Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a lot of cars and trucks in my 30 years of driving in the winters we get in the Syracuse NY area.
I started this season driving my frontier and was shocked at how bad it was in Winter snow driving anything more than a half an inch of snow and it did not want to stop . The anti locks seem to activate way to early.I put weight in the back did not help other than a little traction.then innroke down and purchased 4 rims and 4 hankook ipike tires.tjrse tires have served me well in the past.
Unfortunately this truck still does not want to stop the way a heavy truck should.
Anyone else find this truck is not so great in the snow.
My Tahoe's and escalades and even an old 2wd s10 I had years ago stopped better.
Any ideas .I like the truck other than this issue and the fact it does not get the mpg it should.
I would trade it back in with a loss but it's a lease.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It now has hankook ipike snow tires.its better but not what I think it should be.i agree the stock tires where horrible for the snow.

In my opinion if the anti locks did not activate so soon it would stop better.
I could be looking at an issue where these ipikes are not good on a 4x4 .They where great on fwd.
My Tahoe's 2 door and 4 door both where much better in the snow even without snow tires.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am not a fan of the stock brake feel or the stock tires. With that being said your truck seems to be worse. Any chance you can test another frontier out to see if the same situation? I do not feel that my ABS kicks in more than any other vehicle I have owned even with the crap tires.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I live in the mountains ('05 SE Fronty KC 4x4) and it is amazing in snow. Even when I had some cheap 265/65/17 ATs on it with an empty bed it performed well.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Mine is beautiful in the snow. Brake pedal takes more pressure then other vehicles I have driven but the brakes themselves bite just the same. The biggest factor in traction is tires.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Double check the usual stuff, fluid levels, possible sensor throwing some weird ****. Something sticking in the caliber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I'm in Colorado, I have more of an issue with starting off in snow/ice, I swapped out the stock tires for BFG AT's at 600 miles. Stopping is not a problem, other than 400 lbs of skid plates, I carry very little other weight in the truck, maybe 150 lbs of tools and misc. stuff in the bed.

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
I go so used to the power stop brand ceramic brake pads on my last frontier that the new one really feels weak. I'm going to change pads to get that feel back especially pulling my enclosed trailer.

Clint

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've got no problem with the Frontier, I've been driving pickups exclusively since
I got my first truck in "81". I live in Florida but spend a lot of time up north
with my family. Spent at least a month up there this winter (and it's been a hard
winter up there) and didn't have any noticeable problems with the truck and traction
beyond what I'd expect.

Either there's something wrong with your truck or... something else

·
Registered
397 Posts
...I barely get my ABS to activate but I'm used to driving on "ice roads" between Thule Greenland and Minot ND where I am now...my '17 Frontier is a CC SV v6/6M so with the engine braking/downshifts and my Mastercraft snow shoes she's wearing, the truck does really good on the snow and ice!

...I hardly put her into 4WD unless we have over 6" of snow on the ground...

One of the main things is smooth action when driving on snow and ice; don't make sudden jerky movements, remember to counter steer into the slide and if possible, let off the gas vise harder braking to regain traction...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good advice been driving north of Syracuse NY for some time now. Tons of lake effect snow.part of what I believe I am experiencing is that the frontier takes less pedal effort braking than I am used to .

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I go so used to the power stop brand ceramic brake pads on my last frontier that the new one really feels weak. I'm going to change pads to get that feel back especially pulling my enclosed trailer.

Clint
This is how I feel about the OEM front brake pads and rotors, let alone people using them over 100k before replacing.

Maybe those Hankook ipike snow tires suck did you get the RW11's, they look like good snow tires? I totally love Blizzaks had them on my 2002 WRX and that was a snow rally killer with those on.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
...part of what I believe I am experiencing is that the frontier takes less pedal effort braking than I am used to .
I find just the opposite, but I actually prefer the increased/sizable opportunity for modulation/control = quite a bit less jerky, imho.

Might be worth a trip to the dealer for a checkup since you're still under warranty. Ya never know.
$0.02

Reactions: NightMahar

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agreed .I plan on having the dealer look at it.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I have owned a lot of cars and trucks in my 30 years of driving in the winters we get in the Syracuse NY area.
I started this season driving my frontier and was shocked at how bad it was in Winter snow driving anything more than a half an inch of snow and it did not want to stop . The anti locks seem to activate way to early.I put weight in the back did not help other than a little traction.then innroke down and purchased 4 rims and 4 hankook ipike tires.tjrse tires have served me well in the past.
Unfortunately this truck still does not want to stop the way a heavy truck should.
My Tahoe's and escalades and even an old 2wd s10 I had years ago stopped better.
Any ideas .I like the truck other than this issue and the fact it does not get the mpg it should.

Tahoe, Escalade and any cars are completely different from a truck (as I'm sure you're aware) The S10 is the only corollary. What year was it? Did it have ABS?

I have some issues with snow braking. Situation: road near my house has a short downhill with a cross-road & 4way stop mid way. With a couple inches of snow and an empty bed, the ABS will kick in and I'll slide all the way through the intersection. With 300lbs in the bed over/aft of the axle and it stops as expected. Other fix is EITHER A) grab the e-brake and pull (locking up the rear will override the ABS and let you fully brake) or B) disconnect the yaw sensor under the cupholder which disables the ABS (I sometimes do this when wheeling) You can read about it here.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks I will try some of those ideas.tue escalade u had was the pickup escalade like an avalanche with a 6.2l

·
Registered
504 Posts

I grew up and learned to drive near Syracuse myself. I've also lived in North Dakota, Montana, and Colorado and now Minnesota. My '13 has no problems. About the only difference between mine and yours that matters is the tires so if I had to pick something, that would be it.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
If they weren't so darn expensive, the studded snows I put on my wife's Buick, I would put on the Frontier, problem is they are $300/ea in my size. Nokian Hakkapalita or something like that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ratman. What tires are you running

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.