Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to do a 105k service on my new (to me) frontier. After browsing the forums and reading through the SM this is the to-do list I've compiled. I just wanted to confer with the wisemen and women of the forums to see if I'm missing anything crucial or if I have anything unnecessary on my list.

I have an 04' inline 4 M/T XE.

Replace spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor
Replace PVC valve
Replace air filter
in cabin micofilter
Replace belts
Replace water pump
Coolant flush
Replace differential fluid
Replace transmission fluid
Flush brake lines
Oil and filter change

Anyone have any critiques of my to-do list?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I also have a 2004 4-cylinder, 5-speed, and 103K miles, mine since 2011.

Since this vehicle is new-to-you, I always take the stance in a similar situation that nothing has been addressed unless I have such receipt or documentation in writing.
Comments - my opinion - in capitals below:
Replace spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor I'VE DONE MY PLUGS, NOT PLANNING TO DO WIRES, CAP, AND ROTOR.

Replace PVC valve TOUGH TO GET TO, I DIDN'T DO MINE

Replace air filter YES

in cabin micofilter I ADDED THAT TO MINE, EASY

Replace belts YES BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW THEIR AGE. KEEP THE OLD ONES AS SPARES; YOU CAN RUN IN A PINCH WITHOUT P/S BELT AND A/C BELT

Replace water pump PERSONALLY, I WOULDN'T DO THIS UNTIL IT LEAKS, BUT NOT TOO DIFFICULT

Coolant flush YES, AND BLEED OUT ALL THE AIR

Replace differential fluid YES

Replace transmission fluid YES; GET A LITTLE PUMP THAT SCREWS ONTO THE GEAR OIL CONTAINER

Flush brake lines I DIDN'T DO ON MINE, I DO IF I EVER HAVE TO DO A HYDRAULIC REPAIR. MY 2004 FRONTIER HAS 260K MILES AND STILL ON FACTORY BRAKE FLUID, NEVER HAS HAD A BRAKE HYDRAULIC ISSUE. And never a hydraulic issue on my 2004 either.

Oil and filter change YES

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have a 2004 4-cylinder, 5-speed, and 103K miles, mine since 2011.

Since this vehicle is new-to-you, I always take the stance in a similar situation that nothing has been addressed unless I have such receipt or documentation in writing.
Thank you for your feedback! I feel the same way when buying a used vehicle. Unless I have proof I assume nothing has been done. That's kind of why I go a little overboard initially. There's a fine line between preventive maintenance and just replacing things unnecessarily. Appreciate your input.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
OP, if you live in a humid environment and especially if the used truck came from the same, then a brake fluid flush might be wise = a peace of mind kind of procedure. I very much trust & appreciate CFer Cusser and his valuable input here, but he lives in the AZ desert where there is very little humidity. .02

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP, if you live in a humid environment and especially if the used truck came from the same, then a brake fluid flush might be wise = a peace of mind kind of procedure. I very much trust & appreciate CFer Cusser and his valuable input here, but he lives in the AZ desert where there is very little humidity. .02
I totally agree. I'm near the coast, not super humid here, but still. I tend to lean towards the side of caution. Especially when I'm dealing with a vehicle I'm unfamiliar with. I can't imagine the truck will complain if I give it more tlc than it's used to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're replacing the water pump I would think timing belt and tensioner as well unless you know they're pretty new.
I'm a fronty newb but don't the 2.4 liter inline 4's have a timing chain not belt? I'm still learning about the differences between models.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
True, I'm in the Arizona desert, and that reflects in my choices.
And true, when I bought our 1998 Frontier (4-cylinder, 5-speed, 2WD) in 2004 with 100K miles on it and zero history, all such fluid and filters were changed. By my 16-year-old daughter, because that would be the only vehicle she would be able to drive. So she did with my "supervision". I'm NOT saying that she was happy to do that task !!!

Yes, timing chain for yours, like on my two.

And when you have the belts off, be sure to spin stuff like the idler pulleys and the alternator, to feel/listen for a bearing going bad. and some of the belt sizes I use might be intentionally 5mm different length that what books and computers list. Here's what I use on my two Frontiers (don't use cheap belts):
Alternator/water pump Nissan 02117-90513 Gates/CarQuest 7355 9.5mm x 920mm
Power steering Nissan 02117-25023 Gates/CarQuest 9495 Goodyear Gatorback 17494 12.5/13mm x 1260mm
AC Nissan 02117-92523 Gates/CarQuest 9365 12.5/13mm x 935mm

Reactions: LazerViking

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True, I'm in the Arizona desert, and that reflects in my choices.
And true, when I bought our 1998 Frontier (4-cylinder, 5-speed, 2WD) in 2004 with 100K miles on it and zero history, all such fluid and filters were changed. By my 16-year-old daughter, because that would be the only vehicle she would be able to drive. So she did with my "supervision". I'm NOT saying that she was happy to do that task !!!

Yes, timing chain for yours, like on my two.

And when you have the belts off, be sure to spin stuff like the idler pulleys and the alternator, to feel/listen for a bearing going bad. and some of the belt sizes I use might be intentionally 5mm different length that what books and computers list. Here's what I use on my two Frontiers (don't use cheap belts):
Alternator/water pump Nissan 02117-90513 Gates/CarQuest 7355 9.5mm x 920mm
Power steering Nissan 02117-25023 Gates/CarQuest 9495 Goodyear Gatorback 17494 12.5/13mm x 1260mm
AC Nissan 02117-92523 Gates/CarQuest 9365 12.5/13mm x 935mm
Very cool that she did the work herself, or with a little supervision.

Thanks again for your help. Why did you go with belts that are 5mm different than stock?

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Because the longer belts gave me little room for adjustment. I think especially on the AC pulley/belt adjustment.

Maybe on the alternator belt too.

The previous owner had receipts showing shop having issues with belts, and her taking truck back to have that fixed, and belt lengths changed. I know one issue when I got it was that the alternator was actually missing the 130mm long pivot bolt and was not securely mounted because of that.

Reactions: LazerViking

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,197 Posts
I have over 280k on the original timing chain on my KA24DE and don't plan on replacing it until necessary.
There's a small filter inside the air cleaner that you may want to also replace.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Because the longer belts gave me little room for adjustment. I think especially on the AC pulley/belt adjustment.

Maybe on the alternator belt too.

The previous owner had receipts showing shop having issues with belts, and her taking truck back to have that fixed, and belt lengths changed. I know one issue when I got it was that the alternator was actually missing the 130mm long pivot bolt and was not securely mounted because of that.
Ahhh I see. Well I’ll see how things go. I’m going to do all the work myself with my dad (mechanic) supervising. I’ll be sure to check the bearings and tensioner a while I’ve got the belts off to. Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have over 280k on the original timing chain on my KA24DE and don't plan on replacing it until necessary.
There's a small filter inside the air cleaner that you may want to also replace.
Ah yes. I did forget about this breather filter. Thanks for the pics and part number too!!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Ah yes. I did forget about this breather filter. Thanks for the pics and part number too!!
No sweat. The oem breather filter in pic has to be cut in half, so it's actually two filters. The 2nd filter stayed in my glove box til it was time to replace again.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Might be wise to check the condition of the bypass hoses all vacuum hoses and replace if necessary. Especially the hose under the BPT valve and the hose that has the orifice inside that also connects to the BPT valve.
The oem hose with orifice cost just under $20 but, if you want to save some money, you can cut out the orifice, unclog it, buy a length of 5/32" vac hose and insert it.
I was able to access and replace the bypass hoses by unbolting the p.s. pump bracket.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Here's a link to the hose w/ orifice info when I had a DTC P0400 issue.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts