Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have a 2008 SE crew-cab Frontier, it's been my work truck and snowy mountain transport for over 100k miles.
I've had the opportunity to spend more time on dirt roads and in empty places & I've started changing things out to get further away from my city life and stay there a little longer.

I recently upgraded my suspension with an OME kit, pretty easy to get on after all the bolts finally come off. I added a set of DC Extreme Country 285/55R16's on some extra rims, loud, but fun. I'm starting to wonder if I should re-gear, or if there is a reliable computer mod to adjust the shift points now that jumped-up from 265/70R16's...

This engine has been great so far, I've kept it bone stock, fed it synthetic and am a little reluctant to mess with it. Re-gearing though seems like a bit of work for the c200k diff. I have, and opens up another can of money when I start thinking about adding a locker or contemplating the M226 with e-locker (if I could ever find one used, that is). Figuring out how to adjust the speedo would be nice too, but I plan to go back to my smaller X-ice tires when winter returns, so I'm hoping it's not too complicated a process.

While I've been looking into that, I'm slowly building and buying some sliders & armor & reworking the drawers I drop in the back for camping. Looking forward to seeing what everyone has done with their rigs and tinkering between the days when I can be on the dirt-

Attachments

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,804 Posts
Welcome to the Club. I don't know if you need to regear unless you go to a lot larger tires or if you tow a lot of weight often. I believe with a 2008 you can still purchase a Superchips Cortex tuner and that opens some power and different shifting. I have also added an intake spacer and CAI and together my truck has enough pep for the 285s I run year round. Our speedo is usually out from factory and a joking response on how to fix it is by adding a 2" lift and 285s to make it accurate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip on the Cortex tuner, while I'm pretty happy with the power I have, long fast grades see me dwelling at 4k+ rpm & I have to take my foot off the pedal to get it shift to the next gear. I can almost see the gas gauge dropping...
I have overdrive on all the time, I guess I want an over-overdrive!

Really, I just want the throttle to be more responsive, so I can change gears by dropping the load with pedal modulation. I think I changed the transmission fluid about a year ago, not sure if thats where I should start.

·
Registered
460 Posts
V8 swap it.

I am in a similar situation. I carry around about 800lbs over stock every day not counting my body weight.

On steep grades I can have it floored and the auto shifts down to third and revs to 4 or 5 grand. Considering that it is floored, it really isn't accelerating quickly, just steadily gaining speed.

I have a cortex tune which did help a lot, but after 800lbs and 123000 miles, it isn't very sprightly.

Try the XTP Intake manifold spacer. Many people have reported beneficial results. Thats my next move if I don't swap a 5.6.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts