Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SO I finally got around to installing my 1" Body Lift. Before anyone says anything, 1" is exactly what I wanted. Mostly it was about the gap left after doing lifts and that I didn't want to be too high for bodyroll. It worked out great. I have an LE and was nicely surprised that everything in the front of the truck went all back together. All the plastics, airdam underneath, skidplate, etc without moving the bumper. I did have to take off temporarily my bullbar and lights, front grill, skid plate, and assorted underneath plastics in order to get at the front body mount bolts. Maybe a bit more involved than an SE, XE or Nismo because of the one piece from bumper cover etc.

I used a combination of the stock bolts and some I bought for this lift. I bought M12 1.25 x 150mm class 8.8 for the cab (CC) (but these were too long for 4 of the holes because they are only partially threaded), I would suggest 140mm or 130mm in order to do all 8. And I bought M10 1.25 x 70mm class 8.8 for the bed. So since the 150mms were way long I was actually able to use 4 of the stock bolts and still have a good amount of thread into the mount hole. It went from front of truck to back--> longer bolt 150mm--> stock bolt--> longer 150mm bolt--stock bolt on the cab.

The hardest bolts I had to deal with were 2 of the bed bolts. The one by the gas fill, and the one diagonal by the back bumper. The factory puts blue loctite on the bed bolts.

It took me most of the day by myself but I will say it went way better than I had anticipated. Hopefully nothing got messed up. I did remove the brake wires up by the coil bucket, the rear license plate wires, and I found out after a brake line or something under the drivers side that was on a white bracket. It pulled out on its own when I lifted the cab. oops. BTW, the lift point for the cab was perfect as someone in another thread had said. Right past the drivers door, underneath there is a pinch weld area. In fact I put my block of wood next to the body mount towards the front side and it worked great.

Only thing now is to fab up some 1" steel supports for the bed where it used to rest on the frame.

First 2 Before, last 3 After. Not sure if you can tell in the pics because I already had a 2.5-3" suspension, but I can definitly tell standing next to it and sitting in it.

Attachments

Reactions: TESDAnt138

·
Registered
192 Posts
before and after pics?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Looks great! Where did you get the body lift from or was a DIY and does the rear bumper still sit at stock height?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
good job. I'm pretty sure your the first for a 1". And yes the bed bolts can be a pain. I broke one on the gas cap side and what a ***** tryin to get it out. Well done man.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Wow that is a big difference. I would not have thought it would have been.

Love the fact that you did something different.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
nice job man I normaly hate body lifts on IFS trucks because you cant do a tummy truck but the 1 in is just right get a little more clearance for tires with out screwing everything else up

+1

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks great! Where did you get the body lift from or was a DIY and does the rear bumper still sit at stock height?
I did a DIY. I left the rear bumper where it is. There was already a gap there naturally because of the tailgate, but now there is more of one. Still not bad though.

I still have 4 x 150mm bolts and some puck material (ill have to measure it) I may get rid of if anyone else wants to do a 1":)

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that turned out great! glad to see it finished. you got a better shot of the rear gap by the tire?
the gap of the bed from frame? or gap from tire to wheel well? or bumper gap? I'll have to take another pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I can definitely see the difference. Now I'm considering it.

X2 Mike.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
How strong is the material that you used, is it possible that it would crack under load or due to cold temperature? I'm sure you wouldn't have to worry about temp where you live but for those of us in the colder states that might want to try this do you think it would be an issue? btw nice job.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If you buy the material from Mcmaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/# part# 5243T27 @ $16.92 foot (2.5" for cab) and # 5243T23 @ $19.82 a foot (for bed) then the specs are:

Polyethylene Material - Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW)

Diameter Tolerance
+.060" to +.187"

color - Opaque - Gray

Operating Temperature Range
-450° to +180° F

Softening Point
+165° F

Performance Characteristic - High Impact Strength

Tensile Strength - 6500 psi

Impact Strength - No break

You can get metric bolts here--> http://www.allensfasteners.com/metricbolts.asp

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,040 Posts
the gap of the bed from frame? or gap from tire to wheel well? or bumper gap? I'll have to take another pic tomorrow.
bed from frame please

·
Registered
36 Posts
Very nice! I would actually consider this first before a suspension lift to retain the characteristics of the stock suspension. What a difference! Plenty of room for some larger tires now. Nice work!

Link to your DIY?

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Very nice! I would actually consider this first before a suspension lift to retain the characteristics of the stock suspension. What a difference! Plenty of room for some larger tires now. Nice work!

Link to your DIY?
I used these threads as my guide--> http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/diy-2-body-lift-19685/

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/whats-needed-2-body-lift-19413/

bed from frame please
I'll get a couple pics shortly

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bed from frame please
Here ya go, sorry on the wait. I don't particularly like the gap from the back above the bumper, but there was one there already, just bigger now but not nearly as bad as what it would be if it were a 2"

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
not to hijack the thread, cuz i really would like a 1" BL. If i did it I'd do it for better aproach/departure angles. I'd have to remount the rear bumper and the reciever? Anybody done this, if so how bad was it? Anything else I'd have to do? Looks good NC, thanks for the write up. Im sure a few people would be interested in a small BL.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's a pic of the brake line or whatever it is that I forgot to disconnect from the frame when I lifted the cab. Its on the frame underneath pretty much where your feet are when in the truck. It popped out on its own but I still wish I had know about it prior to jacking the cab up.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 89 Posts