Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked but can not decide what one is the best. This is my first oil change on my new Frontier and all of my "older type wrench's" would not work. I've read about the "shops" over tightening the filter and now I am a believer....WOW. Because I drained the oil 1st and then moved on to the filter and with my only transportation I am now under I was able to remove it with my assortment of pipe wrenches!! I have spent the last hour looking for the best wrench out there but reading the reviews has left me frustrated. Some place in this forum is the answer but I am not finding it and would like some directions, PLEASE.

I have never encountered an oil filter installed this tight in my life time or in the worst location that could have only been decided on by a very mean person. It is a dealer installed oil change!!!!! I will not be using them for very many other services if it can be avoided.
I have read every line of info. on all the wrenches on line by everyone but don't trust any of them, so is there any one with a proven and tested wrench to recommend? I await your XPERT ADVICE.:serious:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Most of the time your best tool is your hand. However, if its that stuck that you can get it budge, you try jamming it with a screwdriver to pierce it. Then just turn the handle on the screwdriver to loosen the filter.

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
Access the filter for loosening/tightening through the passenger wheel well w/ front wheels cranked hard right.

Reactions: Skinny06

·
Registered
82 Posts
Without getting into the details of physically getting the wrench orientated onto the filter, I believe the best gripping wrench is a strap wrench. Like the one linked below.

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-filter-wrench/surebilt-3-7-16-in-to-3-3-4-in-standard-oil-filter-wrench/72322_0_0

Hopefully now you are going to be doing your own oil changes and should never run into this problem again. It amazes how tight some dealers and shops think an oil filter needs to be. If done right, it takes very little effort to unscrew.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
341 Posts
Sounds weird, but my strategy is to act like you're hugging the passenger tire. Since I'm right handed, that allows me just the exact orientation to get a decent grip on it and turn. I realize this isn't ideal though, perhaps if you dropped the skid plate you could use the wrenches?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all, I was hoping that I was not on my own but no luck. Avoiding this from now on is no trouble but I was looking for a type of filter wrench that others have used and like. It is now installed the right way and won't be a problem in the future. The Nissan brand filter measures 64mm X 14 flutes and it now has a Mobil 110. 3 diff. strap wrench's would not work at all, they just slipped(it was that tight) and removing PARTS was next. Driving a screw driver thru it was also going to be used but then I dug out my pipe wrench's and it worked. Thanks again for helping. kickedback

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Thank you all, I was hoping that I was not on my own but no luck. Avoiding this from now on is no trouble but I was looking for a type of filter wrench that others have used and like. It is now installed the right way and won't be a problem in the future. The Nissan brand filter measures 64mm X 14 flutes and it now has a Mobil 110. 3 diff. strap wrench's would not work at all, they just slipped(it was that tight) and removing PARTS was next. Driving a screw driver thru it was also going to be used but then I dug out my pipe wrench's and it worked. Thanks again for helping. kickedback
Sometimes, if you wrap a piece of sandpaper over itself grip side out and slip it between the band and the filter, it gives it enough grab to spin the filter off.

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
I've always just used filter pliers like shown above, applying it on the very end of the filter. I can do it through the access whole, but these days I just drop the whole skid place and not have to deal with so much mess and hassle! My Milwaukee cordless electric ratchet zips the bolts off in no time!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use the K&N filters with a 1" nut welded on the end. Then all you need is a socket wrench with an extension to break it loose if it is a little tight. The filter nut is also pre-drilled so you can safety wire it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hey man,

I use a Lisle 63600 oil filter wrench that tightens its grip on the filter as you loosen with a socket wrench. It's spring loaded, so you just push it on the top of the filter and it holds itself there.

Amason has it for $6.86, I've probably had mine for 20 years.

Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SR4Q8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_AiH5CbZTRYADY

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Short story, we bought a used 1975 Chevy Luv about 1980. When it came time to change the oil, I broke my two oil filter wrenches. I tried the big screwdriver method, then I just had a stuck filter with two sliced holes in it. Had a drink, figured I could unbolt that little adapter from engine block, did that. Put adapter in my bench vise, chiseled it off after 30 minutes. Routine after that !!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sometimes, if you wrap a piece of sandpaper over itself grip side out and slip it between the band and the filter, it gives it enough grab to spin the filter off.
Necessity is the mother of invention. I was out in the country when I first changed mine and it was stuck like the OPs. Neither strap wrench worked and I didn’t want to pierce it and be stuck if it wouldn’t come off. What I did have was a bunch of disposable latex gloves and duct tape, so I wrapped a couple pairs around the strap and duct taped them in place. Worked. The new filter is a fram with grip on it, and was hand tightened so hopefully never again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
on my 2016 frontier V6 i have my mechanic us a Purolator PBL14610, O.D. 2.69, height 3.52 , threds M 20 x 1.5. my friends Sentra PBL4612 is O. D. 2.69, height 2.93. theds M20 x 1.5. i wander if the PBL14610 will go on the Sentra?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I always changed my oil myself as I never trust the shop guys. I violated my own rule and had a local shop due it because it was 5 degrees in the garage. Next oil change the filter was a real bastard to get off.....never again. Here’s the result:

·
Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
This what I use and it fits perfectly on our OEM Nissan Filters. Its actually a Toyota part but fits PERFECT.

The Part Number is 09228-06500-02 and is built to last.

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
The PBL14612 is just a shorter version of the PBL14610. If you have the room, then it'll work.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I’m not sure about how anyone else does it and I did not see it mentioned but I’ve always dipped my finger in the fresh oil and rub it on the rubber gasket, just a light coat!
This is why most of the time they are stuck, I’ve never had one stick until I took it once to have the oil changed..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts