Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched extensively here and online, to no avail. I have a 2015 Pro-4X. Bought the Curt 7-way harness with a hitch on eBay (from Curt) and bought a Curt Triflex brake controller from eTrailer - which came with a pigtail. Hooked everything up according to the instructions - no issues there. However, the brake circuit (#2 blue wire) is always hot whenever the key is on. The brake controller has no influence, even when unplugged, doesn't change this. All 6 other circuits test fine and work properly. In the right kick panel, the new pigtail has a brown N.O. DPST relay that is somehow in the brake circuit. Whenever plugged in and key on, it latches the two circuits. One or both circuits are for the brakes - as I get 12V on the blue wire when relay is latched (powered). With the brown relay removed, I have tried jumpering each of the two circuits separately, but neither give me the 12V on #2 blue wire. I've written to eTrailer - no response yet. I've checked the other common problem; it is not the suggested switching of the #4 and #2 wires at the receptacle. The trailer I bought is wired correctly, as it was pulled by the trailer salesman with no problems - brakes worked fine.

So, anybody have any ideas why it is not working - or how to further troubleshoot or fix this? I'm running out of ideas. :frown:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did figure one thing out. the brown relay contacts are in the opposite direction as the coil. So I can make the 12V come on by jumpering one or the other or crossed or both of the sets of contacts. Ordered the Nissan 7-way kit, will plug it in and try it.

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
Ordered the Nissan 7-way kit, will plug it in and try it.
Have read here at CF to stick w/ the Nissan/OEM harness. Best of luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update #2: Removed all the aftermarket hardware and installed the genuine Nissan hardware. Same problem. Brake circuit hot all the time. Taking it to the dealer. Will update after that.
Dave

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2015 Pro4x...

Aftermarket seven pin wiring harness. My brakes would engage with the reverse lights. Really made it hard to back up the trailer. :)

In my case, the connectors on the truck were fine, just needed to repair a miswired add-on harness. It is pretty easy (with a helper to press pedals and such) to check the output of the truck connectors (under the driver side rear) to confirm the truck is wired correctly (or not). I eventually built a tester with a 7-pin plug, 10 feet of cable, and a box at the end with LED's for each connection to show the status. There are two LED voltmeters that show the voltage of the 12v line and the brake control voltage. Made troubleshooting by myself much easier. Will post a schematic if there is interest.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
... I eventually built a tester with a 7-pin plug, 10 feet of cable, and a box at the end with LED's for each connection to show the status. There are two LED voltmeters that show the voltage of the 12v line and the brake control voltage. Made troubleshooting by myself much easier. Will post a schematic if there is interest.
yes please

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nissan factory glitch?

Sounds like your problem might be this apparently random recurring glitch at Nissan assembly: hot wire and brake wire reversed at the rear driver side Nissan connector. I ran into this with my 2013 KC SV just today installing 7-way harness from etrailer.com. The solution that worked for me can be found at https://www.etrailer.com/question-70372.html

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
There is a total trailer frontage area recommended by Nissan in the owners manual. Anyone else think that trailer (very nice) is a bit too big for the Frontier? I've been considering a car carrier but would go back to a full size truck to do it. One other point is I had one short bed and four long bed Frontiers and the long bed is much more planted on the road when I pull either of my trailers.

·
Registered
544 Posts
There is a total trailer frontage area recommended by Nissan in the owners manual. Anyone else think that trailer (very nice) is a bit too big for the Frontier? I've been considering a car carrier but would go back to a full size truck to do it. One other point is I had one short bed and four long bed Frontiers and the long bed is much more planted on the road when I pull either of my trailers.
Seems the frontal area is 30 sq ft or 5 x 6 foot... That's crazy small in my opinion, my pontoon boat likely comes close to that... But my opinion counts for not...

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
Safety always comes first, sure physically large things can be pulled buy safely is the key thing.
I've been considering a trailer for my Challenger to take it to gatherings far from home and keep the mileage down and people from it when I'm not around so I'd then buy another Titan or another brand maybe a Ram to pull it.
A few years back pulled a 1969 GTO Judge valued at about $80,000 that my friend bought home and was a nervous wreck pulling it for and hour, it was agreed that he was going to eat any loss if something went south.

Clint

1 - 15 of 15 Posts