of the hub through a notch in the spindle (or by removing the hub from the vehicle as more common on Nissans), requires use of a dealer-only $4K speciality hub tool to impact-out the CV from the hub to remove it off the spindle...a $1K, multi-hour repair job to change wheel studs! It's cheaper to replace the entire suspension, hub, and CV!

Or a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser that requires removal of steering components to change suspension components, or requires removal of the A/C compressor (and thus, discharging the A/C) to access the lower coolant hoses (two of them, with a coupler directly behind the A/C bracket); and also removal of all those items to change a passenger side motor mount. Or removal of an engine oil pan that's still obstructed by a steering drag link and sway bar, even still after installing 4" of suspension lift.

These are real horror stories from my personal garage, and just from the past couple years. VWs, Hondas, and Toyotas are banned from my garage; I won't touch them. The FJ80 is sweet now, but it's still not allowed in the garage ever again. Those are not DIY-friendly makes. Even I want you to take those to the dealer. You think there are free FSMs available for those makes? Good luck with that.

I own two Nissan trucks, have worked on various other Nissans in the past (without access to FSMs), and continue to work on their trucks and SUVs. I've never had BS problems on them like the above. Having access to those FSMs is probably one of the best things about being a Nissan owner/wrencher. Take advantage of still having access to them and support a site that's actually supporting owners.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Wholly Shite, what a rant. I do use the 2016(last year nissan issued) for my 2017. But tell me what do the guys who have purchased a 2020-2022 W/3.8 9speed do for tech data. Please use your genius like insight for their benefit as nissan is leaving them out in the cold with nothing but the dealer network for Maint data.

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
621 Posts
Wholly Shite, what a rant. I do use the 2016(last year nissan issued) for my 2017. But tell me what do the guys who have purchased a 2020-2022 W/3.8 9speed do for tech data. Please use your genius like insight for their benefit as nissan is leaving them out in the cold with nothing but the dealer network for Maint data.
That, and that alone, is why I'm super glad I got a 2019 (or 18? not currently sure, it was built in august/2018, so would that make it one of the first 19's?) Though to be honest I knew nothing about the Free FSM's when I purchased, but I was always planning on getting my hands on it even if it cost me upwards of $500. Knowing is 3/4th of the battle.

For Nissan's' sake I actually hope that the new 3.8 and 9 speed actually last a long time, Renault just posted an 8 billion dollar loss (you did not miss read that). The future of the Nissan alliance looks more and more uncertain with each passing month.

As to the rant by @Hawairish I think that is a pretty good read, yes there's a lot he mentioned but it is good info.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The BLUF (bottom line up front):
Support non-pirated access to invaluable Nissan FSMs—the official Factory Service Manuals used by Nissan mechanics—is generously provided freely by NICO, with consent by Nissan, for numerous Nissan, Infiniti, and Datsun models and years (but not yet 2017-up) by visiting:

For the FSMs not posted at NICO, you can buy them directly from Nissan at https://www.nissan-techinfo.com.

My initial response on this topic was to encourage members to use FSMs that NICO provides freely. Some owners know they exist, but many do not. Other sites that publish them are likely pirating them. Put another way: if you're accessing those guides at those sites, you're possibly contributing to a piracy problem that may (again) cause Nissan owners to lose access to them, and possibly permanently. Please, don't use them. Nissan previously blocked NICO from publishing FSMs back in 2018, and it rippled to every Nissan forum community...except maybe those Leaf owners, because I think we can agree those guys aren't working on their cars...am I right? Fortunately, things got sorted out. I rely on FSMs for repairs and project research regularly, so I'm a full advocate of NICO's efforts to keep these available.

The following is mainly in reply to @bajasam. No intentions to stir the pot, but I disagree with his replies.

Yeah! Nissan fixed that problem all right, they totally quit making service manuals for the public. 2016 is the last MY that has a publicly viewable FSM. They don't want YOU fixing your own vehicle and are not going to help you in any way. They are trying to force you to use a professional mechanic. Thanks Nissan
You say "rant," but then you put out speculative statements and complaints that not enough free Nissan FSMs exist, and then blame Nissan for it. You've sidetracked this conversation because you don't have access to the FSM for your truck and are using new owners as victims. You've asked for my response, so I'll give it.

Neither Nissan nor NICO owe you, or anyone, access to FSMs. Nissan and NICO are not affiliated.

FSMs are Nissan's proprietary information intended to be used by Nissan mechanics at Nissan dealerships, or related professionals; they are not intended for everyday Nissan owners. Crappy Chilton/Haynes manuals are intended for everyday Nissan owners. You're missing the point that NICO is providing all of us an incredible resource for free. Take advantage if you can, improvise if you can't.

You are complaining because NICO has not published MY17+ FSMs, ignoring that they provide FSMs for Datsun, Nissan, and Infiniti vehicles from the prior 50+ years. Granted, it's not a complete catalog, but it's amazingly comprehensive. Where have you seen a similar site? Have you noticed that many older FSMs were scanned in? Imagine the effort required to obtain and scan a genuine Nissan FSM for an early 1960's Datsun 320 Pickup (which they have). It takes time and effort to legitimately acquire that data, as well as host it, even if newer FSMs are already in digital format. It's also plausible that Nissan doesn't want NICO to buy new FSMs and then immediately dump it on the internet for free, and perhaps that's an arrangement they've agreed upon.

Let's be clear: NICO publishes FSMS for FREE. Nissan SELLS FSMs from MY89 through MY21 as of today.

Obviously, the context of this thread is free FSMs at NICO vs. questionable sites. As I mentioned earlier, some manufacturers offer pay-for-access manuals. Nissan is one of them. Through their technical website (https://www.nissan-techinfo.com) you can buy a digital copy of a 2017 or 2021 Frontier FSM for $210/ea, or one of several subscription options, whether for one day ($20) or one year ($720) for access to every FSM and tech bulletin they have since 1989. Clearly, since Nissan provides fee-based access, it's likely why NICO doesn't (or can't) immediately post newer FSMs.

Does Nissan and/or NICO owe FSMs to new owners so they can immediately start tampering with their complex 3.8L engines and 9-speed transmissions, and then should Nissan still honor a warranty after repairs have been performed by a non-certified "Nissan" tech? Of course not. You're also assuming that owners need repair instructions, specifications, and diagnostic procedures for a new truck...but worse: you're suggesting they're entitled to it. I disagree with that. Somewhat besides the point here, but a new truck should only require regular maintenance and will have issues covered by a warranty. There's little reason to repair or diagnose your truck while it's still under warranty.

As genius-elect by the Committee-of-bajasam, my first official insight is that Nissan is not mistreating their newest owners by NICO not publishing newer FSMs for them, and Nissan insists that owners bring their cars and trucks back to them for all service issues on vehicles because they're the experts. My "rant" was to convince you that all manufactures behave this way and have designed vehicles in a manner so that shadetree mechanics can't always repair them (and I hate those manufacturers for it), and even if there is an enthusiast channels to provide FSMs (legitimately or not, free or not), they may not even help much unless you have access to specialty equipment. It may have seemed long-winded, but I wanted to be clear this isn't isolated behavior, at least not based on my experience (whatever that's worth here).

My second official insight is that new owners who want an FSM that NICO hasn't publish should pony-up and buy the FSM or a subscription directly from Nissan.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Well my apologies, as you seem to be correct in that nissan will sell me a new FSM from the site you listed. I had based my information on a Nico discussion thread that was apparently wrong regarding the end of FSM availability from nissan. I admit I didnt read the rest of your book as you seem to be quite lengthy and long winded for my taste, but I do thank you for the correct info, and almost feel guilty for chastising poor nissan now. You've won the conquest, good job.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well my apologies, as you seem to be correct in that nissan will sell me a new FSM from the site you listed. I had based my information on a Nico discussion thread that was apparently wrong regarding the end of FSM availability from nissan. I admit I didnt read the rest of your book as you seem to be quite lengthy and long winded for my taste, but I do thank you for the correct info, and almost feel guilty for chastising poor nissan now. You've won the conquest, good job.
This wasn't about winning or correctness; it was about accuracy. Priority one is to spread accurate, useful, and on-topic information to fellow owners. I'm glad you're able to reorient your opinion based on what I provided. I'm not glad it took two replies to do so, particularly because your inability to comprehend my first reply led to you insulting a genuine effort to provide accurate, corrective information, and then you opted to challenge me instead.

You called my reply a rant because it had too many sentences. Now here's a jab calling my reply a book that you're too good to read. I've twice replied directly to you to correct your BS misinformation with enough justification deemed necessary to convince you of how absurd and incorrect your replies were. Most people try to learn from their mistakes, but your responses clearly indicate that too much information offends, threatens, and/or bores you—to the point that it becomes a defense mechanism. You think you're wrong because you previously read bad information. In reality, you're wrong because you don't bother to read enough good information. Your replies are the proof.

I don't frequent CF much, but I've seen enough of your replies. They are short-winded vomits that, in as few sentences as possible, contain an absurd amount of blatantly wrong and useless information, and are usually irrelevant and off-topic. Do everyone a favor and keep discussions on point. Provide information that is accurate and verifiable. Opinions are fine to give when warranted, and even so, should be based on sound, factual information. If you're not sure of something, do some research first. If you're sure of something, double-check anyway. Seriously, if you don't know an answer, or can't contribute to finding one, don't reply. Doing so will reduce the length of my replies.

Word count: 300

·
Premium Member
6,759 Posts
Forgive me(!) as I did not read this whole thread, but have a simple question. I have a log-in at Nicoclub...and should I want to download a FSM for my '15, is it just one simple step? Or, is it several topics that must be downloaded individually? TIA

·
Registered
47 Posts
Forgive me(!) as I did not read this whole thread, but have a simple question. I have a log-in at Nicoclub...and should I want to download a FSM for my '15, is it just one simple step? Or, is it several topics that must be downloaded individually? TIA
Ha, all good. You're off the hook.

No login needed. It's several repetitive steps to get all the individual chapters, but it goes by pretty quick. Use the first link I provided, then drill down to your model and year. Once you see a list of all the chapters, you need to open each one and download a copy.

The trick is to right-click each link and choose "Open link in a new tab" (actual text varies by browser), or if you have a clickable wheel on your mouse, click the link with that button. On that new browser tab, there's a "Click here to download a copy" link below the embedded PDF. To speed things up, open multiple tabs for a group of chapters, and then just click that download link on each tab. If you just click the link from the main page without opening in a new tab, you'll end using the Back button a lot, plus drilling down to model/year each time.

Lastly, consolidate all the PDFs into a single folder, like "2015 Frontier FSM" and that's it. The newer FSMs have a lot of chapters with cryptic names. You should be able to infer most of them, but for the rest, use the "FWD" PDF (Index, Table of Contents) to try to determine their name.

Reactions: shift_RUSH

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Wow, another one. Any time you see any incorrect info from me please point it out, as we all can critique it for accuracy. I'm always open to admitting an error but rarely have had to. Looking fwd to some great forum discussion (or vomitus as you say)........lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow, another one. Any time you see any incorrect info from me please point it out, as we all can critique it for accuracy. I'm always open to admitting an error but rarely have had to. Looking fwd to some great forum discussion (or vomitus as you say)........lol
Will do, should be easy.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Frontier CC Midnight Edition 4x4
95 Posts
But tell me what do the guys who have purchased a 2020-2022 W/3.8 9speed do for tech data.
I ended up going directly to Nissan and bought a couple of a day passes to get a access to the service manuals and wire diagrams for the 2020. You can also pick up the manual on CD/DVD for $210.

The site is very dated... it's driven by ActiveX and requires IE to view the manual and Adobe SVG Viewer for diagrams. Chromium based Edge browser will also work but you need to enable ActiveX and reload the page in IE mode. I don't know about other browsers like Firefox, Chrome, Safari etc... I don't plan on doing any heavy maintenance so I'm going to hold off buying the manual plus I don't feel like digging out my old CD/DVD drive.

·
Premium Member
6,759 Posts
Mac user/abuser/browser here. 🤓 I'll figure it out.

Help us learn &/or help us laugh. Hope you two can play nice. LOL You're off to a roaring start! 🤠

Reactions: JetBlack

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mac user/abuser/browser here. 🤓 I'll figure it out.

Help us learn &/or help us laugh. Hope you two can play nice. LOL You're off to a roaring start! 🤠
Mac/Win...same instructions.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Thank god for nico club on behalf of us 2019 & before owners, but 200 bucks is still worth the price of the contained information if you were unlucky enough to buy a 3.8 9spd.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts