Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's another subwoofer option for placement under the front seat. This is a 10" subwoofer with built in amp that puts out some decent bass for my listening tastes and gives me a seat massage on my daily commutes. Its still going through the break in period, but i've been really happy with it so far. Purchased this Boss unit for $136 on amazon and it had good customer reviews. fits nicely under the front seat. i removed the air duct so it lays flat, but when i did a test fit, it fit under the seat with the air duct intact. it has ajdustable subsonic filter, low pass filter, phase shift and remote level control that i mounted under my steering wheel.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
how much?

·
Registered
602 Posts
possibly BASS1200 gonna go do some research right now also

edit: quick search maybe this is it

Great bass from such a small box. The unit easily fit under my 2005 Nissan Frontier's driver seat. Plenty of high quality bass. This really addded some punch to my stock radio. I highly recommend this subwoofer/amp combo.
hmm someone else used this also

BOSS AUDIO SYSTEMS | ENTERTAIN YOURSELF

POWER, RMS

800W

POWER, MAX

1200W

800 w

cant beat that for the sub and the amp wonder if thats what it truly does if so thats pretty good but i cant see it doing that for that price

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
possibly BASS1200 gonna go do some research right now also

edit: quick search maybe this is it

hmm someone else used this also

BOSS AUDIO SYSTEMS | ENTERTAIN YOURSELF

POWER, RMS

800W

POWER, MAX

1200W

800 w

cant beat that for the sub and the amp wonder if thats what it truly does if so thats pretty good but i cant see it doing that for that price
yes, it is the Boss Bass1200 $136 Amazon.com: Boss BASS1200 10-Inch Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer with Remote Subwoofer Level Control: Electronics

I was skeptical when I first ordered it, but I was pleasantly surprised when I powered it up. i havent gone much more than halfway on the remote level control and get plenty of bass. i'm glad i got the 10" rather than the 8". if you see the reviews, there was also a frontier owner that posted a review. out of the box, the settings are all set at the low level so you need to adjust the settings and filters accordingly. once these are tweeked and the remote level control is hooked up, it makes a huge difference. also adjusted the phase to 0*.

there are a lot of positive reviews on the 8" as well. Amazon.com: Boss Audio BASS600 8-Inch Low-Profile Amplified Subwoofer (Single): Electronics

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
uh. i'm thinking these here numbers are a little high, but could be wrong. but who cares about numbers as long as it sounds good, right?!
you would be correct.

14.4v x 70a x 80% efficiency = 800 watts

and i highly doubt that little thing draws 70a of current. and those are generous calculations.

Boss likes to fudge the numbers and test in unrealistic situations. this only becomes a problem if people actually believe the numbers and tries to run 800w to their 800w sub.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah this unit wont rattle your ancestors...and i agree the power is overstated. but for the price i paid, i am more than happy with the sound and flexibility from this unit. plus i still have my rear seat for storage underneath.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
so how much do you want for it shipped? I could throw this under my pass seat to add a lil kick to my current ridiculous set-up. Would be great for daily music.

·
Registered
26 Posts
800w RMS would destroy that sub. Maybe more like 80w. JL Audio's top of the line 10" sub the $650 10W7 can only handle 750w RMS.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I used to run a Blaupunkt 8" self powered sub with an unamped aftermarket system (and wrote about it here.) These things "are what the are" and if you accept them as a step up in bass vs the end all of end all, they can be quite good. I would agree that there is no way that thing is throwing. A simple check of the fuse values should tell you what max amp draw/output can be. That said, there is nothing wrong with 200W running into an efficient shallow sub. Mine ( Pioneer) sounds just fine to me (even against 100W+/channel on the main system.) IMHO, this looks like a decent addition to the very limited nomber of "plug and play" self powered subs that will fit in a frontier.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the fuse on the unit is 25A and they recommend a 30A fuse on the power line.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update - so i returned the boss sub and replaced it with polk mm1040 inside an enclosure that i built. the boss worked well with the stock speakers, but once i upgraded the door speakers and installed an amp, the boss was not up to par with the other upgrades.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sent it back to amazon... now there is a new seat vibrator in the back seat :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts