Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

I have a 12volt outlet I just wired up in the bed of the Fronty. Problem is, when SOME devices, such as iPhone charger & 12v cooler are hooked up, they give a 'low power' message. Other items, like my wifes cell phone charger, work fine.
I get 12.5 volts w/ a voltmeter. I just re-did the ground, and no luck.
I used a 14 gauge wire to the back & it is fused up correctly right at the battery.
Anyone have any ideas? Am I losing too much amperage w/ the 14 gauge wire? Should I step it up to 12ga?
Thanks!
John

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
IMO 10+AWG. for Batt. to bed run.

G/L.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wuz gonna do 12, but I'll just do 10. Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the specs on the cooler, it only draws 4amps. I don't know why the iPhone wont charge...I can;t imagine it draws much amperage either.
I'm going to try 10 gauge today.
Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
378 Posts
According to the specs on the cooler, it only draws 4amps. I don't know why the iPhone wont charge...I can;t imagine it draws much amperage either.
I'm going to try 10 gauge today.
Thanks for the link!
If you have a 2nd Gen truck, your ground must be off the frame and NOT the battery. Otherwise the ECM will not recognize the draw. All accessories must be frame grounded or your alt will not charge accordingly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was totally the ground. I was just grounding it to the metal around the stoplight; dur. The body is isolated by rubber boots from the frame.
Works awesome now;
now I'm testing the draw-down time w/ the cooler running.
Thanks all,
Jdub

·
Registered
378 Posts
Was totally the ground. I was just grounding it to the metal around the stoplight; dur. The body is isolated by rubber boots from the frame.
Works awesome now;
now I'm testing the draw-down time w/ the cooler running.
Thanks all,
Jdub
Good deal dude, glad it worked out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FWIW,
I ran the cooler (Engel knockoff) until its own low-voltage feature kicked in: around 22 hours. I wanted to find out in my garage if the truck would start. It didn't...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts